Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Prowler shot, killed at Vancouver Washington home

Prowler shot, killed at Vancouver Washington home

problem solved.
    HOPE FOR THE BEST, EXPECT THE WORST, PREPARE FOR WAR

Founder's Club Member
    I personally can't see shooting a prowler.

What if its a peeping-tom? Peeping isn't a capital offense. Unless a homeowner investigates the prowler and the prowler then offers threat of grave bodily injury or death, I just cannot see killing someone for it.

And, that's just the offense. It doesn't even touch on the criminal investigation of the shooter or the possibility of being sued by the survivors of the prowler.

Its probably just me, but I've already decided that the government has the system rigged against the defender (more or less depending on law in the jurisdiction), and I'm giving the burglar the house. Meaning, if I am home alone, and a burglar breaks in one door---I am going out the other door. There is nothing--nothing--in my home so valuable that it outweighs the risk of criminal prosecution or civil lawsuit. A criminal homicide defense can start at $20K. I imagine a civil defense can't be much behind that, if at all. There is nothing in my home worth that. Not the TV. Not the computer. Nothing.

He comes in the front door, I go out the back door, calling the cops on the way. Oh, I might first yell, "I've got a gun. Go away and leave me alone." But, if that doesn't do the trick, the shrubs outside the master bedroom window are gonna get some broken boughs.
    Last edited by Citizen; 01-29-2013 at 07:05 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Update
    A man accused of shooting and killing a suspected prowler in a Vancouver neighborhood has been arrested and charged with murder.

Quote Originally Posted by adam3176 View Post
    Yea the system wants people to be desperate. That way they can make you all beg for more security for the shortage they will create. And they will have you fighting your own people that are trying to survive. Stealing is no excuse. But when people are desperate to live they will do what they have to.

Thats why they will create shortage of food money and housing. So keep thinking you are free
    huh???

Ditto Citizen as to there needs to be a threat to life or limb before using deadly force and about 15 minutes ago it was reported a Portland Man was arrested for carrying an izu concealed, better have that concealed license.
    http://www.kptv.com/story/20802301/p...to-show-friend
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    I personally can't see shooting a prowler.

What if its a peeping-tom? Peeping isn't a capital offense. Unless a homeowner investigates the prowler and the prowler then offers threat of grave bodily injury or death, I just cannot see killing someone for it.

And, that's just the offense. It doesn't even touch on the criminal investigation of the shooter or the possibility of being sued by the survivors of the prowler.

Its probably just me, but I've already decided that the government has the system rigged against the defender (more or less depending on law in the jurisdiction), and I'm giving the burglar the house. Meaning, if I am home alone, and a burglar breaks in one door---I am going out the other door. There is nothing--nothing--in my home so valuable that it outweighs the risk of criminal prosecution or civil lawsuit. A criminal homicide defense can start at $20K. I imagine a civil defense can't be much behind that, if at all. There is nothing in my home worth that. Not the TV. Not the computer. Nothing.

He comes in the front door, I go out the back door, calling the cops on the way. Oh, I might first yell, "I've got a gun. Go away and leave me alone." But, if that doesn't do the trick, the shrubs outside the master bedroom window are gonna get some broken boughs.
    750 dollars is the felony breaking point here in Washington.
    http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9A.56.040

I would never shoot a prowler, a thief on the other hand.... Is attempting to commit a felony.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Quote Originally Posted by PFC HALE View Post
    huh???
    I'm going to assume this guy is Freedom1man's friend who joined him with the anti-social security sign at the rally.

this is more conspiracy ramblings from him.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

There is virtually nothing in the article on the actual shooting. But it's not looking good if he's already been arrested for murder.

This guy is probably in handcuffs though becuase he chose to talk too much. hopefully he has a lawyer now and has ceased talking to them.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Re: Prowler shot, killed at Vancouver Washington home

The second that they enter my home the invader is viable threat to me and will only be warned once. Then I will do whatever I have to do to eliminate the threat. But I can't say that I would shoot a prowler. But again, it all depends on the situation.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Class B Felony, residential burglary

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9A.52.025

Homicide By other person When justifiable

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?Cite=9A.16.050

Prowler=/=justifiable in the general case, from that news article, who knows, but that they went straight to murder, would indicate some information not available. Hope he has a good lawyer.

The shooters MySpace page says he is married, a father and served as a combat engineer in the Marine Corps.

Something is not right. To arrest a man at his home is problematic. The man shot a man outside of his house. That still has the possibility to be self-defense. It still has the possibility to be curtilage. Although it's not a good idea to leave your domicile if you are armed, in a safe position and have contacted 911.

Police arrested a northeast Vancouver man for shooting and killing an alleged prowler outside his house early Tuesday morning.
    The homeowner does not have a criminal record.

Sean H. Doucette, 27, was later booked into the Clark County Jail on suspicion of second-degree murder. Doucette does not have a criminal record, according to the Washington Courts website

The prosecutor seems to understand the law. (But there is still Josh's case...)(And there is still current anti gun hype...)

A similar incident occurred in Vancouver last year. In that case, a man who shot an intruder in his bedroom did not face any criminal charges.
    The accused should be familiar with use of force....

Doucette has been employed for about four years as a patrol officer with First Response Inc. in Portland, said First Response owner David Foglio. He is licensed as an armed security officer by the state of Oregon. Doucette’s MySpace page says he’s an Evergreen High School graduate and a Marine.
    There is just something about this story that is not adding up....

http://www.columbian.com/news/2013/j...northeast-van/
    Last edited by gogodawgs; 01-30-2013 at 12:09 AM.
    Live Free or Die!

Thats how they destroy countries. Create shortage desperate people. Then use media to get the people to turn on others.. While the global controllers are never seen. You think its not happening right now? look around you
    again i say HUH??? how are your ramblings relative to me saying problem solved?

are you related to barettachick?

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    Something is not right. To arrest a man at his home is problematic. The man shot a man outside of his house. That still has the possibility to be self-defense. It still has the possibility to be curtilage. Although it's not a good idea to leave your domicile if you are armed, in a safe position and have contacted 911.
    The homeowner does not have a criminal record.
    The prosecutor seems to understand the law. (But there is still Josh's case...)(And there is still current anti gun hype...)
    The accused should be familiar with use of force....
    There is just something about this story that is not adding up....
    http://www.columbian.com/news/2013/j...northeast-van/
    There is a possibility that he took the advice of some here and other forums, shut up and don't talk the police....So they went on what information they had at the time and arrested him.
    This is always a possibility when involved in a shooting, wonder if he claimed self defense before shutting up and waiting for an attorney?
    Last edited by BigDave; 01-30-2013 at 12:18 AM.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.

Ramblings? All you have to do is look back at history and you will see the truth. Germany, Russia, China, They disarmed the people. Staged events to Discredit the Population for Government control over the population before they rounded them up. But you can't see it happening here in this country?
    again, my first post in this thread was "problem solved"

how are any of your replies coherently relative to my statement "problem solved"?????

i seriously think you are related to barretta92fsidiot as you distinctfully resemble her stupid off the wall left field replies relating nothing to what is replied to...

move on troll.

adam3176, thank you for derailing this thread. Other forum members are trying to keep it on topic but you just don't know when to quit.

Citizen, I agree with your statement that prowling is not worth killing over. If someone comes into my house it becomes a different matter entirely.
    My property has ADT signs and strobe lights that are triggered if the alarm goes off to mark the house for first responders.
    If they come in during the day/evening I probably won't have the alarm set but my dogs will be barking. If they ignore three large barking dogs then they are an immediate threat to my well being and will be dealt with.
    If they come at night then the alarm will go off and the dogs will be barking. If they still come in then they are an immediate threat and will be dealt with.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

Quote Originally Posted by decklin View Post
    adam3176, thank you for derailing this thread. Other forum members are trying to keep it on topic but you just don't know when to quit.

Citizen, I agree with your statement that prowling is not worth killing over. If someone comes into my house it becomes a different matter entirely.
    My property has ADT signs and strobe lights that are triggered if the alarm goes off to mark the house for first responders.
    If they come in during the day/evening I probably won't have the alarm set but my dogs will be barking. If they ignore three large barking dogs then they are an immediate threat to my well being and will be dealt with.
    If they come at night then the alarm will go off and the dogs will be barking. If they still come in then they are an immediate threat and will be dealt with.
    Trespassers be warned! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trespasser_001.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	9935 8" target at 15 yards
    Lets Unite and REMIND our Government that WE are the source of their authority and that WE demand our Rights be returned, Unabridged, Non-infringed, without denial or disparagement. The faults of a few, reflect badly on many, I therefore do not suggest anyone support WAC. My EDC is either a H&K USP .40 or a Taurus 689 .357 filled with Snake Loads

Thumbs up

Not enough info to make a decision, i will keep waiting to see more info on this.
    +thought for the day+
    ++victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none++

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    There is a possibility that he took the advice of some here and other forums, shut up and don't talk the police....So they went on what information they had at the time and arrested him.
    This is always a possibility when involved in a shooting, wonder if he claimed self defense before shutting up and waiting for an attorney?
    So they went on very little information and assumptions?

We don't know the whole story. Like Gogo says something doesn't add up.

And I still say don't talk to police, let your lawyer do the talking.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post

This.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    Ditto Citizen as to there needs to be a threat to life or limb before using deadly force and about 15 minutes ago it was reported a Portland Man was arrested for carrying an izu concealed, better have that concealed license.
    http://www.kptv.com/story/20802301/p...to-show-friend
    The IZU was later identified as an UZI rifle (16 in barrel and folding stock) that had been re-barreled with a subgun barrel. He took it to the barbershop to show it off and someone saw him take it out of the car and take it into the barbershop. 911 call and the LEOs watched and waited (to hell with the people inside) and when he left and got in his vehicle they stopped him. Subgun barrel on a stocked weapon makes it an NFA item and it looks like he had no tax stamp.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    And you are more then welcome to sit in jail as he is until information is uncovered.

Police in general do not release information on investigations and the majority of information that makes it out to the public comes from the people involved or witnesses

The things that don't add up, is that there has been a lack of information and likely from the "Shut Up and Asked For Your Attorney" mantra.

There is more information this morning about the incident http://www.kptv.com/story/20761307/m...vancouver-home

I don't know if the story was edited since the most recent comments, but the fact that the body was found in the street may present problems for the shooter. His friend did say some things that made me a little less suspicious of him:

James Halk said he was sleeping on his friend's couch before a morning fishing trip when loud voices woke him up around 4 a.m.

"I didn't know exactly what was going on. I thought they were loading the boat. That was not what was going on. I just heard screaming. 'You'd better stop. You'd better stop.' And next thing I heard was the gunshot," Halk said.

Halk said he stayed inside until police arrived. When he walked out, he saw a man's body.
    "It was in the street," Halk said.

Later in the day, Halk said officers came to his friend's home to investigate car break-ins on the street. Vancouver police have not said whether that investigation is linked to the shooting.

If (IF) the dead guy was prowling cars and came after the shooter, he may have been justified in shooting. It would seem unlikely that he would just shoot someone given his background and lack of criminal record. And of there is a lot of real estate between being justified and proving that you were. Glad I'm not in that spot. I'm pretty sure I'd go investigate if I thought I heard someone breaking into my car. I'd probably yell at them too. I'd certainly defend myself if they came at me. But of course I don't know what actually happened in this incident.

Quote Originally Posted by Flopsweat View Post
    I don't know if the story was edited since the most recent comments, but the fact that the body was found in the street may present problems for the shooter. His friend did say some things that made me a little less suspicious of him:

James Halk said he was sleeping on his friend's couch before a morning fishing trip when loud voices woke him up around 4 a.m.

"I didn't know exactly what was going on. I thought they were loading the boat. That was not what was going on. I just heard screaming. 'You'd better stop. You'd better stop.' And next thing I heard was the gunshot," Halk said.

Halk said he stayed inside until police arrived. When he walked out, he saw a man's body.
    "It was in the street," Halk said.

Later in the day, Halk said officers came to his friend's home to investigate car break-ins on the street.
    Vancouver police have not said whether that investigation is linked to the shooting.

If (IF) the dead guy was prowling cars and came after the shooter, he may have been justified in shooting. It would seem unlikely that he would just shoot someone given his background and lack of criminal record. And of there is a lot of real estate between being justified and proving that you were. Glad I'm not in that spot. I'm pretty sure I'd go investigate if I thought I heard someone breaking into my car. I'd probably yell at them too. I'd certainly defend myself if they came at me. But of course I don't know what actually happened in this incident.
    I think Halk is a neighbors friend not his??

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast