• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Connecticut Carry - Press Release - The Gun Violence Taskforce hears from gun owners

Rich B

From: http://ctcarry.com/News/Release/85aaf018-9d80-44f1-bf2d-10171498ce4b

1000+ gun owners flood the legislative office building

Hartford, Connecticut, 1/29/2013:

Connecticut Carry was proud to attend and speak at the hearing of the Bipartisan Task Force on Gun Violence Prevention and Children’s Safety. We joined at least 1000 other fellow pro-rights activists and gun owners who braved cold weather, long lines, public speaking and an all day wait to have our voices heard.

The great work of our members utilizing kind and respectful debating and sharing intelligent and articulate thoughts and ideas is sure to leave an impression on everyone in attendance. We can only hope that the legislators in attendance will respect and honor the vast amount of public opinion they received today.

Good spirits and patience ruled the day despite the treatment of our kind as second class citizens. Lines of good people wrapped around the building waiting to be screened by the metal detectors installed because of some ridiculous and misplaced apparent fear of peaceful gun owners.

The hypocrisy of the metal detectors and armed guards was not lost on most in attendance who noted that the same provisions are not available for schools across the state despite both the LOB and schools having the same designations as ‘Gun Free Zones’.

Would it be acceptable to treat any other generalized group of people this way?

If our legislators are important enough to protect with their own armed police force and metal detectors, why have so many legislators mocked the idea of doing the same in our schools? Why have they not embraced the National Rifle Association’s offer to fund and arrange training for such changes?

Senator Ed Meyer reported to a crowd in a church in Guilford at an anti-rights rally and again in Branford at a similar anti-rights rally that he had looked into the cost of such security, but had concluded that it was cheaper to ban guns instead. Would Senator Meyer or the other legislators agree with reassigning the Capitol Police to guard those schools?

Why not?

More information on this issue can be found on http://ctcarry.com

Written Testimony: http://ctcarry.com/Document/Details/edb0778f-bb83-45f0-a1a0-3d7f67259ccb

Verbal Testimony: http://ctcarry.com/Document/Details/6fe6192f-7e2b-4b30-af13-a4d185df072b

Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

Richard Burgess
President
Connecticut Carry, Inc
Ph: 203-208-9577
Email: rich@ctcarry.com
http://ctcarry.com

davidmcbeth

Banned
Well, no one said they were going to kill any legislator, like one did with SB 1094 in 2011...:) ... I don't think he was convicted of anything ...

I did file several FOIA requests with these legislators asking for records that these goofs relied upon in writing their proposals.

If obtained, then I can more effectively attack the records (or lack of records/data of support) and the proposals.

I expect to get nothing .. then I can say that a records requests yielded no records and that they just made up proposals without any data to support the claims made in the objective section. And then provide data to counter the proposal(s).

brk913

I got there to late, I got in the line outside about 10:45, when noon hit there was still well over 250 people in front of me, since I knew there was no way I could get into the speaker's lottery I huffed 2 miles back to my car, raced home and watched the whole thing on CT-N, Rich, caught your testimony, was it around 7:30 or so? I thank you for staying and speaking for me and others who could not get in. The people that stayed on till almost 3AM are heroes in my book, I have learned my lesson, if something like this happens again I will get there before the doors are opened. I especially liked the guy who pointed his finger and said I am ashamed of you, if you are even considering these bills you should ask yourself why you are in office, it's everything I wanted to say and more.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Well, they would not let me in ... I had a hand scanner in my briefcase.

A cop did not know what it was and asked me what it was. I refused to answer him. So another cop comes over and says "that's a scanner". And he turned to me and asked me a few questions ... I told him that I am not going to answer any interrogatories that could be used against me in a court of law. So he booted me out at about 10:35am.

I knew that they would only take a few people to speak and that the main gallery was already full and the overflow rooms were available.

They changed the time for the hearing like at 8:30 am, when I was in-route, to 1:30 pm from 10:00am.

I had a FIC hearing at 11:00am ... so I wanted to get my name in the lotto to speak but the likelihood of being chosen was slim. After the lotto people were done, it was a first come first serve basis (starting at like 7pm).

After my FIC hearing, I went back to the LOB (no line @ like noon). I hung around and talking to people, mostly pro-gunners exchanging information about Newtown facts and case law, watched some testimony until like 3pm and then took off.

I did walk around and asked cops there if they would be willing to break into peoples' houses and steal their guns/mags. None said no. Some said yes. Most said "I'm not answering".

They should have allowed for a different day rather than have people wait until 3am.

With all this talk about using emergency certification the meeting at Newtown could easily get out of control. I expect 10,000 cops to be there to keep the pro-gunners quite. Yes, I expect the police to act like the police acted during the 1968 convention. They will not allow people near the building and every row inside will have a cop. All "for safety", not to squash our freedom of speech of course.