Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nicest LEO Department in Michigan?

Nicest LEO Department in Michigan?

Everyone here has lived here longer than me, and has had way more experience with LEO's in Michigan. What would be (in your experience) the department with the nicest/most professional officers? I'm taking my MCOLES tests in two weeks and I'm not sure which dept to apply for. Detroit is my backup only because I'm guaranteed to get hired on.

I'd much rather work for a good department with non-crooked officers.
    Molon Labe

[+=] Eleftheria i thanatos [+=]

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheGreek View Post

I'd much rather work for a good department with non-crooked officers.
    But then how are you going to learn how to be a "good cop" lol

Good luck. Don't shoot me.
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 01-29-2013 at 04:45 PM.

Re: Nicest LEO Department in Michigan?

Mike having lived in metro detroit for almost all of my life - I can say you will be hard pressed to find a really professional department in Wayne County. This includes the Sheriff's Dept. You would be far better off looking for a job in Macomb or Oakland Counties. Remember Mike Police Departments are political by nature. In most detroit area PD's the cheif serves at the will and is appointed by the Mayor. This systems lends itself to having cheifs that will just go along with and be as corrupt as the mayor who appoints them.

Good luck young weed chopper - I really hope you can find a good department. You have several strikes against you already IMHO. They are as follows: you show the potential to form independent thoughts. You ask questions of your peers. You exhibit a higher IQ. You appear to actually want to know the law and obey it. Not just simply enforce "policies" as if they were laws. These can all be seen as undesired qualities in a new officer by many departments in that area.

ETA - even Oakland/Macomb Co's have their crappy PD's - Avoid: Warren, Royal Oak, Birmingham, Ferndale, and most of their neighboring cities. MARYSVILLE - 1 trillion

Note*** not bashing just speaking from my experiences. These pd's may have good officers working there but they do the bidding of their corrupt masters - so by association they are grouped together with the criminal officers they protect.
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 01-29-2013 at 06:43 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post

Good luck young weed chopper - I really hope you can find a good department. You have several strikes against you already IMHO. They are as follows: you show the potential to form independent thoughts. You ask questions of your peers. You exhibit a higher IQ. You appear to actually want to know the law and obey it. Not just simply enforce "policies" as if they were laws. These can all be seen as undesired qualities in a new officer by many departments in that area.

Yeah I know, apparently "good cops" aren't what they're looking for these days eh? Maybe I should just start being a mindless, racist asshat who follows absurd orders without questions.

Mike having lived in metro detroit for almost all of my life - I can say you will be hard pressed to find a really professional department in Wayne County. This includes the Sheriff's Dept. You would be far better off looking for a job in Macomb or Oakland Counties. Remember Mike Police Departments are political by nature. In most detroit area PD's the cheif serves at the will and is appointed by the Mayor. This systems lends itself to having cheifs that will just go along with and be as corrupt as the mayor who appoints them.
    I was really leaning towards Wayne County Sheriff to see if I could get in. All the nice cities..Livonia, Northville, Etc. Require college degrees and/or 5 years of LE experience before you can even apply.

Maybe I'll move up to the UP and be a cop in some tiny little town in the middle of nowhere
    Last edited by MikeTheGreek; 01-29-2013 at 07:21 PM.
    Molon Labe

The UP is a option. Just a thing most folks who want to be cops forget. The post office & the railroad each have their own police forces. A good way to get started. Also look for a area that is growing. The southwest is gaining population quickly in particular AZ.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

I'd say your best options in terms of honest PD's would be a toss up between Warren and Taylor.

I have had a lot of interaction with Monroe County Sheriffs Department, all very polite and professional. I have interacted with them professionally as a security officer and personally. Never any issues. However I can't comment on how the new Sheriff will affect the department.

Erie Police Department is small, but also very professional, I know the Chief of Police personally, a real stand up guy, and very pro gun as far as citizens owning and carrying them. To him, armed citizens are a blessing to his line of work.
    Want to keep informed of Open Carry events in your area? Go to www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

For Drama free gun rights discussion, see http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/

Troy isnt that bad afaik...couple of guys i went to high school with are police officers there.
    -NRA Member, GSSF Member, GeorgiaCarry Member, Glock Certified Armorer, Glock 30SF, STI Elektra, M&P9c, NAA Black Widow .22 WMR
    -“I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.”—Mahatma Ghandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    I'd say your best options in terms of honest PD's would be a toss up between Warren and Taylor.
    Mike! This was a sarcastic post. These are two you really want to avoid...

G - you're going to get the kid mixed up with the mental midgets if he takes you serious. TPD is the white version of DPD

Msp
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Birmingham
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

MSP =)

or you could go to a crooked dept.(say ingham co. or Lansing police) and try and straighten them out
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by lil_freak_66 View Post
    MSP =)

or you could go to a crooked dept.(say ingham co. or Lansing police) and try and straighten them out
    MSP yes. The others listed would "Serpico" his a$$.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Serpico
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 01-30-2013 at 08:34 PM.

Livonia pd.

Quote Originally Posted by kubel View Post
    Livonia pd.
    Pretty much grew up in Livonia most of my life on the weekends when I wasn't in Canada. Amazing police force, but I'd need a degree to even apply to them =(
    Molon Labe

I heard one open carrier who has since dropped off this forum (I heard he moved out of State) found the Taylor PD to be extra friendly. Maybe you could look into them?
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    I heard one open carrier who has since dropped off this forum (I heard he moved out of State) found the Taylor PD to be extra friendly. Maybe you could look into them?
    You know Q, I can only hope one day you are treated far better as you truly deserve it.

Mike as with most of his posts take this as sarcasm. His first post about MSP may have been sincere? One can never really tell with him? Phil you are made for political office in my honest opinion. Hope your bid to become a county commissioner is going well.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/v...ection-Results
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 02-01-2013 at 06:36 PM.

Hope your bid to become a county commissioner is going well.
    He'd have to run as a Democrat to win in District 1.
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

Lightbulb

Steer clear of Warren.In my opinion they're rogue and violate citizens as a matter of course! In my case,3 contacts,1 false arrest,1 armed robbery/assault/violation 4th A,and 1 false civil infraction.Three strikes and they're OUT! Agencies in Monroe(friends employed),Lenawee,Livingston and Washtenaw were profesional to me!
    Last edited by hamaneggs; 02-01-2013 at 09:39 PM.
    Today JESUS would tell me to sell my coat and buy two Springfield XD Compact 45acp's!

NRA LIFER,GOA,MOC Inc.,CLSD,MCRGO,UAW! MOLON LABE!!

Quote Originally Posted by hamaneggs View Post
    Steer clear of Warren.In my opinion they're rogue and violate citizens as a matter of course! In my case,3 contacts,1 false arrest,1 armed robbery/assault/violation 4th A,and 1 false civil infraction.!
    And here is a still frame from what was left of the evidence from their recording equipment when they assaulted hamaneggs. They destroyed most of the evidence, but we do have this much to reference.

They have a long and proud history of criminally abusing people, including many from this forum. So yes, indeed, take my earlier comment on them as very sarcastic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WarrenPD.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	9954  
    Last edited by Michigander; 02-02-2013 at 12:54 AM.

Thumbs up

Either Calhoun county or Barry county I know both the Sheriffs nice guys, and their crew thinks so too....

My suggestion to look into the MSP was sincere. Not so much with Taylor.

In my experience dealing with LEO agencies, I can honestly say I've been treated well by all of them. That would include the following. Lansing, East Lansing, Ingham County Sheriff, MSP, US Marshal's service, Michigan Department of Corrections absconder recovery unit, and Fowlerville PD. Now, I have to add, in the case of East Lansing, I was on my way to work, so I was dressed in my security uniform. I don't know if that had any effect or not, or if it was simply the manner in which I dealt with them.

With MSP, I was either on my way to work, or I was going home from work. Again, I would have been dressed in my security uniform.

With Ingham County SD, there were a variety of situations, only one of which was I driving to work.

I work in Fowlerville, so I deal with Fowlerville PD maybe every other month or so. Sometimes they just drive by and say "Hi."

With Lansing PD, it's been an odd combination of situations, but they've always acted friendly, professionally, and I've never had a problem with them. Same goes for US Marshal and MDOC Absconder Recovery Unit.

Oh, and my last encounter with any LEO was with DHS police, and they were all friendly, as the encounter was "unofficial."
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

Jeez, I guess my last post was the kiss of death?
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    Jeez, I guess my last post was the kiss of death?
    You didn't even have to lock the thread for the privilege.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast