• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TC Mall gun policy?

fire suppressor

On my last trip to the Traverse City mall I looked all over and could not find any no firearms signs. Is there any weapons policy at the mall or is it a free to carry gun zone?

Michigander

I would suggest considering no sign to mean you should go ahead and carry as legal, but you can always inquire in person, or by phone or email if you wish to get a direct answer.

MikeTheGreek

On my last trip to the Traverse City mall I looked all over and could not find any no firearms signs. Is there any weapons policy at the mall or is it a free to carry gun zone?

The way I see it, if there are no EASILY visible signs, and you have to "go looking all over" to see if there are? Then you're free to carry. I don't go out of my way to look for signs. If they don't want firearms, I expect a sign to be posted on the door/window where it can be easily seen by anyone entering.

DanM

When coming up on an intersection, I don't look all over for a stop sign. I just look at the side where it's usually at, and if it's there I stop . . . if it's not I keep going.

No need to sprain your neck . . . if "no guns" isn't clearly on the entrance, it's a "free to carry" zone (except legally defined PFZs, of course).

DLarsen

Grand Traverse Mall

I've been CC'ing for about 4 years and will occassionally OC. Never had a problem until recently at Grand Traverse Mall. Had my kids with me and let them play at the kids area. Took my coat off and sat down. Eventually, a security guard walked past, stopped, called on his talkie, and 2 others showed up. One approached and asked to talk to me, and informed me that they did not allow CC or OC in the mall. This surprised me as I have OC'd there often and was never approached. He was "sure" that this was posted at all the entrances as well. We walked to the main entrance, and as I stood there watching him read the sign, he said, "well, we'll have to fix that, 'cuz I'm sure they don't allow it."
I have contacted the Mall twice asking what their policy is, with no reply as of yet.

DanM

We walked to the main entrance, and as I stood there watching him read the sign, he said, "well, we'll have to fix that, 'cuz I'm sure they don't allow it."

Mall ninja can't even keep the list of customer rules straight in his head. God help us if he wants to become a cop and enforce the MCL against us.

DLarsen

UPDATE: No OC or CC in the Grand Traverse Mall

After my encounter with mall security, no posted signs, and conflicting information, I went to the mall this morning to speak to the GM. I asked him what, if any, was the Mall policy on open or conceal carry. After some discussion, including the MCRGO website listing anti-gun businesses, he said they do not allow either in the building. I informed him that since I was not allowed to protect my family while in the building, that I would not be shopping there anymore, and that I would be happy to post their business on the list so that others would know that they are not welcome there either.

NMadole

After my encounter with mall security, no posted signs, and conflicting information, I went to the mall this morning to speak to the GM. I asked him what, if any, was the Mall policy on open or conceal carry. After some discussion, including the MCRGO website listing anti-gun businesses, he said they do not allow either in the building. I informed him that since I was not allowed to protect my family while in the building, that I would not be shopping there anymore, and that I would be happy to post their business on the list so that others would know that they are not welcome there either.

That is unfortunate

FreeInAZ

Mall ninja can't even keep the list of customer rules straight in his head. God help us if he wants to become a cop and enforce the MCL against us.

I maybe wrong but I'm fairly sure this guy got his career started in mall security. Last I heard he's up for promotion in Jackson's PD. :rolleyes: Conatct him to find out more or get his version of the "CCW" law. at: palbrecht@cityofjackson.org or call 517-768-8787

[video=youtube;hxMaJKEVTAo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxMaJKEVTAo[/video]