• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Going to Front Range for a few months for school... Conceal Carry help!

theaero

I have a Washington CPL, which does not reciprocate with CO. I called a few PDs in CO and they told its a 3 month wait for a CPL and you NEED to have a CO drivers license. Does this mean I cannot conceal carry in CO? I plan on doing a change of address to the apt we've leased.

Also, curious about gun laws in general. Done a bit of checking up, but deciphering the legal speak is pretty difficult for me. I don't understand lawyer.

Thanks in advance!

Beau

Yes it means that you can not carry concealed in Colorado. Most counties are taking the full 90 days to issue permits. You can however carry openly in Colorado without a permit. The exception is the city and county of Denver including all Denver owned property. They currently have an enforceable ban on open carry.

PFC HALE

you need birth certificate to prove you are a citizen, i had to provide mine when i moved up here from florida. i was born in this country and all the immigrants were getting theirs easier then me...

Beau

you need birth certificate to prove you are a citizen, i had to provide mine when i moved up here from florida. i was born in this country and all the immigrants were getting theirs easier then me...

Provide a birth certificate to whom and to do what?

Maybe you should check with the D.A. office. I am sure you will get a straight answer.

His question was already answered. No, he can not carry concealed with a permit that is not honored by Colorado. Yes, he can carry openly as no permit is required to do so. Yes, once he establishes residency he can apply for a Colorado CHP.

PFC HALE

Provide a birth certificate to whom and to do what?

His question was already answered. No, he can not carry concealed with a permit that is not honored by Colorado. Yes, he can carry openly as no permit is required to do so. Yes, once he establishes residency he can apply for a Colorado CHP.

provide birth certificate to the dmv to get a colorado license. i had a valid florida driver license and i still had to cough up a birth certificate to get a colorado driver license. and not a certificate of birth registration.

Beau

provide birth certificate to the dmv to get a colorado license. i had a valid florida driver license and i still had to cough up a birth certificate to get a colorado driver license. and not a certificate of birth registration.

I see. Thinking back I believe I had to do the same thing when I moved back to Colorado. Even though I possessed a valid Indiana license I had to provide a birth certificate also.

Vader33

I see. Thinking back I believe I had to do the same thing when I moved back to Colorado. Even though I possessed a valid Indiana license I had to provide a birth certificate also.

I didn't. I moved here in 2008 from Oklahoma with an Ohio DL and all I needed to show was my SS card.

Back to the topic, to me it seems a little silly to jump through all these hoops just to CC in CO for 7 months... :confused::confused:

PFC HALE

yeah it royally pissed me off and i had to pay a pretty penny to get a certified copy of my birth certificate from my birthstate since colorado didnt accept my registration of birth certificate that was pressed with the state seal...

and all the while immigrants were getting their licenses with the greatest of ease right next to me.

funny how phuqed up this country is, and this was 7 years ago.

PFC HALE

I didn't. I moved here in 2008 from Oklahoma with an Ohio DL and all I needed to show was my SS card.

Back to the topic, to me it seems a little silly to jump through all these hoops just to CC in CO for 7 months... :confused::confused:

it will take 3 months just to get the permit. not worth the hassle if you ask me, $ for DL $ for training course $ for permit... yer lookin over a few hundred just to carry for 3-4 months if that.

theaero

it will take 3 months just to get the permit. not worth the hassle if you ask me, $ for DL $ for training course $ for permit... yer lookin over a few hundred just to carry for 3-4 months if that.

How much is CPL? I was hoping I can just do change of address and provide the lease info to PD... Skip the dmv step. After all, what about CPL holders who dont have drivers licenses?
As to it being worth the hassle, yes it is.

i know OC is legal-esque in CO, but its still grey. You can get hassled by PD, stores,
people, etc.

I will OC if I have to, but CC is preferred. Being armed is important to me, especially in a new state/area I am not as familiar with.

Beau

How much is CPL? I was hoping I can just do change of address and provide the lease info to PD... Skip the dmv step. After all, what about CPL holders who dont have drivers licenses?
As to it being worth the hassle, yes it is.

i know OC is legal-esque in CO, but its still grey. You can get hassled by PD, stores,
people, etc.

I will OC if I have to, but CC is preferred. Being armed is important to me, especially in a new state/area I am not as familiar with.

A Colorado CHP is $152.50 and is good for 5 years. You do have to take a firearms training course. A lot of sheriff offices have not been accepting training that was done on-line. Boulder county is one of them. If you already have a certificate from a training course from another state you should be able to use that. Also if you have proof of participation in organized shooting competitions they will accept that. I used my USPSA card as proof of training.

You can not "skip" the DMV step. After becoming a Colorado resident, you have 30 days to qualify for a Colorado driver license and 90 days to register your vehicle. People that don't have a drivers license would have to obtain a state ID. You can not hold a state ID and a drivers license at the same time.

OC is not a gray issue in CO. OC is legal. As I said before the only place that has a legal flat out ban on OC is the city and county of Denver. Other cities/counties may restrict OC in public areas but notice must be posted at every entrance to the area to be restricted. Yes you can be hassled for it by police but that goes with any state where it's legal. I myself have never been hassled. I have only been asked to leave two stores, Kohl's and Sam's Club. Businesses have the right to refuse service to anyone they wish. Whether it is because they don't like your gun or your purple shirt.

PikesPeakMtnMan

<snip>
OC is not a gray issue in CO. OC is legal. As I said before the only place that has a legal flat out ban on OC is the city and county of Denver. Other cities/counties may restrict OC in public areas but notice must be posted at every entrance to the area to be restricted. Yes you can be hassled for it by police but that goes with any state where it's legal. I myself have never been hassled. I have only been asked to leave two stores, Kohl's and Sam's Club. Businesses have the right to refuse service to anyone they wish. Whether it is because they don't like your gun or your purple shirt. [/COLOR][/FONT]

What he said.

theaero

What he said.

I just am so unfamiliar with CO laws. WA I know down pat. I gotta relearn a different state now :p. I don't want to accidentally carry somewhere I shouldn't, and get in trouble. I'll be living right next to CSU. Just seems like OCing will make things a lot more difficult for me. If CO is anything like WA, then OCing isn't as easy as strapping on your gun everyday, and going about your life. There are many other things you have to take into consideration.

PikesPeakMtnMan

I just am so unfamiliar with CO laws. WA I know down pat. I gotta relearn a different state now :p. I don't want to accidentally carry somewhere I shouldn't, and get in trouble. I'll be living right next to CSU. Just seems like OCing will make things a lot more difficult for me. If CO is anything like WA, then OCing isn't as easy as strapping on your gun everyday, and going about your life. There are many other things you have to take into consideration.

OCing in Colorado IS that simple, just stay out of Denver city limits and you really don't have to worry about anything else.

If there is a municipal building or whatever that doesn't want people OCing then they have to post it (required by law), even on private property you're not likely to run into any sort of problem at all.

In your car, you're considered to be in an extension of your home so you can conceal or whatever you want to do, no restrictions at all, regardless of where you happen to be.

Saxxon

Well I will say this. I was arrested for OC shortly after the Aurora Theatre shooting. I was at a theatre 10 days later, it happened in Thornton. As the PD came to find out I had committed no crime, per the County DA. Its a shame they didn't listen to me at the time when I informed them that my actions were legal under state law and suggested they let me go.

They were acting on laws 9 years off the books. As they'll tell you, ignorance of the law is no excuse and that sword cuts both ways. In fact should be double since a police officer should know the laws and changes as part of his job.

They have been informed of pending civil rights legal action against them and the city on my behalf.

So, yes, you can get hassled -but you can push back. In general there is less tolerance and more awareness of police excesses today than there was years ago. Actions like this should further convince officials to obey the laws themselves, even as much as the Obama Administration sets a poor example by flaunting laws daily.