• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Making One a "Target" for Getting Mugged

Michigander

I have been OCing since 2007. In November of last year, I had someone stalk me who clearly was interested in stealing my gun based on his body language which was easily interpreted as pre attack indicators. In a very short nutshell, I quickly got off the sidewalk, turned around, got into a defensive posture, stared him down, and he then went the other way.

If you OC long enough, even if only in good neighborhoods as was the case with the guy who stalked me, it can happen. It's astronomically unlikely going by what we've seen so far, but it is delusional to think it doesn't happen. I have spoken to two plain clothes security guards who have been attacked and had to struggle over their guns. Granted that was in bad areas, but again, it can and does happen.

All that said, it is important to bear in mind that the majority of OCers to date have been white males who even if carrying concealed or unarmed wouldn't look like good targets to begin with. As the practice becomes ever more popular, and more and more people who look unimposing and have no formal training with guns do it, I would think it a near certainty that it will become more common. It is because of this that I cannot in good conscience try and pretend that OCing is safe and easy and universally effective at preempting trouble, even after the cops stop messing with people in this or that city/county/state. I think OCing should be regarded as an experts form of carry, or at least not something for the novice to do regularly. I would strongly suggest that anyone who OC's as they go about their lives understand combat tactics as well as conflict communication, because if the situation gets bad, it could keep you out of prison or a grave.

Roger Phillips from Suarez International did what I consider to be a good write up on OCing safely. He has something of a grudge against the political aspect of OCing, I believe largely because of people on this site slamming him, but if you set that aside, I think he has some good advice. Here is the write up- http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...ons/122866-do-s-don-ts-open-carry-part-i.html

Last edited:

Aknazer

SNIP

...Roger Phillips from Suarez International did what I consider to be a good write up on OCing safely. He has something of a grudge against the political aspect of OCing, I believe largely because of people on this site slamming him, but if you set that aside, I think he has some good advice. Here is the write up- http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...ons/122866-do-s-don-ts-open-carry-part-i.html

This guy hates OCing. I remember when this was first put up and I had actually commented on their boards (the proper boards for Suarez and Roger Phillips is warrior talk and not defensive carry). What did trying to have a conversation and stating why I disagreed with certain things get me? Repeated yells that I was a "political activist only" (he has a scale of like 1-5 with a 2 being the political activist and a 5 being a highly trained "expert") and was wrong. What did using facts and numbers and showing how I ranked higher on his scale than "political activist only" get me? They ignored the facts, ignored the numbers, ignored the training and experience that I have, and claimed I was a "political activist only." I then asked for their cites to back up their claims and what did that get me? Banned from their forums for "troll/political activist only."

So no, he doesn't have a grudge against the "political aspect" of OCing, he has a grudge against OCing. And should you disagree with anything him or his company says then they're going to sneer at you while looking down their noses. And if you continue to disprove that which they claim they will ignore any valid arguement you mention while repeating their mantra. And should you continue then they will do what they can to make you simply go away so that you can't taint their way of thinking and thus can maintain the control they have over those that follow them for not knowing otherwise.

mtbinva

This is an old one and has been brought up numerous times. Get ready for some bad news.

Your feeling of joy at your "discovery" is about to be followed by the crushing feeling of having your hopes dashed on the rocks of reality, kinda like the guy who thought he struck gold finding out that it is iron pyrite.

Note that I avoided using the word "fool" as in "fool's gold." Oops, I just used the word twice.

And now THAT is my signiture line!!! Thanks eye95!!!

Aknazer

I should slightly rephrase my last post. It isn't that he "hates" OC. He just thinks one shouldn't do it the majority of the time and that CC is far superior than OC the majority of the time. And I knew I shouldn't have clicked on the link, but I did it anyways. I like how he brings up a situation where people were befriended at a shooting range as an example for why you shouldn't OC, he doesn't provide other incidents, but when you point to the Kennesaw incident he dismisses it as a rarity and that a single instance doesn't really prove much. Gah that thread got me riled up as it got me remembering why I got banned from his forums. At least the defensive carry site had more people questioning what he was saying and not just drinking the koolaid.

Note that I'm not saying that he doesn't bring up some good points or his training is bad or anything. Only that I have a serious problem with his "holier than thou" attitude.

rushcreek2

Recalling the old axiom " Noting happens in a vacuum" I would offer up that observations that OC MAY result in the OC'er being targeted for their gun is a very limitted perception of the whole picture.

I would suggest that when the criminally inclined observes an armed individual out in the public square they will process the experience something like this:

1. This armed person IS NOT A SHEEP.

2. This person has the capacity to hurt me.

3.. A " COP? Can't be sure.

4.. Are there others like this armed individual present on the premises ? - Can't be sure.

5. This person poses a RISK to MY safety therefore the "plan" is cancelled.

As has already been pointed out the OC'er CAN conduct themselves in a manner that would lessen the threat assessment by a criminal - but the phrase "Do you feel LUCKY today - PUNK ?" is still going to be ringing in his ears.

FreeInAZ

Wow what a great idea - attack someone who is armed with a deadly weapon (atleast one that is visible - they may have others hidden...). I hope all the bad guys adopt this strategy. Soon there will be none of them left. :banana:

TravisNM

OP, I recently experienced a situation where I believe OC prevented a bad situation. I was hanging out late-night with a fellow OCer at the local Dunkin Donuts when a couple of shady-looking guys stepped out of the shadows across the parking lot. They walked with a purpose across the lot to a position directly in front of us, about 15 feet away, then stopped. They stood there talking amongst themselves for about 30 seconds, taking turns looking around while the other stared at us. After I started to get the fuzzy feeling in my gut I realized I was facing them in a position where they couldn't easily see what was on my hip. I then turned 90 degrees to face my friend so my carry would, instead, face these two. At that moment the guy staring at us tapped the other guy on the shoulders, said something, and they both proceeded to walk back from exactly where they came. I will never know if their plan that night was innocent or malicious but given their actions I feel that the mere sight of resistance and possible loss of life most-likely prevented a dangerous crime.