• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC CCW wait times?

paintman40

Took eleven (11) business days from the time I applied at the sheriff's office till I was called and issued the license. Applied Jan. 28, 2013 , received Feb. 11, 2013.

Last edited:

sageone

Wow. Was this Forsyth County?

I am guessing somewhere in the Mountains. I know someone that received their permit in 4 weeks from Iredell county. It's been 7 weeks so far for me. Cabarrus county.

carolina guy

Seems that the biggest delay they manufacture into the system is the delay for your "appointment" to come in and fill out the paperwork. Cabarrus County does the same, but once they had the paperwork, it went in about a month.

ncwabbit

the current class iam in session 1 was monday and part 2 was weds and today there is 5 sessions for the range time we had approx 75+ in the class

the classes are taught in raleigh.

how would you even have time to ask questions about deadly force with that many ppl in the course. let alone get someone to show you the proper way to even hold the firearm or deal with any malfunctions that might arise during the firing portion of the course....whew

wow, should have taken it from the instructor down here in goldsboro/mt olive who only allows < 12 in their class so they are finished in a day...a long day mind you but a day...and i have sat through their class and there is minimal bs as they roll through the material discussing the laws and responding to students questions of what if???

unbelieveable the state hasn't cracked down on these instructors who are conducting these large classes...no wonder there is concern over the quality of the classes.

wabbit

SEO

Ok, I know Im only on 5 weeks of waiting for my permit but I know personally 2 other guys that turned their stuff in after me and has already received theirs in 3 weeks time/turn around. I looked on our "fine" [sarcasm] counties website (FORSYTH) and says they WILL NOT give you info over the phone concerning your application, you must wait for them call you. Really? WTH? I cant even call my local Sheriffs Dept on something for myself? BTW: My record is clean as a whistle...

ncwabbit

Ok, I know Im only on 5 weeks of waiting for my permit but I know personally 2 other guys that turned their stuff in after me and has already received theirs in 3 weeks time/turn around. I looked on our "fine" [sarcasm] counties website (FORSYTH) and says they WILL NOT give you info over the phone concerning your application, you must wait for them call you. Really? WTH? I cant even call my local Sheriffs Dept on something for myself? BTW: My record is clean as a whistle...

but think of the folk from the multitude of classes calling at the same time, the sheriff's office time would only be spent on the fone instead of processing your CHP.

it would be especially difficult, i imagine trying to track down where the paperwork is in regard to mental health check back, medical back, etc.

wabbit

ps: did you at least put in for a couple of ppps so you could at least buy something to sooth your hurt ego for being ignored by the sheriff

WalkingWolf

but think of the folk from the multitude of classes calling at the same time, the sheriff's office time would only be spent on the fone instead of processing your CHP.

it would be especially difficult, i imagine trying to track down where the paperwork is in regard to mental health check back, medical back, etc.

wabbit

ps: did you at least put in for a couple of ppps so you could at least buy something to sooth your hurt ego for being ignored by the sheriff

Personally I think the current system for processing is terrible. I don't know who's idea it was for making appointments simply to turn in paperwork, and get fingerprints. I see no reason applications could not be mailed in, with a fingerprint card mailed in by the instructor. When I got my permit a good number of years ago I only had to go down hand in my paperwork, and wait a few weeks to get called back in, I was fingerprinted the same day I received my permit. I got mine around 2000 but let it expire. Surely the sheriff's depts are making a LOT of money off of this, they should hire enough people to keep the waits reasonable. After all the less people they process the less money they make. Unless they are intentionally throttling people. IMO a county like Harnett does not have enough residents to justify 6 month waiting period even if every single resident applied.

I wish more people understood that they do not need the card to carry. CC is OK for those that feel they cannot OC, but why go unprotected for 6 months. I wish people would teach these counties a lesson and cut off their money source, and just OC. Maybe we need more instructors offering OC classes(not mandatory) to help people become comfortable with OC.

WE ALL could take some of the wait off by OCing, even if some have a permit. If we educate people that they can OC, and get training, it would meet both the needs of the instructors, as well as the populace.

Wabbit I checked Harnett's website and they will only accept phone calls, no more walk ins. Seems really really stupid to me.

Last edited:

carolina guy

Personally I think the current system for processing is terrible. I don't know who's idea it was for making appointments simply to turn in paperwork, and get fingerprints. I see no reason applications could not be mailed in, with a fingerprint card mailed in by the instructor. When I got my permit a good number of years ago I only had to go down hand in my paperwork, and wait a few weeks to get called back in, I was fingerprinted the same day I received my permit. I got mine around 2000 but let it expire. Surely the sheriff's depts are making a LOT of money off of this, they should hire enough people to keep the waits reasonable. After all the less people they process the less money they make. Unless they are intentionally throttling people. IMO a county like Harnett does not have enough residents to justify 6 month waiting period even if every single resident applied.

I wish more people understood that they do not need the card to carry. CC is OK for those that feel they cannot OC, but why go unprotected for 6 months. I wish people would teach these counties a lesson and cut off their money source, and just OC. Maybe we need more instructors offering OC classes(not mandatory) to help people become comfortable with OC.

WE ALL could take some of the wait off by OCing, even if some have a permit. If we educate people that they can OC, and get training, it would meet both the needs of the instructors, as well as the populace.

Wabbit I checked Harnett's website and they will only accept phone calls, no more walk ins. Seems really really stupid to me.

+1

I think the current system of making people wait for an "appointment" to get finger printed is just another step in the long line of restricting people's ability to arm themselves. It goes along with the stupid Pistol Purchase Permit.

I know it is not a topic for this forum, but it would tickle me to see more people carrying rifles and shotguns (safely, of course).

sageone

Seems that the biggest delay they manufacture into the system is the delay for your "appointment" to come in and fill out the paperwork. Cabarrus County does the same, but once they had the paperwork, it went in about a month.

It has been 50 days since my appointment (paperwork submitted, finger prints, etc.) with Cabarrus. Called them and the only thing the lady could say was, "it takes 90 days". Wouldn't even attempt to look me up in the system or check anything. More or less told me to wait 90 days and then call back. The problem with doing business with any government agency is that you have no other options. It's not like you can take your business elsewhere.

WalkingWolf

It has been 50 days since my appointment (paperwork submitted, finger prints, etc.) with Cabarrus. Called them and the only thing the lady could say was, "it takes 90 days". Wouldn't even attempt to look me up in the system or check anything. More or less told me to wait 90 days and then call back. The problem with doing business with any government agency is that you have no other options. It's not like you can take your business elsewhere.

IMO it is not worth the hassle and money, I wish more people would cut them off of the money train and OC. Our dependence on that stupid card will eventually result in us losing OC like many other states have.

carolina guy

IMO it is not worth the hassle and money, I wish more people would cut them off of the money train and OC. Our dependence on that stupid card will eventually result in us losing OC like many other states have.

Although, until CC and OC have the same status in this state, having the option to CC is helpful. I work in one of the towers downtown Charlotte, and OC would be virtually impossible with my current employer. This would leave me with keeping my pistol in the car while I walk the several blocks to the office.

ncwabbit

interestingly, NC Statute 14-415.15 does not delineate work days or calendar days.

another interest facet i just discovered...state law only states you have to be a resident in the state for 30 days...14-415.12(a)(1) and i believe one county in the western part of the state is where the sheriff requires 6+ months of residence?

wabbit

RayBurton72

Unless otherwise stated in the chapter, days are calendar days in North Carolina statutes...

In most cases, if the final day of a time limit in a statute falls on a sat, sun or holiday, the last time will be the close of business on the next business day...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

WalkingWolf

interestingly, NC Statute 14-415.15 does not delineate work days or calendar days.

another interest facet i just discovered...state law only states you have to be a resident in the state for 30 days...14-415.12(a)(1) and i believe one county in the western part of the state is where the sheriff requires 6+ months of residence?

wabbit

Your right it does not say one way or the other. So it would be up to the interpretation of the court and the sheriff.