Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Going to Front Range for a few months for school... Conceal Carry help!

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    116

    Going to Front Range for a few months for school... Conceal Carry help!

    I have a Washington CPL, which does not reciprocate with CO. I called a few PDs in CO and they told its a 3 month wait for a CPL and you NEED to have a CO drivers license. Does this mean I cannot conceal carry in CO? I plan on doing a change of address to the apt we've leased.

    Also, curious about gun laws in general. Done a bit of checking up, but deciphering the legal speak is pretty difficult for me. I don't understand lawyer.

    Thanks in advance!
    -LIFETIME NRA MEMBER-
    || SPRINGFIELD LOADED SS || LES BAER CUSTOM CARRY HARD CHROME || SPRINGFIELD TRP ||
    -DONT TREAD ON ME-

  2. #2
    Regular Member Beau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    East of Aurora, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    672
    Yes it means that you can not carry concealed in Colorado. Most counties are taking the full 90 days to issue permits. You can however carry openly in Colorado without a permit. The exception is the city and county of Denver including all Denver owned property. They currently have an enforceable ban on open carry.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    http://www.ColoradoGunOwners.com

    A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

    Colorado Firearm law.
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/colorado/
    Lexis Nexis: Colorado law pertaining to firearms.
    Title 18, Article 12

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    116
    Couldnt i just get a CO drivers license? I will likely be there 7 months.
    Last edited by theaero; 01-29-2013 at 04:33 PM.
    -LIFETIME NRA MEMBER-
    || SPRINGFIELD LOADED SS || LES BAER CUSTOM CARRY HARD CHROME || SPRINGFIELD TRP ||
    -DONT TREAD ON ME-

  4. #4
    Regular Member Beau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    East of Aurora, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    672
    Quote Originally Posted by theaero View Post
    Couldnt i just get a CO drivers license? I will likely be there 7 months.
    Of course you can. When you said a few months i figured 2-3, not 7.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    http://www.ColoradoGunOwners.com

    A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

    Colorado Firearm law.
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/colorado/
    Lexis Nexis: Colorado law pertaining to firearms.
    Title 18, Article 12

  5. #5
    Regular Member PFC HALE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    492

    Going to Front Range for a few months for school... Conceal Carry help!

    you need birth certificate to prove you are a citizen, i had to provide mine when i moved up here from florida. i was born in this country and all the immigrants were getting theirs easier then me...
    HOPE FOR THE BEST, EXPECT THE WORST, PREPARE FOR WAR

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1
    Maybe you should check with the D.A. office. I am sure you will get a straight answer.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Beau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    East of Aurora, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    672
    Quote Originally Posted by PFC HALE View Post
    you need birth certificate to prove you are a citizen, i had to provide mine when i moved up here from florida. i was born in this country and all the immigrants were getting theirs easier then me...
    Provide a birth certificate to whom and to do what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Daddi1911 View Post
    Maybe you should check with the D.A. office. I am sure you will get a straight answer.
    His question was already answered. No, he can not carry concealed with a permit that is not honored by Colorado. Yes, he can carry openly as no permit is required to do so. Yes, once he establishes residency he can apply for a Colorado CHP.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    http://www.ColoradoGunOwners.com

    A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

    Colorado Firearm law.
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/colorado/
    Lexis Nexis: Colorado law pertaining to firearms.
    Title 18, Article 12

  8. #8
    Regular Member PFC HALE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    492

    Going to Front Range for a few months for school... Conceal Carry help!

    Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    Provide a birth certificate to whom and to do what?



    His question was already answered. No, he can not carry concealed with a permit that is not honored by Colorado. Yes, he can carry openly as no permit is required to do so. Yes, once he establishes residency he can apply for a Colorado CHP.
    provide birth certificate to the dmv to get a colorado license. i had a valid florida driver license and i still had to cough up a birth certificate to get a colorado driver license. and not a certificate of birth registration.
    HOPE FOR THE BEST, EXPECT THE WORST, PREPARE FOR WAR

  9. #9
    Regular Member Beau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    East of Aurora, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    672
    Quote Originally Posted by PFC HALE View Post
    provide birth certificate to the dmv to get a colorado license. i had a valid florida driver license and i still had to cough up a birth certificate to get a colorado driver license. and not a certificate of birth registration.
    I see. Thinking back I believe I had to do the same thing when I moved back to Colorado. Even though I possessed a valid Indiana license I had to provide a birth certificate also.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    http://www.ColoradoGunOwners.com

    A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

    Colorado Firearm law.
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/colorado/
    Lexis Nexis: Colorado law pertaining to firearms.
    Title 18, Article 12

  10. #10
    Regular Member Vader33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    I see. Thinking back I believe I had to do the same thing when I moved back to Colorado. Even though I possessed a valid Indiana license I had to provide a birth certificate also.
    I didn't. I moved here in 2008 from Oklahoma with an Ohio DL and all I needed to show was my SS card.

    Back to the topic, to me it seems a little silly to jump through all these hoops just to CC in CO for 7 months...

  11. #11
    Regular Member PFC HALE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    492

    Going to Front Range for a few months for school... Conceal Carry help!

    Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    I see. Thinking back I believe I had to do the same thing when I moved back to Colorado. Even though I possessed a valid Indiana license I had to provide a birth certificate also.
    yeah it royally pissed me off and i had to pay a pretty penny to get a certified copy of my birth certificate from my birthstate since colorado didnt accept my registration of birth certificate that was pressed with the state seal...

    and all the while immigrants were getting their licenses with the greatest of ease right next to me.

    funny how phuqed up this country is, and this was 7 years ago.
    HOPE FOR THE BEST, EXPECT THE WORST, PREPARE FOR WAR

  12. #12
    Regular Member PFC HALE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    492

    Going to Front Range for a few months for school... Conceal Carry help!

    Quote Originally Posted by Vader33 View Post
    I didn't. I moved here in 2008 from Oklahoma with an Ohio DL and all I needed to show was my SS card.

    Back to the topic, to me it seems a little silly to jump through all these hoops just to CC in CO for 7 months...
    it will take 3 months just to get the permit. not worth the hassle if you ask me, $ for DL $ for training course $ for permit... yer lookin over a few hundred just to carry for 3-4 months if that.
    HOPE FOR THE BEST, EXPECT THE WORST, PREPARE FOR WAR

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by PFC HALE View Post
    it will take 3 months just to get the permit. not worth the hassle if you ask me, $ for DL $ for training course $ for permit... yer lookin over a few hundred just to carry for 3-4 months if that.

    How much is CPL? I was hoping I can just do change of address and provide the lease info to PD... Skip the dmv step. After all, what about CPL holders who dont have drivers licenses?
    As to it being worth the hassle, yes it is.

    i know OC is legal-esque in CO, but its still grey. You can get hassled by PD, stores,
    people, etc.

    I will OC if I have to, but CC is preferred. Being armed is important to me, especially in a new state/area I am not as familiar with.
    -LIFETIME NRA MEMBER-
    || SPRINGFIELD LOADED SS || LES BAER CUSTOM CARRY HARD CHROME || SPRINGFIELD TRP ||
    -DONT TREAD ON ME-

  14. #14
    Regular Member PFC HALE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    492

    Going to Front Range for a few months for school... Conceal Carry help!

    cert course around $100-150
    $15 or less for fingerprint
    $125 for application

    required valid colorado DL or colorado id or military id

    application will not be accepted without proof of residency

    reference this where i got mine from

    https://www.co.jefferson.co.us/sheri...iff_T62_R9.htm

    new applicant
    https://www.co.jefferson.co.us/sheri...f_T62_R320.htm

    hope this helps
    HOPE FOR THE BEST, EXPECT THE WORST, PREPARE FOR WAR

  15. #15
    Regular Member Beau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    East of Aurora, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    672
    Quote Originally Posted by theaero View Post
    How much is CPL? I was hoping I can just do change of address and provide the lease info to PD... Skip the dmv step. After all, what about CPL holders who dont have drivers licenses?
    As to it being worth the hassle, yes it is.

    i know OC is legal-esque in CO, but its still grey. You can get hassled by PD, stores,
    people, etc.

    I will OC if I have to, but CC is preferred. Being armed is important to me, especially in a new state/area I am not as familiar with.
    A Colorado CHP is $152.50 and is good for 5 years. You do have to take a firearms training course. A lot of sheriff offices have not been accepting training that was done on-line. Boulder county is one of them. If you already have a certificate from a training course from another state you should be able to use that. Also if you have proof of participation in organized shooting competitions they will accept that. I used my USPSA card as proof of training.

    You can not "skip" the DMV step. After becoming a Colorado resident, you have 30 days to qualify for a Colorado driver license and 90 days to register your vehicle. People that don't have a drivers license would have to obtain a state ID. You can not hold a state ID and a drivers license at the same time.

    OC is not a gray issue in CO. OC is legal. As I said before the only place that has a legal flat out ban on OC is the city and county of Denver. Other cities/counties may restrict OC in public areas but notice must be posted at every entrance to the area to be restricted. Yes you can be hassled for it by police but that goes with any state where it's legal. I myself have never been hassled. I have only been asked to leave two stores, Kohl's and Sam's Club. Businesses have the right to refuse service to anyone they wish. Whether it is because they don't like your gun or your purple shirt.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    http://www.ColoradoGunOwners.com

    A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

    Colorado Firearm law.
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/colorado/
    Lexis Nexis: Colorado law pertaining to firearms.
    Title 18, Article 12

  16. #16
    Regular Member PikesPeakMtnMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    426
    Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    <snip>
    OC is not a gray issue in CO. OC is legal. As I said before the only place that has a legal flat out ban on OC is the city and county of Denver. Other cities/counties may restrict OC in public areas but notice must be posted at every entrance to the area to be restricted. Yes you can be hassled for it by police but that goes with any state where it's legal. I myself have never been hassled. I have only been asked to leave two stores, Kohl's and Sam's Club. Businesses have the right to refuse service to anyone they wish. Whether it is because they don't like your gun or your purple shirt. [/COLOR][/FONT]
    What he said.
    One day your life is going to flash before your eyes, make it worth watching.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by PikesPeakMtnMan View Post
    What he said.
    I just am so unfamiliar with CO laws. WA I know down pat. I gotta relearn a different state now :P. I don't want to accidentally carry somewhere I shouldn't, and get in trouble. I'll be living right next to CSU. Just seems like OCing will make things a lot more difficult for me. If CO is anything like WA, then OCing isn't as easy as strapping on your gun everyday, and going about your life. There are many other things you have to take into consideration.
    -LIFETIME NRA MEMBER-
    || SPRINGFIELD LOADED SS || LES BAER CUSTOM CARRY HARD CHROME || SPRINGFIELD TRP ||
    -DONT TREAD ON ME-

  18. #18
    Regular Member PikesPeakMtnMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    426
    Quote Originally Posted by theaero View Post
    I just am so unfamiliar with CO laws. WA I know down pat. I gotta relearn a different state now :P. I don't want to accidentally carry somewhere I shouldn't, and get in trouble. I'll be living right next to CSU. Just seems like OCing will make things a lot more difficult for me. If CO is anything like WA, then OCing isn't as easy as strapping on your gun everyday, and going about your life. There are many other things you have to take into consideration.

    OCing in Colorado IS that simple, just stay out of Denver city limits and you really don't have to worry about anything else.

    If there is a municipal building or whatever that doesn't want people OCing then they have to post it (required by law), even on private property you're not likely to run into any sort of problem at all.

    In your car, you're considered to be in an extension of your home so you can conceal or whatever you want to do, no restrictions at all, regardless of where you happen to be.
    One day your life is going to flash before your eyes, make it worth watching.

  19. #19
    Regular Member PikesPeakMtnMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    426
    ...and this pamplet may be quite helpful as well.
    One day your life is going to flash before your eyes, make it worth watching.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Northglenn, Colorado
    Posts
    243
    Quote Originally Posted by theaero View Post
    I just am so unfamiliar with CO laws. WA I know down pat. I gotta relearn a different state now :P. I don't want to accidentally carry somewhere I shouldn't, and get in trouble. I'll be living right next to CSU. Just seems like OCing will make things a lot more difficult for me. If CO is anything like WA, then OCing isn't as easy as strapping on your gun everyday, and going about your life. There are many other things you have to take into consideration.
    Well I will say this. I was arrested for OC shortly after the Aurora Theatre shooting. I was at a theatre 10 days later, it happened in Thornton. As the PD came to find out I had committed no crime, per the County DA. Its a shame they didn't listen to me at the time when I informed them that my actions were legal under state law and suggested they let me go.

    They were acting on laws 9 years off the books. As they'll tell you, ignorance of the law is no excuse and that sword cuts both ways. In fact should be double since a police officer should know the laws and changes as part of his job.

    They have been informed of pending civil rights legal action against them and the city on my behalf.

    So, yes, you can get hassled -but you can push back. In general there is less tolerance and more awareness of police excesses today than there was years ago. Actions like this should further convince officials to obey the laws themselves, even as much as the Obama Administration sets a poor example by flaunting laws daily.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •