• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Prowler shot, killed at Vancouver Washington home

adam3176

again i say HUH??? how are your ramblings relative to me saying problem solved?

are you related to barettachick?

Ramblings? All you have to do is look back at history and you will see the truth. Germany, Russia, China, They disarmed the people. Staged events to Discredit the Population for Government control over the population before they rounded them up. But you can't see it happening here in this country?

PFC HALE

Ramblings? All you have to do is look back at history and you will see the truth. Germany, Russia, China, They disarmed the people. Staged events to Discredit the Population for Government control over the population before they rounded them up. But you can't see it happening here in this country?

again, my first post in this thread was "problem solved"

how are any of your replies coherently relative to my statement "problem solved"?????

i seriously think you are related to barretta92fsidiot as you distinctfully resemble her stupid off the wall left field replies relating nothing to what is replied to...

move on troll.

decklin

adam3176, thank you for derailing this thread. Other forum members are trying to keep it on topic but you just don't know when to quit.

Citizen, I agree with your statement that prowling is not worth killing over. If someone comes into my house it becomes a different matter entirely.
My property has ADT signs and strobe lights that are triggered if the alarm goes off to mark the house for first responders.
If they come in during the day/evening I probably won't have the alarm set but my dogs will be barking. If they ignore three large barking dogs then they are an immediate threat to my well being and will be dealt with.
If they come at night then the alarm will go off and the dogs will be barking. If they still come in then they are an immediate threat and will be dealt with.

LkWd_Don

adam3176, thank you for derailing this thread. Other forum members are trying to keep it on topic but you just don't know when to quit.

Citizen, I agree with your statement that prowling is not worth killing over. If someone comes into my house it becomes a different matter entirely.
My property has ADT signs and strobe lights that are triggered if the alarm goes off to mark the house for first responders.
If they come in during the day/evening I probably won't have the alarm set but my dogs will be barking. If they ignore three large barking dogs then they are an immediate threat to my well being and will be dealt with.
If they come at night then the alarm will go off and the dogs will be barking. If they still come in then they are an immediate threat and will be dealt with.

Trespassers be warned! Trespasser_001.jpg 8" target at 15 yards

sudden valley gunner

There is a possibility that he took the advice of some here and other forums, shut up and don't talk the police....So they went on what information they had at the time and arrested him.
This is always a possibility when involved in a shooting, wonder if he claimed self defense before shutting up and waiting for an attorney?

So they went on very little information and assumptions? :rolleyes:

We don't know the whole story. Like Gogo says something doesn't add up.

And I still say don't talk to police, let your lawyer do the talking.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Ditto Citizen as to there needs to be a threat to life or limb before using deadly force and about 15 minutes ago it was reported a Portland Man was arrested for carrying an izu concealed, better have that concealed license.
http://www.kptv.com/story/20802301/police-man-arrested-after-bringing-uzi-to-show-friend

The IZU was later identified as an UZI rifle (16 in barrel and folding stock) that had been re-barreled with a subgun barrel. He took it to the barbershop to show it off and someone saw him take it out of the car and take it into the barbershop. 911 call and the LEOs watched and waited (to hell with the people inside) and when he left and got in his vehicle they stopped him. Subgun barrel on a stocked weapon makes it an NFA item and it looks like he had no tax stamp.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
So they went on very little information and assumptions? :rolleyes:
We don't know the whole story. Like Gogo says something doesn't add up.
And I still say don't talk to police, let your lawyer do the talking.

And you are more then welcome to sit in jail as he is until information is uncovered. :eek::lol:

Police in general do not release information on investigations and the majority of information that makes it out to the public comes from the people involved or witnesses

The things that don't add up, is that there has been a lack of information and likely from the "Shut Up and Asked For Your Attorney" mantra.

There is more information this morning about the incident http://www.kptv.com/story/20761307/major-crimes-team-investigating-shooting-at-vancouver-home

Flopsweat

I don't know if the story was edited since the most recent comments, but the fact that the body was found in the street may present problems for the shooter. His friend did say some things that made me a little less suspicious of him:

James Halk said he was sleeping on his friend's couch before a morning fishing trip when loud voices woke him up around 4 a.m.

"I didn't know exactly what was going on. I thought they were loading the boat. That was not what was going on. I just heard screaming. 'You'd better stop. You'd better stop.' And next thing I heard was the gunshot," Halk said.

Halk said he stayed inside until police arrived. When he walked out, he saw a man's body.
"It was in the street," Halk said.

Later in the day, Halk said officers came to his friend's home to investigate car break-ins on the street. Vancouver police have not said whether that investigation is linked to the shooting.

If (IF) the dead guy was prowling cars and came after the shooter, he may have been justified in shooting. It would seem unlikely that he would just shoot someone given his background and lack of criminal record. And of there is a lot of real estate between being justified and proving that you were. Glad I'm not in that spot. I'm pretty sure I'd go investigate if I thought I heard someone breaking into my car. I'd probably yell at them too. I'd certainly defend myself if they came at me. But of course I don't know what actually happened in this incident.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
I don't know if the story was edited since the most recent comments, but the fact that the body was found in the street may present problems for the shooter. His friend did say some things that made me a little less suspicious of him:

James Halk said he was sleeping on his friend's couch before a morning fishing trip when loud voices woke him up around 4 a.m.

"I didn't know exactly what was going on. I thought they were loading the boat. That was not what was going on. I just heard screaming. 'You'd better stop. You'd better stop.' And next thing I heard was the gunshot," Halk said.

Halk said he stayed inside until police arrived. When he walked out, he saw a man's body.
"It was in the street," Halk said.

Later in the day, Halk said officers came to his friend's home to investigate car break-ins on the street.
Vancouver police have not said whether that investigation is linked to the shooting.

If (IF) the dead guy was prowling cars and came after the shooter, he may have been justified in shooting. It would seem unlikely that he would just shoot someone given his background and lack of criminal record. And of there is a lot of real estate between being justified and proving that you were. Glad I'm not in that spot. I'm pretty sure I'd go investigate if I thought I heard someone breaking into my car. I'd probably yell at them too. I'd certainly defend myself if they came at me. But of course I don't know what actually happened in this incident.

I think Halk is a neighbors friend not his??

bwboley

Activist Member

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Now we are getting some of the missing pieces. http://www.kptv.com/story/20835791/fight-outside-vancouver-home-led-to-shooting-prowlers-death

A defense attorney said Doucette had just come home from work around 4 a.m. Tuesday when he heard a car alarm go off across the street. Doucette told his wife to call 911 while he went to try to contain the suspected prowler, the attorney said.

So he LEFT the security of his home. You don't tell your wife to call 911 simply because a car alarm goes off, he clearly knew that someone was outside. His stated goal is to 'contain' the prowler. As many on this forum have stated, we are NOT law enforcement. This is a poor move on his part.

A fight ensued between Doucette and 19-year-old Iosif Dumitrash, according to Doucette's wife.

Proving it's a poor move is getting into an altercation. Obviously confronting a prowler could of turned out deadly for Doucette. Which is why he should of stayed in his home.

Detectives cited information from an independent witness, who told them Doucette and Dumitrash fought and then fell on the ground. When they fell, both men separated from each other, and Dumitrash "began to walk away," authorities said.

Now the prowler walks away, confirmed by someone who heard the alarm or scuffle and is not related to the accused.

That's when Doucette fired the fatal shots, the court documents said.

If this is the eye witness account, then this gun owner has a serious problem. If forensics back up the witness then conviction is probably certain.

Officers responded and found numerous empty shell casings in the street, close to where Dumitrash's body was found.

Physical evidence in the charging documents will be tough to overcome.

In the circumstances above I am not sure that claiming self-defense would of benefited the accused.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

While I agree with what most of Gogodawgs has said, I have a problem with the "we are not police, stay in your home" mentality being applied against an accused person. while it is generally the most prudent choice, fact is there is nothing illegal about walking up to someone in public and talking to them. So this whole idea of "provocation" by going to confront someone in the act of a crime should, in my opinion, not be allowed as a legal argument, the only provokation that should matter is who threw the first punch, and who was the first to withdraw from the fight.

I find it wierd that the DA would immediately go for murder, instead of pleading him out to manslaughter... maybe he did and the offer was refused though.

adam3176

I have seen hints in the Predictive media programing that they might role out laws that make it Illegal for you to protect yourself. You may say BS, But my research proves otherwise.
They will at some point come out and claim that there will be no need to defend yourself after the guns are off the street (yea right).
I seen with these so called shootings in media they claim (Police were Seconds away) Really? Now that's interesting Since they said that with the Aurora shooting and sandyhook, And a few others.
Then they say Police were Seconds away to protect them, As they slowly Demonize the Citizenry of this country to claim we cant protect ourselves and people around us. Its all Illusions

amlevin

I find it wierd that the DA would immediately go for murder, instead of pleading him out to manslaughter... maybe he did and the offer was refused though.

Since when does a Prosecutor start "Pleading" with a subject before the person is arraigned? You're way ahead of the game.

Looking at this from a Prosecutor's standpoint (no, I'm not one, just trying to look at it as if I were) why in the world would he offer any "deal" if he has a slam-dunk case with iron clad witness statements along with hard evidence? This is the kind of case that almost every Prosecutor would love to post on his office wall as a "full meal deal conviction".

This shooter shouldn't expect any sympathy from the Prosecutor with the current political climate. His predicament should be a strong message to those here that think they have some special powers just because they carry a gun.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
I would not shoot someone unless they are a physical threat coming through my door. If someone was just "prowling", I would yell outside that the police were on the way.

Attachments

• funny gun.jpg
    funny gun.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 144

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran