Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Man arrested after bringing Uzi to show friend

  1. #1
    Activist Member bwboley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Portland/Vancouver, ,
    Posts
    252

    Man arrested after bringing Uzi to show friend

    http://www.kptv.com/story/20802301/p...to-show-friend

    Investigators said an Uzi 9mm caliber rifle was located on the back seat of the vehicle.

    Ryan Presley, 30, was arrested and charged with unlawful possession of a firearm and unlawful possession of certain short-barreled firearms. Police said the short barrel on the gun makes it illegal.

    Isn't a Uzi a pistol so short barrel not a issue?

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Quote Originally Posted by bwboley View Post
    http://www.kptv.com/story/20802301/p...to-show-friend

    Investigators said an Uzi 9mm caliber rifle was located on the back seat of the vehicle.

    Ryan Presley, 30, was arrested and charged with unlawful possession of a firearm and unlawful possession of certain short-barreled firearms. Police said the short barrel on the gun makes it illegal.

    Isn't a Uzi a pistol so short barrel not a issue?
    I'm pretty sure the fact that it has a stock makes it a rifle, and a barrel less than 16" makes it a short barreled rifle (SBR), which must be registered and tax-paid with the ATF.

  3. #3
    Activist Member bwboley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Portland/Vancouver, ,
    Posts
    252
    Yea im confused
    Police said Presley legally purchased the gun, but did not have a concealed weapons permit.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Fallschirmjäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    3,915
    Many (most? all?) UZI rifle that had the 16-inch barrel also had a false 'normal length' display barrel as well. If Mr. Presley had the 'fake' barrel installed then there is no violation of Federal law. Additionally, I would hazard a guess that the police, based upon the story which says he exited a business and placed the firearm in the back of his vehicle, lacked an reasonable suspicion of illegal activity.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Cremator75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Beaverton, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    393

    Re: Man arrested after bringing Uzi to show friend

    Some conflicting statements:

    "Police said the short barrel on the gun makes it illegal."

    "Police said Presley legally purchased the gun, but did not have a concealed weapons permit."

    How can a gun be "legally purchased" but "illegal to own"?

  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    Many (most? all?) UZI rifle that had the 16-inch barrel also had a false 'normal length' display barrel as well. If Mr. Presley had the 'fake' barrel installed then there is no violation of Federal law. Additionally, I would hazard a guess that the police, based upon the story which says he exited a business and placed the firearm in the back of his vehicle, lacked an reasonable suspicion of illegal activity.
    Hmm, I did not know this about the UZI.

    Arrested for Walking While Black, maybe?

  7. #7
    Regular Member Fallschirmjäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    3,915
    I think the only thing they Might have, is a concealed weapons charge (depending upon state law, of course.) In Georgia for instance, no license is required to carry a long arm provided that it's carried openly. If you wish to conceal a long arm, you require a weapons permit.
    The laws in his state likely differ of course.

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    "On the back seat" doesn't sound concealed. Plus, if they saw him carry it out to his car, it was OC.

  9. #9
    Regular Member We-the-People's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    White City, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    2,234
    There's a lot missing here.

    166.250 is "unlawful possession"

    but unless they tagged him for the opening story line of carrying it into the shop "in his coat".....which wasn't observed by officers and would require testimony from the reporting party/witness........there shouldn't be a violation of 166.250. If the cops observed him come out of the shop concealing the weapon then they could charge him with 166.250 without a witness to him going in with it. However, it seems it might be a bit dicey to justify their detention of him if they didn't see the weapon concealed.....which is a big catch 22. Didn't see it, what's the justification to stop him. Did see it, well then it wasn't concealed. The suppression hearing could be interesting.

    166.272 covers short barreled rifles but if the previous poster was right about the "fake barrel" it's possible, from looking at the photo, that this is indeed what was on it. See the long cylinder at the top that looks like a legal length barrel and the short one installed on the weapon?

    If he indeed bought the gun legally and the barrel is a fake (which I don't get but am going from the prior post on that subject) then the only legit charge might be 166.250 unlawful possession for concealing it. If the officers observed him concealing it (oooops, observed concealed?).

    Of course for all we know, he bought a short barrel and put it on the weapon without the proper tax stamp.

    As with most early reports, MORE INFO needed.
    "The Second Amendment speaks nothing to an unfettered Right". (Post # 100)
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ons-Bill/page5

    Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Fallschirmjäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    3,915
    Only quoting for context, not because I have any disagreement with We The People in the lease....

    Quote Originally Posted by We-the-People View Post
    166.272 covers short barreled rifles but if the previous poster was right about the "fake barrel" it's possible, from looking at the photo, that this is indeed what was on it. See the long cylinder at the top that looks like a legal length barrel and the short one installed on the weapon?

    If he indeed bought the gun legally and the barrel is a fake (which I don't get but am going from the prior post on that subject) then the only legit charge might be 166.250 unlawful possession for concealing it. If the officers observed him concealing it (oooops, observed concealed?).

    Of course for all we know, he bought a short barrel and put it on the weapon without the proper tax stamp.
    Since everyone expects an UZI to have a short barrel, and since a long barrel was necessary to sell the rifle without a tax stamp, it was sold in a compromised condition that half-satisfied everyone.

    Here are a few links where the matter is mentioned.
    http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-683789.html
    http://www.bwfirearms.com/GunCowboy/military.html
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...-with-my-old-B
    https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...cxeWm-xWDblE7Q





    There was an Arsenal AK sold a few years ago with the same 'compromise'; all the 'short barrel' features such as the front sight mounted on the gas block, but with a long barrel to satisfy ATF barrel length restrictions. The only thing one had to do was get it tax-stamped and cut down.
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 01-30-2013 at 12:31 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •