• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man arrested after bringing Uzi to show friend

bwboley

Activist Member

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
http://www.kptv.com/story/20802301/police-man-arrested-after-bringing-uzi-to-show-friend

Investigators said an Uzi 9mm caliber rifle was located on the back seat of the vehicle.

Ryan Presley, 30, was arrested and charged with unlawful possession of a firearm and unlawful possession of certain short-barreled firearms. Police said the short barrel on the gun makes it illegal.

Isn't a Uzi a pistol so short barrel not a issue?

I'm pretty sure the fact that it has a stock makes it a rifle, and a barrel less than 16" makes it a short barreled rifle (SBR), which must be registered and tax-paid with the ATF.

Fallschirjmäger

Many (most? all?) UZI rifle that had the 16-inch barrel also had a false 'normal length' display barrel as well. If Mr. Presley had the 'fake' barrel installed then there is no violation of Federal law. Additionally, I would hazard a guess that the police, based upon the story which says he exited a business and placed the firearm in the back of his vehicle, lacked an reasonable suspicion of illegal activity.

Cremator75

Some conflicting statements:

"Police said the short barrel on the gun makes it illegal."

"Police said Presley legally purchased the gun, but did not have a concealed weapons permit."

How can a gun be "legally purchased" but "illegal to own"?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Many (most? all?) UZI rifle that had the 16-inch barrel also had a false 'normal length' display barrel as well. If Mr. Presley had the 'fake' barrel installed then there is no violation of Federal law. Additionally, I would hazard a guess that the police, based upon the story which says he exited a business and placed the firearm in the back of his vehicle, lacked an reasonable suspicion of illegal activity.

Hmm, I did not know this about the UZI.

Arrested for Walking While Black, maybe?

Fallschirjmäger

I think the only thing they Might have, is a concealed weapons charge (depending upon state law, of course.) In Georgia for instance, no license is required to carry a long arm provided that it's carried openly. If you wish to conceal a long arm, you require a weapons permit.
The laws in his state likely differ of course.

We-the-People

There's a lot missing here.

166.250 is "unlawful possession"

but unless they tagged him for the opening story line of carrying it into the shop "in his coat".....which wasn't observed by officers and would require testimony from the reporting party/witness........there shouldn't be a violation of 166.250. If the cops observed him come out of the shop concealing the weapon then they could charge him with 166.250 without a witness to him going in with it. However, it seems it might be a bit dicey to justify their detention of him if they didn't see the weapon concealed.....which is a big catch 22. Didn't see it, what's the justification to stop him. Did see it, well then it wasn't concealed. The suppression hearing could be interesting.

166.272 covers short barreled rifles but if the previous poster was right about the "fake barrel" it's possible, from looking at the photo, that this is indeed what was on it. See the long cylinder at the top that looks like a legal length barrel and the short one installed on the weapon?

If he indeed bought the gun legally and the barrel is a fake (which I don't get but am going from the prior post on that subject) then the only legit charge might be 166.250 unlawful possession for concealing it. If the officers observed him concealing it (oooops, observed concealed?).

Of course for all we know, he bought a short barrel and put it on the weapon without the proper tax stamp.

As with most early reports, MORE INFO needed.

Fallschirjmäger

Only quoting for context, not because I have any disagreement with We The People in the lease....

166.272 covers short barreled rifles but if the previous poster was right about the "fake barrel" it's possible, from looking at the photo, that this is indeed what was on it. See the long cylinder at the top that looks like a legal length barrel and the short one installed on the weapon?

If he indeed bought the gun legally and the barrel is a fake (which I don't get but am going from the prior post on that subject) then the only legit charge might be 166.250 unlawful possession for concealing it. If the officers observed him concealing it (oooops, observed concealed?).

Of course for all we know, he bought a short barrel and put it on the weapon without the proper tax stamp.
Since everyone expects an UZI to have a short barrel, and since a long barrel was necessary to sell the rifle without a tax stamp, it was sold in a compromised condition that half-satisfied everyone.

Here are a few links where the matter is mentioned.
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-683789.html
http://www.bwfirearms.com/GunCowboy/military.html
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?273300-Found-a-Uzi-A-to-go-with-my-old-B
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...4Hxg23dbMcoUlQqEgf-4NIs8zU3ov4kcxeWm-xWDblE7Q
VectorUziSBR.jpg

1_rifles_fs_uzi_isreali_b_model_9mm_100220.jpg

116326_01_imi_uzi_model_a_carbine_640.jpg

UZIA.JPG

There was an Arsenal AK sold a few years ago with the same 'compromise'; all the 'short barrel' features such as the front sight mounted on the gas block, but with a long barrel to satisfy ATF barrel length restrictions. The only thing one had to do was get it tax-stamped and cut down.
slr106ur.jpg

Last edited: