• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any experience OC in University District or International District?

npy610

Hello all,

I'm new to the forums and glad to meet you all! Looking forward to learning a lot on this site.

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me about their experience open carrying in the University District or International District of Seattle? I live in the International District and go to school at UW Seattle so I spend a lot of time in the U district. I've open carried several times in the International District with no problems so far (the homeless thugs that usually harass me left me alone). I've open carried in the U district once and gotten some dirty looks, but that's about it. What's your experience?

Nick

Schlepnier

Well i go to the international district on a semi regular basis and have had no problems. i frequent the uwajimaya/kinokuniya shopping center and they were OC friendly in all my past visits. i have also walked around the area to visit other shops with no problems to report.

As for the U-district. like any where else your right to OC on public property is protected, private property owners can ask you to leave or cover up as is there right and you must comply of face tresspass charges.

Remember that your in the most liberal anti-gun city in the state and probably close to the most anti-gun part of that city when you head towards the U district or capitol hill. be prepared to defend your rights intelligently-download the OC pamplet, learn your rights under state law, as well as terry V ohio(no right to search, siezure or demand of ID absent a crime), deberry V US(no legal terry stop for lawful carry of a firearm) and Glick V commonwealth(police may be audio and video recorded with or without thier concent).

And remember if your approach by law enforcement because some liberal flipped out that you would dare defend yourself... the first words out of your mouth should always be-

"Why am i being detained officer?"

Here is an example of a well educated OCer-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfdEbe7e9GE&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ifv5qfuXmKQ

npy610

thanks for the advice! I'll be sure to do my homework so I'm prepared to deal with overzealous police.

Nick

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

Snip.

And remember if your approach by law enforcement because some liberal flipped out that you would dare defend yourself... the first words out of your mouth should always be-

[strike]"Why am i being detained officer?"[/strike]

Here is an example of a well educated OCer-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfdEbe7e9GE&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ifv5qfuXmKQ

I agree with most everything you said, except what I did a strike through.

NEVER ASSUME you're being detained.

I have learned to ask, "Am I free to leave?" If the answer it "No." Then would ask, "Why am I being detained then officer."

They will make stuff up, lie to you, and try to make you feel guilty. DO NOT buy into it. Don't answer any questions unless your responses are questions. "Did you know that we had X*911 calls?" "So, did they report any criminal activity?"

"What are you doing here?" "Am I free to leave?" "Help us help you." "Am I free to leave?"
"What is your name?/Who are you?" "Am I free to leave?"

The two main questions, "Am I free to leave?" and "Why am I being detained then officer?" are the two big ones to keep asking. When they try to search you announce that you're not waving your 4th amendment 'right' but you will not resist their ILLEGAL search though either.

Or simply say NOTHING AT ALL. Cop, "Hello." You "..*silence*..." Cop "blah blah blah." You, "*silence*."
If you say nothing then there is nothing to be used against you.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Yes, I have carried in both the international district and the U District and even on the UW campus, OC. I am an alum (thus my name gogodawgs!)

I have never had a bad experience in either spot. I don't carry up there often, a few times a year.

Generally I am well presented, short hair cut, black gun in a black holster, with jeans and a dark shirt with a collar usually. So I don't gather many looks and am probably mistaken for ...... well you get it. And I am courteous, and polite and kind and professional when I do carry.

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
I have carried in the U district and businesses as well without problems. I OC'd into the Varsity theatre awhile back much to my amazement. I actually thought they would ask me to leave. Nary a word.

It is the event that made me truly realize that most people around you never actually notice that you have a gun on your belt.

amlevin

I've open carried in the U district once and gotten some dirty looks, but that's about it. What's your experience?

Nick

Don't feel bad, everyone get's dirty looks in the U-District.

It's not the same fun place it once was, back when the UW Student Body President took a whiz off the roof at Herfy's and every block was pretty much filled with students just having fun.

Last edited:

amlevin

Generally I am well presented, short hair cut, black gun in a black holster, with jeans and a dark shirt with a collar usually. So I don't gather many looks and am probably mistaken for ...... well you get it. And I am courteous, and polite and kind and professional when I do carry.

Careful there. You may be accused of being an "impersonator". The courteous and polite will probably give away the fact that you aren't :)

Tawnos

"Am I being detained?"

"Am I free to leave?"

You'll often get different answers to these questions. They'll say "no, you're not being detained." Then "no, you're not free to leave."

Skip the second one, if they answer "no" to the first. Just say "okay, thanks, I'm going to continue on my way, then." Let them make it clear you are, in fact, being detained.

LkWd_Don

I agree with most everything you said, except what I did a strike through.

NEVER ASSUME you're being detained.

I have learned to ask, "Am I free to leave?" If the answer it "No." Then would ask, "Why am I being detained then officer."

They will make stuff up, lie to you, and try to make you feel guilty. DO NOT buy into it. Don't answer any questions unless your responses are questions. "Did you know that we had X*911 calls?" "So, did they report any criminal activity?"

"What are you doing here?" "Am I free to leave?" "Help us help you." "Am I free to leave?"
"What is your name?/Who are you?" "Am I free to leave?"

The two main questions, "Am I free to leave?" and "Why am I being detained then officer?" are the two big ones to keep asking. When they try to search you announce that you're not waving your 4th amendment 'right' but you will not resist their ILLEGAL search though either.
Or simply say NOTHING AT ALL. Cop, "Hello." You "..*silence*..." Cop "blah blah blah." You, "*silence*."
If you say nothing then there is nothing to be used against you.

I'm sorry, if they are reaching for me, I will be pulling back defensively and asking:
If I am not free to leave, what I am being charged with?

Samantha

I have carried in the international district as well as the U district a few times without any problems when I visit Seattle. I've also carried quiet a bit on Capitol Hill and in allot if LGBT owned businesses without any kind of trouble at all.

sudden valley gunner

You'll often get different answers to these questions. They'll say "no, you're not being detained." Then "no, you're not free to leave."

Skip the second one, if they answer "no" to the first. Just say "okay, thanks, I'm going to continue on my way, then." Let them make it clear you are, in fact, being detained.

Yep don't ask permission to be free.

LkWd_Don

That is a fine line where the cops might call it an act of aggression. I agree that it should be fine but, cops tend to be "trigger happy."

Keep save, Pax

Especially true in Seattle! It was a common affliction throughout Pierce County for a long while, but has actually been getting better.
There are Police Chiefs like Bret Farrar do not tolerate it.

In fact, here is an article you may enjoy reading.
http://lakewood-jblm.patch.com/arti...lakewood-city-council-meeting-on-monday-night

Especially where the author states:
Farrar walked over to the man and the two started chatting out of my listening range. There was no yelling, no standoffs, nothing like that. The conversation lasted about a minute, then it was over.

The man left before I could speak to him, so I went back to conduct my interview with Farrar. Before we started, I asked him what his conversation with the armed meeting-goer was all about.

Basically, Farrar told the man that next time, he should alert any officers in the room (chief included) that he has a concealed weapon. The reason? Were gun violence to erupt inside the meeting space, officers would know that he's on their side.
Emphasis added. Many of the Lakewood Police Officers have seen me carry, even in City Hall, and know that I am not a threat to them or LAC's.