• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nicest LEO Department in Michigan?

MikeTheGreek

Everyone here has lived here longer than me, and has had way more experience with LEO's in Michigan. What would be (in your experience) the department with the nicest/most professional officers? I'm taking my MCOLES tests in two weeks and I'm not sure which dept to apply for. Detroit is my backup only because I'm guaranteed to get hired on.

I'd much rather work for a good department with non-crooked officers. :p

FreeInAZ

Mike having lived in metro detroit for almost all of my life - I can say you will be hard pressed to find a really professional department in Wayne County. This includes the Sheriff's Dept. You would be far better off looking for a job in Macomb or Oakland Counties. Remember Mike Police Departments are political by nature. In most detroit area PD's the cheif serves at the will and is appointed by the Mayor. This systems lends itself to having cheifs that will just go along with and be as corrupt as the mayor who appoints them. :rolleyes:

Good luck young weed chopper - I really hope you can find a good department. You have several strikes against you already IMHO. They are as follows: you show the potential to form independent thoughts. You ask questions of your peers. You exhibit a higher IQ. You appear to actually want to know the law and obey it. Not just simply enforce "policies" as if they were laws. These can all be seen as undesired qualities in a new officer by many departments in that area.:confused:

ETA - even Oakland/Macomb Co's have their crappy PD's - Avoid: Warren, Royal Oak, Birmingham, Ferndale, and most of their neighboring cities. MARYSVILLE - 1 trillion

Note*** not bashing just speaking from my experiences. These pd's may have good officers working there but they do the bidding of their corrupt masters - so by association they are grouped together with the criminal officers they protect.

Last edited:

MikeTheGreek

Good luck young weed chopper - I really hope you can find a good department. You have several strikes against you already IMHO. They are as follows: you show the potential to form independent thoughts. You ask questions of your peers. You exhibit a higher IQ. You appear to actually want to know the law and obey it. Not just simply enforce "policies" as if they were laws. These can all be seen as undesired qualities in a new officer by many departments in that area.:confused:

Yeah I know, apparently "good cops" aren't what they're looking for these days eh? Maybe I should just start being a mindless, racist asshat who follows absurd orders without questions.

Mike having lived in metro detroit for almost all of my life - I can say you will be hard pressed to find a really professional department in Wayne County. This includes the Sheriff's Dept. You would be far better off looking for a job in Macomb or Oakland Counties. Remember Mike Police Departments are political by nature. In most detroit area PD's the cheif serves at the will and is appointed by the Mayor. This systems lends itself to having cheifs that will just go along with and be as corrupt as the mayor who appoints them.

I was really leaning towards Wayne County Sheriff to see if I could get in. All the nice cities..Livonia, Northville, Etc. Require college degrees and/or 5 years of LE experience before you can even apply.

Maybe I'll move up to the UP and be a cop in some tiny little town in the middle of nowhere :)

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

The UP is a option. Just a thing most folks who want to be cops forget. The post office & the railroad each have their own police forces. A good way to get started. Also look for a area that is growing. The southwest is gaining population quickly in particular AZ. :D

Ezerharden

I have had a lot of interaction with Monroe County Sheriffs Department, all very polite and professional. I have interacted with them professionally as a security officer and personally. Never any issues. However I can't comment on how the new Sheriff will affect the department.

Erie Police Department is small, but also very professional, I know the Chief of Police personally, a real stand up guy, and very pro gun as far as citizens owning and carrying them. To him, armed citizens are a blessing to his line of work.

RabbiVJ

Campaign Veteran
Troy isnt that bad afaik...couple of guys i went to high school with are police officers there.

FreeInAZ

I'd say your best options in terms of honest PD's would be a toss up between Warren and Taylor.

Mike! This was a sarcastic post. These are two you really want to avoid...

G - you're going to get the kid mixed up with the mental midgets if he takes you serious. TPD is the white version of DPD :eek:

TheQ

I heard one open carrier who has since dropped off this forum (I heard he moved out of State) found the Taylor PD to be extra friendly. Maybe you could look into them?

FreeInAZ

I heard one open carrier who has since dropped off this forum (I heard he moved out of State) found the Taylor PD to be extra friendly. Maybe you could look into them?

You know Q, I can only hope one day you are treated far better as you truly deserve it. ;)

Mike as with most of his posts take this as sarcasm. His first post about MSP may have been sincere? One can never really tell with him? Phil you are made for political office in my honest opinion. Hope your bid to become a county commissioner is going well. :D

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/...IONS/121106002/Ingham-County-Election-Results

Last edited:

Haman J.T.

Steer clear of Warren.In my opinion they're rogue and violate citizens as a matter of course! In my case,3 contacts,1 false arrest,1 armed robbery/assault/violation 4th A,and 1 false civil infraction.Three strikes and they're OUT! Agencies in Monroe(friends employed),Lenawee,Livingston and Washtenaw were profesional to me!

Last edited:

Michigander

Steer clear of Warren.In my opinion they're rogue and violate citizens as a matter of course! In my case,3 contacts,1 false arrest,1 armed robbery/assault/violation 4th A,and 1 false civil infraction.!

And here is a still frame from what was left of the evidence from their recording equipment when they assaulted hamaneggs. They destroyed most of the evidence, but we do have this much to reference.

They have a long and proud history of criminally abusing people, including many from this forum. So yes, indeed, take my earlier comment on them as very sarcastic.

Attachments

• WarrenPD.jpg
    WarrenPD.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 102
Last edited: