Thread: TC Mall gun policy?

TC Mall gun policy?

On my last trip to the Traverse City mall I looked all over and could not find any no firearms signs. Is there any weapons policy at the mall or is it a free to carry gun zone?
    "Fight like you train, train like you fight"

I would suggest considering no sign to mean you should go ahead and carry as legal, but you can always inquire in person, or by phone or email if you wish to get a direct answer.

Quote Originally Posted by fire suppressor View Post
    On my last trip to the Traverse City mall I looked all over and could not find any no firearms signs. Is there any weapons policy at the mall or is it a free to carry gun zone?
    The way I see it, if there are no EASILY visible signs, and you have to "go looking all over" to see if there are? Then you're free to carry. I don't go out of my way to look for signs. If they don't want firearms, I expect a sign to be posted on the door/window where it can be easily seen by anyone entering.
    Molon Labe

[+=] Eleftheria i thanatos [+=]

Quote Originally Posted by fire suppressor View Post
    When coming up on an intersection, I don't look all over for a stop sign. I just look at the side where it's usually at, and if it's there I stop . . . if it's not I keep going.

No need to sprain your neck . . . if "no guns" isn't clearly on the entrance, it's a "free to carry" zone (except legally defined PFZs, of course).
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Regular Member Springfield Smitty's Avatar
    OKC, OK (Heading back to MI very soon - thank goodness)
    I have OC'ed there more times than I could count and have never had an issue.
    -U.S. Army Veteran (2002-2005) 11BVB4 (Infantry, Airborne, Ranger, some other stuff) SGT (E-5)
    -Public Service Professional - I've done it all: LEO, FF, and EMT
    -Certified NRA Instructor
    -CPL / CCW (whatever other acronym you can think of for carrying a concealed pistol) Instructor
    -Co-founder of OKOCA

I am not an attorney. None of my statements should be accepted, nor are they intended to be offered, as legal advice or fact of law.

My understanding is no sign, no problem. Which is a good thing since I have cc'd there every time that i've been there.

Grand Traverse Mall

I've been CC'ing for about 4 years and will occassionally OC. Never had a problem until recently at Grand Traverse Mall. Had my kids with me and let them play at the kids area. Took my coat off and sat down. Eventually, a security guard walked past, stopped, called on his talkie, and 2 others showed up. One approached and asked to talk to me, and informed me that they did not allow CC or OC in the mall. This surprised me as I have OC'd there often and was never approached. He was "sure" that this was posted at all the entrances as well. We walked to the main entrance, and as I stood there watching him read the sign, he said, "well, we'll have to fix that, 'cuz I'm sure they don't allow it."
    I have contacted the Mall twice asking what their policy is, with no reply as of yet.

I have been in the mall cc and oc many times. Never had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DLarsen View Post
    We walked to the main entrance, and as I stood there watching him read the sign, he said, "well, we'll have to fix that, 'cuz I'm sure they don't allow it."
    Mall ninja can't even keep the list of customer rules straight in his head. God help us if he wants to become a cop and enforce the MCL against us.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Exclamation UPDATE: No OC or CC in the Grand Traverse Mall

After my encounter with mall security, no posted signs, and conflicting information, I went to the mall this morning to speak to the GM. I asked him what, if any, was the Mall policy on open or conceal carry. After some discussion, including the MCRGO website listing anti-gun businesses, he said they do not allow either in the building. I informed him that since I was not allowed to protect my family while in the building, that I would not be shopping there anymore, and that I would be happy to post their business on the list so that others would know that they are not welcome there either.

Quote Originally Posted by DLarsen View Post
    After my encounter with mall security, no posted signs, and conflicting information, I went to the mall this morning to speak to the GM. I asked him what, if any, was the Mall policy on open or conceal carry. After some discussion, including the MCRGO website listing anti-gun businesses, he said they do not allow either in the building. I informed him that since I was not allowed to protect my family while in the building, that I would not be shopping there anymore, and that I would be happy to post their business on the list so that others would know that they are not welcome there either.
    That is unfortunate

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Mall ninja can't even keep the list of customer rules straight in his head. God help us if he wants to become a cop and enforce the MCL against us.
    I maybe wrong but I'm fairly sure this guy got his career started in mall security. Last I heard he's up for promotion in Jackson's PD. Conatct him to find out more or get his version of the "CCW" law. at: palbrecht@cityofjackson.org or call 517-768-8787

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi