Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NC CCW wait times?

NC CCW wait times?

I just applied for my CCW in Forsyth County on January 22, 2013. Does anyone know the wait time now since these are in high demand right now? Believe it or not, they accepted my NC PPS (North Carolina Private Protective Service) firearms training certificate in place of me taking a CCW class. The states training is 20 hours classroom and roughly 16 hours range time, which was loads (no pun intended) of fun. Thanks for reading and your responses.

I took the CCW class last saturday the 26th
    upon completion you make an "appointment" with local sheriff
    get your prints taken etc. It is approx 90 days after that
    well I called to make my appointment and earliest available is march

so looks like a 5-6 month wait

Quote Originally Posted by SEO View Post
    I just applied for my CCW in Forsyth County on January 22, 2013. Does anyone know the wait time now since these are in high demand right now? Believe it or not, they accepted my NC PPS (North Carolina Private Protective Service) firearms training certificate in place of me taking a CCW class. The states training is 20 hours classroom and roughly 16 hours range time, which was loads (no pun intended) of fun. Thanks for reading and your responses.
    I got my permit back in May of 2011 in Forsyth County. If I remember correctly once I turned in my application and certificate it took about 5 or 6 weeks for my permit to be approved and ready for pick up. If you go to the Forsyth County sherriff website it states that processing may take up to 45 days. If your permit is denied you will be notified in writing, within 45 days. Here is their site.

http://www.forsyth.cc/sheriff/concealed_permits.aspx
    Last edited by JABEACHFAN; 01-30-2013 at 07:41 AM.

I just dropped off all my paperwork in Wake county today, they say it will take 45-90 days.

Legally, the sheriff has 45 days to approve/deny a permit once the office receives everything ( http://tinyurl.com/ncgs14-8209-415-13 ) needed to deny or approve said permit.

IANAL
    Last edited by hotrod8812; 01-30-2013 at 02:01 PM.

Wife just applied for hers in Nash county. Was told it would be about 45 days. When I got mine (6 months ago) it was 6 weeks to the day. However, they are doing things a bit differently than when I applied. Had to go to the local mental health facility, plus an extra $10 for the paperwork to be done. Now the sherrif's dept. is handling all of it, at no extra charge.

NC CCW wait times?

Thanks for everyones input, any more info from Forsyth County times would be appreciated.

State law is 45 days. Not 45-90 days. However, it is business days so that is around 60 days total. NC being a shall issue state means they either deny within 45 days or they shall issue you your permit.

I got mine in Graham county in about 3 weeks, this even after I have to go to the sheriff office and sign some papers that I had never been in "that" county. Seems my name was pretty popular in about 5 counties with the cops.

i suspect times will draw out a bit as sheriffs become swamped with new requests...rumor has it there is an instructor turning out classes with 87 student a class or more...

wabbit
    But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most...
    A person who has for untold centuries maintained the imposing position of spiritual head of four-fifths of the human race...
    All religions issue bibles against him, and say the most injurious things about him, but we never hear his side. (twain)

Quote Originally Posted by ncwabbit View Post
    i suspect times will draw out a bit as sheriffs become swamped with new requests...rumor has it there is an instructor turning out classes with 87 student a class or more...

wabbit
    How'd you like to be the one to regulate all 87 of those at the range? I feel sorry for these instructors. There were 20 people in our class a few weeks back, and it was obvious most hadn't even considered practicing with a handgun beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by paintman40 View Post
    it was obvious most hadn't even considered practicing with a handgun beforehand.
    I witnessed this as well

one guy got the top of his thumb gnawed off
    and this woman that worked for the prison system and DID not wanna be there
    was taking it because boss required it

She kept making MANY liberal statements about we need checks etc

well at the range her first shot from 3 yards entirely missed the target lol

I could hit it blind folded

Which prison did she work for? I also work for the NC prison system and while we are encouraged to CC I have never heard of a unit that required their officers to do so. Many of the officers at my unit OC although several have CC permits as well. I work with a couple of female officers who are originally from New York and Baltimore and they also go on about checks and the like. One has even gone so far to say that she doesnt understand why I carry because "aint nothin gonna happen around here". Its said that ignorance is bliss. Well, there are some seriously blissful people in this world.

Quote Originally Posted by NCCO View Post
    Which prison did she work for? I also work for the NC prison system and while we are encouraged to CC I have never heard of a unit that required their officers to do so. Many of the officers at my unit OC although several have CC permits as well. I work with a couple of female officers who are originally from New York and Baltimore and they also go on about checks and the like. One has even gone so far to say that she doesnt understand why I carry because "aint nothin gonna happen around here". Its said that ignorance is bliss. Well, there are some seriously blissful people in this world.
    Prison guards cannot carry off duty concealed like police. I am guessing she was told she could only carry concealed off duty if she had a permit. Both her and her boss were probably ignorant to the fact she could carry open off duty with no permit.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

She didnt really say , But I think it had something to do with the fact that she had ZERO firearm training
    and I mean Z E R O

Page 66 post 659 regarding Forsyth county CHP.

sorry guys pet peeve of mine. you can not conceal a weapon in NC. you can only get a permission slip to carry your handgun concealed, hence a CHP
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

NC CCW wait times?

Its been 1 month now (31 days). Trying to remain patient, but Im like a little kid waiting on a new toy to come out. Dont get me wrong, I love OC'ing and do it daily but its kind of hard to OC in the winter time with a coat on, ready for my CCW!

Quote Originally Posted by ncwabbit View Post

wabbit
    the current class iam in session 1 was monday and part 2 was weds and today there is 5 sessions for the range time we had approx 75+ in the class

the classes are taught in raleigh.
    Last edited by raleighFNS9; 02-23-2013 at 11:40 PM. Reason: the wife told me its raleigh not garner...close enough as garner is down the road

Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    sorry guys pet peeve of mine. you can not conceal a weapon in NC. you can only get a permission slip to carry your handgun concealed, hence a CHP
    I conceal my gun everyday without a permit, I might get in trouble with the ladies if I did not, besides it makes it smaller with this cold weather.

Just teasing.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    I conceal my gun everyday without a permit, I might get in trouble with the ladies if I did not, besides it makes it smaller with this cold weather.

Just teasing.
    This is my rifle, this is my gun

Last edited by hotrod8812; 02-23-2013 at 09:10 PM.

Took eleven (11) business days from the time I applied at the sheriff's office till I was called and issued the license. Applied Jan. 28, 2013 , received Feb. 11, 2013.
    Last edited by paintman40; 02-25-2013 at 10:51 AM.

NC CCW wait times?

Quote Originally Posted by paintman40 View Post
    Took eleven (11) business days from the time I applied at the sheriff's office till I was called and issued the license. Applied Jan. 28, 2013 , received Feb. 11, 2013.
    Wow. Was this Forsyth County?

Wow. Was this Forsyth County?
    I am guessing somewhere in the Mountains. I know someone that received their permit in 4 weeks from Iredell county. It's been 7 weeks so far for me. Cabarrus county.

Seems that the biggest delay they manufacture into the system is the delay for your "appointment" to come in and fill out the paperwork. Cabarrus County does the same, but once they had the paperwork, it went in about a month.
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast