• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC CCW wait times?

SEO

I just applied for my CCW in Forsyth County on January 22, 2013. Does anyone know the wait time now since these are in high demand right now? Believe it or not, they accepted my NC PPS (North Carolina Private Protective Service) firearms training certificate in place of me taking a CCW class. The states training is 20 hours classroom and roughly 16 hours range time, which was loads (no pun intended) of fun. Thanks for reading and your responses.

J-SiN

I took the CCW class last saturday the 26th
upon completion you make an "appointment" with local sheriff
get your prints taken etc. It is approx 90 days after that
well I called to make my appointment and earliest available is march

so looks like a 5-6 month wait

JABEACHFAN

I just applied for my CCW in Forsyth County on January 22, 2013. Does anyone know the wait time now since these are in high demand right now? Believe it or not, they accepted my NC PPS (North Carolina Private Protective Service) firearms training certificate in place of me taking a CCW class. The states training is 20 hours classroom and roughly 16 hours range time, which was loads (no pun intended) of fun. Thanks for reading and your responses.

I got my permit back in May of 2011 in Forsyth County. If I remember correctly once I turned in my application and certificate it took about 5 or 6 weeks for my permit to be approved and ready for pick up. If you go to the Forsyth County sherriff website it states that processing may take up to 45 days. If your permit is denied you will be notified in writing, within 45 days. Here is their site.

http://www.forsyth.cc/sheriff/concealed_permits.aspx

Last edited:

94 at Large

Wife just applied for hers in Nash county. Was told it would be about 45 days. When I got mine (6 months ago) it was 6 weeks to the day. However, they are doing things a bit differently than when I applied. Had to go to the local mental health facility, plus an extra $10 for the paperwork to be done. Now the sherrif's dept. is handling all of it, at no extra charge.

redbeardrod

State law is 45 days. Not 45-90 days. However, it is business days so that is around 60 days total. NC being a shall issue state means they either deny within 45 days or they shall issue you your permit.

wardtom084

I got mine in Graham county in about 3 weeks, this even after I have to go to the sheriff office and sign some papers that I had never been in "that" county. Seems my name was pretty popular in about 5 counties with the cops.

ncwabbit

i suspect times will draw out a bit as sheriffs become swamped with new requests...rumor has it there is an instructor turning out classes with 87 student a class or more...

wabbit

paintman40

i suspect times will draw out a bit as sheriffs become swamped with new requests...rumor has it there is an instructor turning out classes with 87 student a class or more...

wabbit

How'd you like to be the one to regulate all 87 of those at the range? I feel sorry for these instructors. There were 20 people in our class a few weeks back, and it was obvious most hadn't even considered practicing with a handgun beforehand.

J-SiN

it was obvious most hadn't even considered practicing with a handgun beforehand.

I witnessed this as well

one guy got the top of his thumb gnawed off
and this woman that worked for the prison system and DID not wanna be there
was taking it because boss required it

She kept making MANY liberal statements about we need checks etc

well at the range her first shot from 3 yards entirely missed the target lol

I could hit it blind folded

NCCO

Which prison did she work for? I also work for the NC prison system and while we are encouraged to CC I have never heard of a unit that required their officers to do so. Many of the officers at my unit OC although several have CC permits as well. I work with a couple of female officers who are originally from New York and Baltimore and they also go on about checks and the like. One has even gone so far to say that she doesnt understand why I carry because "aint nothin gonna happen around here". Its said that ignorance is bliss. Well, there are some seriously blissful people in this world.

WalkingWolf

Which prison did she work for? I also work for the NC prison system and while we are encouraged to CC I have never heard of a unit that required their officers to do so. Many of the officers at my unit OC although several have CC permits as well. I work with a couple of female officers who are originally from New York and Baltimore and they also go on about checks and the like. One has even gone so far to say that she doesnt understand why I carry because "aint nothin gonna happen around here". Its said that ignorance is bliss. Well, there are some seriously blissful people in this world.

Prison guards cannot carry off duty concealed like police. I am guessing she was told she could only carry concealed off duty if she had a permit. Both her and her boss were probably ignorant to the fact she could carry open off duty with no permit.

J-SiN

She didnt really say , But I think it had something to do with the fact that she had ZERO firearm training
and I mean Z E R O

hotrod08

Page 66 post 659 regarding Forsyth county CHP.

papa bear

sorry guys pet peeve of mine. you can not conceal a weapon in NC. you can only get a permission slip to carry your handgun concealed, hence a CHP :uhoh:

SEO

Its been 1 month now (31 days). Trying to remain patient, but Im like a little kid waiting on a new toy to come out. Dont get me wrong, I love OC'ing and do it daily but its kind of hard to OC in the winter time with a coat on, ready for my CCW!

raleighFNS9

wabbit

the current class iam in session 1 was monday and part 2 was weds and today there is 5 sessions for the range time we had approx 75+ in the class

the classes are taught in raleigh.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

sorry guys pet peeve of mine. you can not conceal a weapon in NC. you can only get a permission slip to carry your handgun concealed, hence a CHP :uhoh:

I conceal my gun everyday without a permit, I might get in trouble with the ladies if I did not, besides it makes it smaller with this cold weather.

:banana:Just teasing.