Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Info prior to speaking to recruiter?

Info prior to speaking to recruiter?

Does anyone know if I can do a ROTC program prior to joining the National Guard? I have been wanting to join, but school is getting in the way. I take classes typically every quarter at Bellevue College. I've yet to speak to a recruiter, but plan to soon.

How do I find an ROTC program?
    -LIFETIME NRA MEMBER-
    || SPRINGFIELD LOADED SS || LES BAER CUSTOM CARRY HARD CHROME || SPRINGFIELD TRP ||
    -DONT TREAD ON ME-

Quote Originally Posted by theaero View Post
    Does anyone know if I can do a ROTC program prior to joining the National Guard? I have been wanting to join, but school is getting in the way. I take classes typically every quarter at Bellevue College. I've yet to speak to a recruiter, but plan to soon.

How do I find an ROTC program?
    GOOGLE is your friend.

Last edited by SeattleWingsfan; 01-29-2013 at 04:48 PM.
    Small Business Owner---> Forward Motion Performance. Auto Services, 2A supporter, your gun is welcome and gets you a discount!
    Gun Rights Advocate---> I'll stand up for your rights, even if you don't think it's important.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleWingsfan View Post
    Ive read that, but ive already been in school for awhile... Does that close the door on ROTC?

The main reason I'm interested in ROTC is so I dont have to take a break from school for basic.

Thanks btw!
    -LIFETIME NRA MEMBER-
    || SPRINGFIELD LOADED SS || LES BAER CUSTOM CARRY HARD CHROME || SPRINGFIELD TRP ||
    -DONT TREAD ON ME-

Try contacting someone in the ROTC program at your university.

Thanks for the info. At the moment I'm at BC, whose ROTC program is through Seattle U I believe. I will be talking to a few people next week.

My original plan was to join Marines, but was turned down because of severe food allergies. Natty gaurd seems to be a bit more accepting, less waivers, etc. I would love to be able to serve my country somehow, and going to school during is ideal. Either ROTC, or I just learned they have a plan where you split basic into 4 weeks each, two different summers.
    -LIFETIME NRA MEMBER-
    -DONT TREAD ON ME-

Thanks for the info. At the moment I'm at BC, whose ROTC program is through Seattle U I believe. I will be talking to a few people next week.

My original plan was to join Marines, but was turned down because of severe food allergies. Natty gaurd seems to be a bit more accepting, less waivers, etc. I would love to be able to serve my country somehow, and going to school during is ideal. Either ROTC, or I just learned they have a plan where you split basic into 4 weeks each, two different summers.
    Please don't join any branch of the military. The only thing you'll be serving is empire abroad, a few banksters and "defense" contractors. You may help in murdering innocents abroad. Most importantly, you add to the size of the state, which is squeezing us to death here. The founders were against a standing military because they are injurious to our liberty. It is dishonorable to "serve" in this imperial machine. You have been warned.

COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Attacking vets and currently serving military.
    Last edited by John Pierce; 01-31-2013 at 09:59 AM.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    Listen to what he says. Then decide if you agree with his political position or not.

ROTC is, from my experiences many decades ago, "playing soldier" for the first two years, and was designed that way to weed out those that would not fit into the military culture. The second two years were where you were educated on how to be an officer and examined by the military to determine where they would like to put you.

If ROTC is going to be problematical, you can explore the possibilities of OCS after graduation. Depending on your degree you might even get a bit ahead of the ROTC folks (doctors, lawyers, some engineers aree examples).

My concern, for both you and the military, is that you admit to "severe food allergies". The military is very uncaring about tellingf you what is in what they put in front of you to eat, and has little if any desire to prepare a special diet for anybody. That being the case, you need to look at the risk you will be putting yourself at. More importantly, look at the risk you might be creating for anybody under your command. Whether stateside or in combat it is a bother to have your leader suddenly stop leading. Additionally, if you do not die outright you will be taking troops off task to deal with you - generally considered not good for the mission.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Please don't join any branch of the military. The only thing you'll be serving is empire abroad, a few banksters and "defense" contractors. You may help in murdering innocents abroad. Most importantly, you add to the size of the state, which is squeezing us to death here. The founders were against a standing military because they are injurious to our liberty. It is dishonorable to "serve" in this imperial machine. You have been warned.

All you vets and current military who would attack me......F off.
    At the risk of a time out, you friend are a piece of s h i t.
    Last edited by J1MB0B; 01-30-2013 at 08:03 PM.

Banned
    I served proudly for twenty years. That being said, there is no way I'd join the military now. I could not serve under this president, nor could I be a part of the kind of military he has turned it into.

Despite that, I find the comments of the poster above who hurled a vulgarity at any vets who might disagree with him on this point to be beyond contempt.

Just as contemptible is the vulgarity hurled back.

Can we rationally discuss hot topics without becoming vulgar little children?

I will second eye95's post.

I served twenty-one years and some of those were under Presidents that I would have had a hard time with rendering them proper honors.
    I am glad that I am no longer active duty as this is a president that I could not render honors to.

I will also tell each of you that there are still many fine young professional military men and women serving. I just deplore the way they are being misused by the government.
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

Re: Info prior to speaking to recruiter?

Quote Originally Posted by J1MB0B View Post
    You're pretty twisted bobby. I'm here warning the kid he could be killed or maimed for no reason in some place like Mali or Libya or Af-Pak or Egypt or some other place he couldn't find on a blank map and I'm the pos? Oh, but that recruiter he'll talk to will give it to him straight, yes sir! See the world while fightin the "roaronterr". Let's not even discuss the inverse relationsip between the size of bloody foreign adventures and freedom in der "homeland".

I've never "served" and I'm damn proud. And no child of mine will ever be fodder for the regime either.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

Banned
    Well, you basically invited the response you got with your post. You were spoiling for a fight and got it. The whole thing makes your first post and this response look ridiculous. I hope the mods see things the same way and dispatch both of you guys' posts.

Despicable.

You're pretty twisted bobby. I'm here warning the kid he could be killed or maimed for no reason in some place like Mali or Libya or Af-Pak or Egypt or some other place he couldn't find on a blank map and I'm the pos? Oh, but that recruiter he'll talk to will give it to him straight, yes sir! See the world while fightin the "roaronterr". Let's not even discuss the inverse relationsip between the size of bloody foreign adventures and freedom in der "homeland".

I've never "served" and I'm damn proud. And no child of mine will ever be fodder for the regime either.
    You can have your opinion of the president all you want. Is he bad at his job hell yes. I serve proudly in the military. I joined before the Obama regime and I'm not happy to serve who I do but to tell people that we are faceless killers or constantly on danger of death ourselves well that's ridiculous. Do the world a favor and don't speak for something you've NEVER been a part of. Let those of us who've been there or are there do that.

Quote Originally Posted by KainVictus View Post
    Do the world a favor and don't speak for something you've NEVER been a part of. Let those of us who've been there or are there do that.

LOL. I have to be a part of something to come to a rational and obvious conclusion? You remind me of Gabrielle Giffords testifying in front of the congressional slavers yesterday. She was shot so now she is an expert on "gun safety".

No, I didn't ask you to go, but if I don't pay the taxes to finance your military adventures, health care, retirement benefits, etc, I go to jail. Thanks buddy!

COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Attacking vets and currently serving military.
    Last edited by John Pierce; 01-31-2013 at 10:00 AM.

Obviously you have you're extremely closed minded opinion about all of us but keep in mind we pay those same taxes you do. And we're not the biggest problem in America. And not all of us have anything to do with "killing brown people" matter of fact my naval career has been completely spent supporting my country here in my country.

Banned

I would just stop posting back to this guy. All you are doing is giving him an excuse to repeat his bigotry and his obvious hatred for all of us who served or are serving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

I have edited some of the comments above to removed disrespectful comments about our military. You may discuss public policy issues and leadership failings all you want but you may not insult our men and women in uniform!

John

Thank you John.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Re: Info prior to speaking to recruiter?

Quote Originally Posted by J1MB0B View Post
    +100, I served my country proudly!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    Too lazy to do a blog! Follow me on Twitter instead! @6ShotScott

I'm just internally consistent. I'm a strong libertarian and also relatively well read by today's standards. This can be a very painful condition to live with. No living vet has ever "served" my freedom in any way. My views were first introduced to me by my grandfather who "served" in WW2 on a battleship in the Pacific. He is now ashamed of that "service". Standing armies hurt my liberty and enhance the power of the state. Military "service" in this country at this time is no different than serving in the German military in the 30's and 40's. I've tried to warn the OP, and encourage him to do something productive, which admittedly is getting more and more difficult to do because of the growth of the warfare/welfare state.

Peace.

Founder's Club Member
    Theaero,

I am a former US Marine, so I have some standing to comment. I too would advise to look closely before joining the military.

It was no fun, years later, to realize everything I thought I was doing was just so much cover story designed to make me feel all good and patriotic.

It starts with the federal government. There is a very important distinction to be made. The fedgov is not our country; it is not our nation. Nowhere in the constitution does it say the president or his advisers are the leaders of our society. The people in the fedgov are supposed to be our servants.

Their predecessors created an empire. True, it was more of an economic empire, but it is an empire nonetheless because our military has bases spanning the globe. And, the people currently in the fedgov are continuing to operate that empire.

Politicians lie to us routinely and daily about domestic matters. There is no reason at all to believe they suddenly develop angelic truthfulness when it comes to foreign matters.

Our military is no longer used to protect our interests. It is used to protect and promote the interests of the politicians. And, since there is a close symbiotic relationship with the largest banks and the large defense contractors, the military is used to promote the interests of these two groups, also.

This has been going on for many, many years. Some quick examples. You can find on-line for free a booklet called War is a Racket. The author is a USMC general named Smedley Butler. He wrote it after he retired in the (1930's?) He came to realize the Banana Wars in central America were all about protecting US business interests in central America. He realized he and his troops were used as a highly paid enforcer by the business interests.

During the Viet Nam era, a certain incident called the Gulf of Tonkin was used to justify getting the US more deeply involved in Viet Nam. Several years ago, then-Defense Secretary Robert McNamara expressly admitted the Gulf of Tonkin incident never occurred as reported. There was a brief encounter between a US warship and a couple N. Vietnamese patrol boats. McNamara finally came clean admitting the incident was blown all out of proportion in order to justify vastly increasing US military involvement in Viet Nam. Some 58K Americans were killed in that war.

In Iraq, nobody ever proved more than a few chemical weapons in Saddam Hussein's possession. Certainly, nobody came close to proving nuclear weapons. And, certainly, there was no Al Queda. Hundreds of thousands of Iraqi civilians were killed or had their lives ruined.

Regarding Afghanistan, how was Osama bin Ladin finally finished off? A raid? So, why the massive war? Why not just a raid back in 2002?

More recently, numerous Pakistani civilians have been killed in drone strikes. The US government has all but said that if you are near a terrorist, then you are probably a terrorist, too.

The government's justifications seem to make sense on a superficial level. But, a few questions starts crumbling the government's case.

What's the official count of US casualties in Iraq and Afghanistan? 40K wounded, many with legs and genitals blown off? (Oh, yes. You never hear that discussed. When a mine blows off your legs, it sometimes, perhaps often, destroys your genitals.)

Now for a quick example of how callous these people are. After the first Gulf War, the US pushed for sanctions on Iraq. Hussein, being a criminal, predictably diverted what resources he had away from his citizens. The upshot was a UN report that half a million Iraqi children died because of the economic shortages caused by the sanctions. US Secretary of State Madeline Albright was asked about it in an interview. She said the 500K dead Iraqi children was worth it. Now, think about that for a second. She did not dispute the UN figures. She did not question the UN methodology of the study, nor question their motives. She said it was worth it. Half a million children.

And, a quick example of how stupid these people can be. Not long ago there was an alleged plot "uncovered" to harm the ambassador of an oil ally. The alleged killer turned out to be a Mexican used car salesman or something. The whole government story was so stupid, the media didn't just criticize it--they laughed at it. The matter was quickly dropped.

Our military is not "serving our country." It is serving the interests of the people in the fedgov, the profitability of defense contractors whose lobbyists are always promoting their biggest and best new toys for killing, and the largest banks because vast amounts of the military spending is supported by loans (federal debt). And, while the military is busy not serving our country, it is killing thousands of human beings overseas.

Now, that we're at the other end of my little discussion, I fully acknowledge that some, most, or all of what I wrote may be a little difficult to accept. I would leave you with one thought. Some of the other commenters above are also former military like myself. Even if you cannot accept what we've written at face value, you can ask yourself whether the question is important enough to do more research before getting yourself maimed or killed, or helping to maim or kill some poor joe in another country who's maybe just trying to get the foreigners out of his country. Or, worse, help maim or kill a man, woman, or child who wanted no part of the violence. There is a lot available on-line. Its less common because its not the official government story. And, the media doesn't push that kind of information; but its not hidden. A good place to start is that booklet I mentioned, War is Racket by Smedley Butler. Another good source is the libertarian website at the Mises Institute. Also, videos on YouTube by Ron Paul and Dr. Thomas Woods.

You can still serve your country. Just realize that your country is the 330 million citizens, rather than the government. The man who goes to work in the morning and produces some new computer code, or rebuilds a transmission, or delivers a UPS package is serving his fellow citizens.
    Last edited by Citizen; 01-31-2013 at 12:10 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Theaero,

I am a former US Marine, so I have some standing to comment. I too would advise to look closely before joining the military.
    You stated reality far better than I could ever have done. If I may ask, how long after you left the "service" and/or what age did you uncover the red, white, and blue Matrix? Did you do it before the internet or after?

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Pierce View Post
    I have edited some of the comments above to removed disrespectful comments about our military. You may discuss public policy issues and leadership failings all you want but you may not insult our men and women in uniform!

John
    No offense, John. But, I think you miss the mark.

Years after my service, but before I discovered my complicity in empire, I met a very high-ranking officer in the course of my job. He was retired. I had several opportunities to talk to him. At one point, I thanked him for his service and keeping the peace. He made a subtle odd expression on his face. It was only later that I realized he knew.

In his biography, Marine!, Chesty Puller doesn't bash the military, but he does let the cat peek out of the bag, by exposing the natures of high-ranking officers who forced him into retirement.

Curtis LeMay was willing to risk WWIII during the Cuban Missile crisis. And, he killed vast numbers of German and Japanese civilians with his saturation bombing missions.

And, none of those officers fell from the sky right into a uniform with eagles or stars on the collar. Every one of them started out as a fresh-faced lieutenant, his nature and inclinations already there.

It would be foolish to think the rest of the ranks do not contain similar men, and in quantity.

Even the newest, lowliest private cannot escape rejection of a Nuremburg Defense. His culpability may be lower, but its not non-existent. The troops know this, too. Wanta take odds on why the suicide rate is so high in the US military?

I am former military; I don't care if someone insults me because I know he's right. If he's off-base or overly harsh, its merely a matter of degree. He's more right than wrong.

Please abandon this PC intolerance of harsh criticism for the military. Other forum members will make a critic support his statements, will point out where he paints with too broad a brush.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Have you considered the local rescue squad, fire or police departments?
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast