• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Something I've noticed regarding CC vs OC supporters

Elm Creek Smith

No. She did not. When my previous neighbor, a DEA agent, moved in he asked me if I was "...with the Bureau..." because "...all the FEEBs..." wore vests like mine.

Geez. Everyone's a fashion critic!

ECS

Sent from my little slice of Heaven.

Elm Creek Smith

Hey! I happen to LIKE Hawaiian shirts! Of course, my wife dislikes them almost as much as that old vest of mine.

WalkingWolf - If I can find it, I'll post a picture this weekend.

ECS

R.D.

Nothing says "I have a gun" more than an untucked Hawaiian shirt on an old guy.
Now where can I get one of them CC badges?

My wife buys those shirts for me knowing my style of dress is conservative, so if anybody needs any I have them.

Logan 5

"Why can't we all get along?" -- R. King :banana:

I figure if you wanna OC, OC. If you wanna CC, CC. If you wanna AEIOU then you can AEIOU to your hearts content (no, I have no idea what what the acronym AEIOU stands for).

HP995

I hope Texas gets OC. Does it look hopeful there?

Animosity toward OC by CC is driven by fear and shows a confusion of permissions and rights. CC also hurt themselves with that attitude, it helps the current gun control political efforts.

since9

Campaign Veteran
My recommendations, which my friend above endorses, on OC are as follows:

1. Get training on weapons retention.

2. Use holsters with some type of security device, if only a thumbbreak, especially if you're going to be around a lot of people

3. Practice situational awareness at all times.

4. Get over it. By that I mean don't act like you're doing anything special and don't keep touching your sidearms or holsters.

5. Be unfailingly polite, even to people who are hateful.

ECS

Having CC'd for more than two decades and OC'd for more than three years, I concur. Great summary!

Momokahn

I'm the same here in Kansas. I have a CCW license but I carry as I choose each and every day. Last week at a fireworks stand I opened carried and received free fireworks from the owners of the stand because they said they have NEVER seen someone open carry into their stand and they thought it was so cool someone exercising their 2A rights on Independence Day. They told me next year to be sure and come back and they as owners of the stand would be open carrying also.

ron73440

I'm the same here in Kansas. I have a CCW license but I carry as I choose each and every day. Last week at a fireworks stand I opened carried and received free fireworks from the owners of the stand because they said they have NEVER seen someone open carry into their stand and they thought it was so cool someone exercising their 2A rights on Independence Day. They told me next year to be sure and come back and they as owners of the stand would be open carrying also.

Very cool

MackTheKnife

Constitution doesn't delineate

Carry is a right that has constitutional protection. Concealment is not so protected and is, therefore, subject to regulation by the State (or protection by its constitution), making it a privilege in most States.

They are two separate acts. Thinking of them that way gives amazing clarity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

I don't agree, nor can you support, that one form of carry enjoys constitutional protection and the other doesn't. The framers said the "right to keep and bear arms..." They didn't specify open or concealed. I'm sure that some of our forbearers had a concealed gun or two in their time. Yes, states have passed laws that define how, where, when, etc. we can/can't carry, but that doesn't make it constitutional.
Returning to the original subject, whether you OC or CC, don't malign the people who do one vice the other. I have to carry concealed in FL as I don't have a choice. I would love to OC and exercise my constitutional right, but FL doesn't agree.

MackTheKnife

Bravo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps what needs to be considered isn't what "bear arms" means in reference to how those arms are borne attempting to parse the difference between the words "carry" and "conceal" but what "shall not be infringed" means....

"Shall not be infringed" is a direct command from "we the people" to "them the government" that the government does NOT have the power to regulate or control the right of the people to keep and bear arms.

When the government says it has the power to require permission be had from the government in order to bear an arm in a certain way... it isn't the "certain way" that is in contention... it is the fact that the government says it has the power to regulate the right to bear arms by controlling how arms are borne when it requires permission be had to bear an arm in a certain way... and it is the "permission be had from the government" in reference to the bearing of arms that is a direct violation of...

"shall not be infringed".

You are 110%, absolutely correct! Couldn't agree more.

WalkingWolf

I don't agree, nor can you support, that one form of carry enjoys constitutional protection and the other doesn't. The framers said the "right to keep and bear arms..." They didn't specify open or concealed. I'm sure that some of our forbearers had a concealed gun or two in their time. Yes, states have passed laws that define how, where, when, etc. we can/can't carry, but that doesn't make it constitutional.
Returning to the original subject, whether you OC or CC, don't malign the people who do one vice the other. I have to carry concealed in FL as I don't have a choice. I would love to OC and exercise my constitutional right, but FL doesn't agree.

The very purpose of the second amendment was NOT self defense, it was to keep government in line by BEARING arms which is really ridicules to think that concealing a threat to the government to behave is what they intended. Not to forget that the spirit at the time was that open carrying(bear) was the norm and CC was considered cowardly. And that CW laws were written and went unchallenged in the courts. They did not use the term Open Carry, they used the term "bear" which if anybody think it means hide I have to laugh.

NO I do believe they meant display openly for the purpose of keeping not only our government in check, but foreign governments in check. IMO concealed carry is part of self defense, not guarding against tyranny. Self defense is a right outside the second amendment, if concealed carry is to argued as a right it should be argued outside 2A.

Again 2A says nothing about hunting, self defense, sport shooting, or licensing. These are rights that are covered in other parts of the constitution.

eye95

The purpose of the 2A is self-defense. It is just that someday we may need to and together band defend ourselves from a rogue state.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Last edited:

MackTheKnife

The very purpose of the second amendment was NOT self defense, it was to keep government in line by BEARING arms which is really ridicules to think that concealing a threat to the government to behave is what they intended. Not to forget that the spirit at the time was that open carrying(bear) was the norm and CC was considered cowardly. And that CW laws were written and went unchallenged in the courts. They did not use the term Open Carry, they used the term "bear" which if anybody think it means hide I have to laugh.

NO I do believe they meant display openly for the purpose of keeping not only our government in check, but foreign governments in check. IMO concealed carry is part of self defense, not guarding against tyranny. Self defense is a right outside the second amendment, if concealed carry is to argued as a right it should be argued outside 2A.

Again 2A says nothing about hunting, self defense, sport shooting, or licensing. These are rights that are covered in other parts of the constitution.

I spoke to the constitutionality of the manner of carry. I didn't express any view on whether the 2nd applies to self-defence or opposing a tyrannical government. I know what the intent was and is. That was pretty well articulated in the Federalist Papers for example.
As to having to laugh that carrying concealed (as you stated, "hide") as related to bearing arms, why so? Are you telling me that weapons weren't secreted by the colonists on their persons whether it was a firearm, knife, tomahawk, etc.? These are all arms.
And I don't know what part of the Constitution conveys a right to hunting, self-defense, sport shooting, etc. I must have missed that amendment.
Open carry, or concealed carry, falls completely under the right to bear. There is no preference articulated or implied, either way, in the Constitution.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I spoke to the constitutionality of the manner of carry. I didn't express any view on whether the 2nd applies to self-defence or opposing a tyrannical government. I know what the intent was and is. That was pretty well articulated in the Federalist Papers for example.
As to having to laugh that carrying concealed (as you stated, "hide") as related to bearing arms, why so? Are you telling me that weapons weren't secreted by the colonists on their persons whether it was a firearm, knife, tomahawk, etc.? These are all arms.
And I don't know what part of the Constitution conveys a right to hunting, self-defense, sport shooting, etc. I must have missed that amendment.
Open carry, or concealed carry, falls completely under the right to bear. There is no preference articulated or implied, either way, in the Constitution.

First the arms of the day were not really concealable. Second it was not the norm, knives were large and swords could not be concealed. The musket was not concealable, and the pistol was a large and one shot and designed to be used as a bludgeon after being fired. Then again are the concealed weapons laws that were passed that met NO challenge by the courts. And then there is court after court that has ruled against CC as right.

If concealed was a right there would be NO concealed carry permits. It would have been ruled unconstitutional a long time ago, as well as concealed weapons laws. The intent of the 2A was and always has been deterrence, not stealth.