• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Something I've noticed regarding CC vs OC supporters

Lindfarms

I'm a Texan with a CHL who carries all the time. The first time I heard about OC possibly coming to Texas last legislation I started doing some real research on the subject and it got me very excited. To have the ability to OC or CC whichever I choose makes a great deal of sense to me. Most of the time I personally would conceal but if I'm on the family farm working and run to town, if I don't feel like wearing pants 2" too big, or if I just freaking feel like it I would open carry. I just want the option to do both and wouldn't judge anyone on which way they choose to carry. I see conceal carry guys jumping all over open carry guys on forums and in person. Open carry supporters hardly ever say anything bad about their counterparts.

We all just want to exercise our freedom and have the ability to defend ourselves..... Why throw stones at the guy who chooses not to hide his gun because you choose to hide yours? I just don't get this mindset. Take that energy and go after the politicians trying to take your guns away from you!

SFCRetired

That is hitting the nail right square on the head!! How you carry is a personal choice (in most states and as it should be), but do carry whenever and where you can.

I'm personally more comfortable open carrying, but if a man or woman is more comfortable concealing, then that is good for them.

Freedom1Man

Part of liberty is the ability to say "NO."

No, I don't want to cover it up.
No, I don't want to carry it openly.

Those who are part of the OC community want their liberty to be recognized and your liberty is part of our liberty.

So long as your choices cause us no harm, why should be dictate them to you?

OC for ME

I'm a Texan with a CHL who carries all the time. The first time I heard about OC possibly coming to Texas last legislation I started doing some real research on the subject and it got me very excited. To have the ability to OC or CC whichever I choose makes a great deal of sense to me. Most of the time I personally would conceal but if I'm on the family farm working and run to town, if I don't feel like wearing pants 2" too big, or if I just freaking feel like it I would open carry. I just want the option to do both and wouldn't judge anyone on which way they choose to carry. I see conceal carry guys jumping all over open carry guys on forums and in person. Open carry supporters hardly ever say anything bad about their counterparts.

We all just want to exercise our freedom and have the ability to defend ourselves..... Why throw stones at the guy who chooses not to hide his gun because you choose to hide yours? I just don't get this mindset. Take that energy and go after the politicians trying to take your guns away from you!
I visit CC centric sites from time to time simply to "toss a skunk into the tent" so to speak. It is quite comical and theraputic, in a weird sort of way, to get CCers all worked up. Many CCers are not very liberty minded after all.

golddigger14s

Activist Member

OMG, Thank you so much for being reasonable. I don't care how you carry, but so many CC only types are so critical of us OC types is insane. I've never seen a OC'er bash a CC'er, but a CC'er will bash us to death. They usually do it with no proof, by the way.

Orion

I agree with the majority of sentiments expressed here. How to carry is a very personal choice, whether OC or CC, but carry itself is the important thing. Personally I prefer to OC, but being in Michigan I tend towards CC in the wintertime. I also CC at family gatherings to keep the peace. I refuse to disarm, and what they don't know won't bother them.

eye95

Carry is a right that has constitutional protection. Concealment is not so protected and is, therefore, subject to regulation by the State (or protection by its constitution), making it a privilege in most States.

They are two separate acts. Thinking of them that way gives amazing clarity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

WalkingWolf

I want the freedom to do both without having to ask permission. Until that happens I will open carry, and probably continue to do so even if permission slips are outlawed.

NoTolerance

Carry is a right that has constitutional protection. Concealment is not so protected and is, therefore, subject to regulation by the State (or protection by its constitution), making it a privilege in most States.

They are two separate acts. Thinking of them that way gives amazing clarity.

That may be true, but it's a weak argument that was apparently sold to and bought by the American Public.

I have the freedom of speech, but the government regulations say I can only use wide-ruled, spiral bound notebooks with a yellow cover and can only print with a pen that doesn't have more than a 0.7mm tip.

After all, it's the freedom that's protected, not the method I use to exercise that right.

As ridiculous as my analogy is, one could use your (the government's) line of reasoning more appropriately in that context than somehow trying to justify any infringement on the Second Amendment which, unlike the other Amendments, explicitly contains the words, "Shall not be infringed."

eye95

That may be true, but it's a weak argument that was apparently sold to and bought by the American Public.

I have the freedom of speech, but the government regulations say I can only use wide-ruled, spiral bound notebooks with a yellow cover and can only print with a pen that doesn't have more than a 0.7mm tip.

After all, it's the freedom that's protected, not the method I use to exercise that right.

As ridiculous as my analogy is, one could use your (the government's) line of reasoning more appropriately in that context than somehow trying to justify any infringement on the Second Amendment which, unlike the other Amendments, explicitly contains the words, "Shall not be infringed."

Who cares if the argument is weak?? Is it valid? Yes, it is.

The act of concealment is separate from the act of carry, is not necessary to exercise the Right of Carry, and does not, in any significant way, ease or make more difficult the exercise of the Right. Your example greatly increases the difficulty of exercising the Right to Write and so is a faulty analogy.

Again, it is not the weakness or the strength of an argument. It is its validity that matters. And I would argue that a valid argument is the strongest argument.

Once again, folks, focus like a laser on the target! Our goal is to normalize carry. Saying carry alone is not good enough, that concealment must be respected too is taking that laser dot off the target. Get focused.

NoTolerance

Who cares if the argument is weak??

I do. You should, too, I would think. I'm not a fan of watching my rights erode under the guise of regulation for the greater good.

The act of concealment is separate from the act of carry, is not necessary to exercise the Right of Carry, and does not, in any significant way, ease or make more difficult the exercise of the Right.

I'm not sure how you're arriving at that conclusion. Having to continually worry that the manner in which you choose to arm yourself may or may not be considered a violation of law certainly does make more difficult the exercise of that Right.

Living in a colder climate state, for example, a winter jacket easily conceals an otherwise openly carried firearm. Are there alternatives? Sure. But how many hoops should one have to jump through in order to "legally" exercise a Right?

Once again, folks, focus like a laser on the target! Our goal is to normalize carry. Saying carry alone is not good enough, that concealment must be respected too is taking that laser dot off the target. Get focused.

In this context, I agree with your overall point. If our sole goal was to normalize the open carry of firearms, you'd be spot on. But if the premise of our argument is that the Right is Natural, recognized and protected by the Constitution, that argument needs to be taken to its logical conclusion, which would include the method in which one chooses to exercise that Right - be it openly or concealed.

Let me ask this: For whose good did the States start making the concealed carry of a firearm (or weapon) a "privilege" rather than a "right"? Who benefited from that?

eye95

The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is not a natural (God-given) right. That God-given (natural) right is the right to self-defense. The RKBA is an enumerated right. You would do well to learn the difference.

Oh, and your misrepresentation of my quote to make it easier to refute is beneath contempt.

Here is what you should have quoted, including the bolded part, if you meant to be honest about what I said:

Who cares if the argument is weak?? Is it valid? Yes, it is.

Moving on. I prefer to discuss with folks who will be honest about it.

NoTolerance

The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is not a natural (God-given) right. That God-given (natural) right is the right to self-defense. The RKBA is an enumerated right. You would do well to learn the difference.

Oh, and your misrepresentation of my quote to make it easier to refute is beneath contempt.

Here is what you should have quoted, including the bolded part, if you meant to be honest about what I said:

Moving on. I prefer to discuss with folks who will be honest about it.

You are so terribly sensitive when people don't slurp up every bit of opinion you put out there as gospel truth, aren't you?

First, I didn't misrepresent your question by any stretch. You see, you asked a question, which I answered. So feel all the contempt you will - I answered a question you asked, without misrepresentation. I opted to ignore the follow-up question because it's irrelevant. Laws are valid by definition - that doesn't make them right.

Your "moving on" mentality is old and tired and seems to be your go-to crutch any time someone doesn't fawn over every word that you choose to write.

It's extraordinarily telling that those that challenge your statements are "beneath contempt" or not worthy of your time or consideration, and that you continually resort to petty accusations and name-calling before adding someone to your infamous ignore list.

With such a high opinion of yourself, I'd think you'd enjoy the opportunity to school us ignorant, lowly folk.

Also telling is the way you personalized this so much, that you've lost the ability to address any of the points I raised or questions I asked of you. But that's fine: I don't have the time or patience for obstinate people, either.

tattedupboy

Other than at my job (I'm a security guard) CC is the only way I carry. I used to be one of those who demonized open carry. Not, it doesn't really matter to me anymore. Just because CC is what is best for me doesn't make it the best for everyone. Whether someone wants to CC, OC, small of back carry, or duct tape their gun to their forehead, it makes no difference to me. Different people have different preferences.

Sent from my a200 using Tapatalk HD

Freedom1Man

You are so terribly sensitive when people don't slurp up every bit of opinion you put out there as gospel truth, aren't you?

First, I didn't misrepresent your question by any stretch. You see, you asked a question, which I answered. So feel all the contempt you will - I answered a question you asked, without misrepresentation. I opted to ignore the follow-up question because it's irrelevant. Laws are valid by definition - that doesn't make them right.

Your "moving on" mentality is old and tired and seems to be your go-to crutch any time someone doesn't fawn over every word that you choose to write.

It's extraordinarily telling that those that challenge your statements are "beneath contempt" or not worthy of your time or consideration, and that you continually resort to petty accusations and name-calling before adding someone to your infamous ignore list.

With such a high opinion of yourself, I'd think you'd enjoy the opportunity to school us ignorant, lowly folk.

Also telling is the way you personalized this so much, that you've lost the ability to address any of the points I raised or questions I asked of you. But that's fine: I don't have the time or patience for obstinate people, either.

This is a normal encounter with him.

Keylock

One thing I've noticed in my own behavior since going to OC a few months back is that I tend to be exceedingly more cordial to people I come into contact with. If I'm not in a hurry and time allows me the opportunity to talk with people when they question my carrying, the interactions go very well. I hadn't planned on being an ambassador for the bearing of arms in the public arena yet it seems to be a result of OCing. I was simply seeking a more physically comfortable method of carrying. The CC guys I've talked to with have all stated to me that they were going to try OC. Haven't had personal, negative conversations with CC'rs other than on forums.

nobama

I visit CC centric sites from time to time simply to "toss a skunk into the tent" so to speak. It is quite comical and theraputic, in a weird sort of way, to get CCers all worked up. Many CCers are not very liberty minded after all.

Thats the dang truth!! I got kicked off a cc forum one time with a very heated debate.Some of those people just dont get it.

papa bear

Just to balance; BGs hide their guns, good guys wear their 's for the whole world to see

if you see a gun in a holster, you can just about bet that person is a good guy