• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clarification of open carry in National Forests.

ChadMLane

So if I'm in a National Forest where firearms are permitted I can UOC correct? How about LOC?

While in in that National Forest and I come across within a 150 yards of a road, do I have to put my unloaded gun into a lock box to move across the road?

Thanks,
Chad

carracer

National Forests follow the state law for unincorporated areas. The exception being rules for discharge within a campground and Federal building non carry, restrooms with exterior doors excepted (I thinks).

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
National Forests follow the state law for unincorporated areas. The exception being rules for discharge within a campground and Federal building non carry, restrooms with exterior doors excepted (I thinks).

I think you are confusing National Parks (NPS) with National Forests (USFS). There is a difference in these two entities - they are not the same.

NPS rules: Congress approved a new law allowing loaded firearms in national parks starting Feb. 22, 2010. That means people can openly carry legal handguns, rifles, shotguns and other firearms and also may carry concealed guns as allowed by state statute.

Guns cannot be carried into federal facilities (buildings) within national parks. Notice of this rule will be clearly displayed outside all federal facilities.
http://www.nps.gov/grca/parkmgmt/upload/Firearms-in-IMRparks2-2010.pdf

USFS rules:

Both state and federal laws apply on National Forest System lands, so you also need to check on the state laws and county ordinances which may apply to the area you will be visiting. You also need to be in compliance with any general federal laws and regulations about weapons (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), etc). The National Rifle Association of America (NRA) and many commercial publications provide this information.

The only regulations specific to use of weapons imposed by the Forest Service is that you cannot discharge a weapon within 150 yards of any structure/development or occupied area, within or into a cave, across or on a road or body of water, or in any manner that endangers a person. You also cannot use any tracer or incendiary ammunition. Forest Service regulations require that you also comply with all State laws regarding the use of firearms while hunting.
http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/programs/trails/welcome.shtml

You will note that USFS does not address the manner of carry; however, your state or local laws may.

hermannr

So if I'm in a National Forest where firearms are permitted I can UOC correct? How about LOC?

While in in that National Forest and I come across within a 150 yards of a road, do I have to put my unloaded gun into a lock box to move across the road?

Thanks,
Chad

You are in California? And you are talking about a NF and/or NP in California? follow the laws of California. The NF and NP regs on firearms are such that your must follow state and local law.

If you are talking about OR, WA, ID, MT, WY, NV, AZ (states that border/are close to/ CA) you follow their state and local laws (there basically are none in these other states...unlicensed OC is legal in all of them, so unlicensed OC in the NF, NP, and on BLM land is also unrestricted)