Thread: Looking for Women OC'ers to share advise and experiances

Looking for Women OC'ers to share advise and experiances

I just purchased my Fiance Janice her first REAL carry firearm (Springfield XD9). I am looking to get her involved with other "Like Minded" women OC'ers to share advise, experiences, and tips on carrying from the Female perspective.

I've taught her the basics, (general gun safety, and other basics related to firearms and carrying) but things that work for me do not work for her. My holsters and carry are not comfortable for her.

I'd like her to get more involved with other experienced female carriers locally. We are typically at all the South Sound meets and on occasion travel to other area meets.

Anywho, some feed back would be great and if there any web pages that have good info on woman specific carry that would be wonderful.

Thanks-
    -PJ

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." -Amendment Two, The Constitution of the United States

"The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired..." -Amendment Two, The Constitution of the United States

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Check out the Cornered Cat. Amongst other things specific to women, there is an excellent section on holsters/carrying.

Recommended reading and not just for the ladies is Armed and Female by Paxton Quigley - great book.

Suggest that you see if there is a local chapter of Second Amendment Sisters in your area.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 01-30-2013 at 05:26 AM. Reason: added
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

You should PM Boosteddreams. She's one of the more active female OCers here.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

The book link is broken. Try this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Armed-Female-C.../dp/0936783613

Pax is awesome, by the way. You will probably spend a few hours on her site - it will not be wasted time.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Check out the Cornered Cat. Amongst other things specific to women, there is an excellent section on holsters/carrying.

Recommended reading and not just for the ladies is Armed and Female by Paxton Quigley - great book.

Suggest that you see if there is a local chapter of Second Amendment Sisters in your area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flopsweat View Post
    The book link is broken. Try this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Armed-Female-C.../dp/0936783613

Pax is awesome, by the way. You will probably spend a few hours on her site - it will not be wasted time.
    Munkey Butt, Kathy (corneredcat.com and author of Armed Female) has been an instructor with Firearms Academy of Seattle which is located about 30 miles from you on the north side of Onalaska, WA
    Gila Hayes is an excellent resource and if you call FAS she will likely be the one you will talk to.
    Last edited by BigDave; 01-30-2013 at 01:58 PM.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Cool beans folks, thanks for the links. Ill see what i can find.
    -PJ

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." -Amendment Two, The Constitution of the United States

"The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired..." -Amendment Two, The Constitution of the United States

In my experience women who OC tend to draw allot more attention then men do and most of it is negative. As far concealing goes it's hard and uncomfortable to carry a full size unless its in your purse or in a SERPA style holster out in the open. Most of the time I prefer to carry my ruger LCP concealed in the waistband unless I'm out at night alone then I'll put on the full size.

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha View Post
    In my experience women who OC tend to draw allot more attention then men do and most of it is negative. As far concealing goes it's hard and uncomfortable to carry a full size unless its in your purse or in a SERPA style holster out in the open. Most of the time I prefer to carry my ruger LCP concealed in the waistband unless I'm out at night alone then I'll put on the full size.
    It seems particularly IWB holsters are designed for males.

My wife in particular, has a tough time with her IWB for her G-26.

Holster makers need to realize that women are shaped differently than men.

I've been thinking about getting an LCP.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha View Post
    My experience has been just the opposite. When DoubleTap, Tess, ClumsyCandy or someone with children like MNMGoneShooting are seen, they are much more readily accepted and their motivation understood.

Women are golden to our cause. Women with young children are platinum.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

My experience has been just the opposite. When DoubleTap, Tess, ClumsyCandy or someone with children like MNMGoneShooting are seen, they are much more readily accepted and their motivation understood.

Women are golden to our cause. Women with young children are platinum.
    I just need to light a fire under my wife and get her more comfortable with it. Then I'll be rich with all my platinum.

Emily Larson has some good classes too:
    http://lockandloadem.com/About_Us.html
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Well Janice and I went to Cabelas today and we got her the Serpa holster. And to add to what Beretta Lady said, Janice does not like the Paddle attachment as it is "Too big and pinches me". I on the on the other hand have a fairly large frame (no pun intended) so i prefer the paddle for me Beretta Storm. I wish that BLACKHAWK! offered a paddle attachment that is tailored towards a womans "Figure".
    -PJ

Quote Originally Posted by Munkey Butt View Post
    Well Janice and I went to Cabelas today and we got her the Serpa holster. And to add to what Beretta Lady said, Janice does not like the Paddle attachment as it is "Too big and pinches me". I on the on the other hand have a fairly large frame (no pun intended) so i prefer the paddle for me Beretta Storm. I wish that BLACKHAWK! offered a paddle attachment that is tailored towards a womans "Figure".
    You might want to mention that to them. They strike me as the kind of company that might seize the opportunity.

You might want to mention that to them. They strike me as the kind of company that might seize the opportunity.
    IMO the new ownership of Blackhawk could care less about service or good will for us commoners. They would seem to be concentrating on the military and law enforcement market at the obvious exclusion of LACs. My phone calls re problems/suggestions go unanswered.

Recent conversations with several local gun shops supports this contention. Even they are having problems.

IMO the new ownership of Blackhawk could care less about service or good will for us commoners. They would seem to be concentrating on the military and law enforcement market at the obvious exclusion of LACs. My phone calls re problems/suggestions go unanswered.

Recent conversations with several local gun shops supports this contention. Even they are having problems.
    That's too bad. When did they get bought?

That's too bad. When did they get bought?
    Acquired by Alliant Techsystems Inc in April of 2010.

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/04/norf...cts-group-sold

I fully agree. I wish blackhawk would accommodation the "Customers" and not the "Contracts". But there ARE several other vendors that take interest in what women what and or need in a holster. I guess it just depends on what item/ style an individual is in search of as to what vendor will be best.
    -PJ

Quote Originally Posted by Munkey Butt View Post
    I fully agree. I wish blackhawk would accommodation the "Customers" and not the "Contracts". But there ARE several other vendors that take interest in what women what and or need in a holster. I guess it just depends on what item/ style an individual is in search of as to what vendor will be best.
    Blade-Tech has partnered with Packing in Pink!

http://www.packinginpink.com/shop/bl...lster-in-pink/

I Am NOT A Victim - free book

Thirty years ago I had to shoot a man to save my life. Lots happened in the meantime, but now I am retired and have been a certified handgun and self defense instructor for seven years. I carry a gun all the time, everywhere I go. I prefer OC, but do carry CC at times. Good to practice it as I need to teach it.

I wrote a book as a supplement to my classes. The first chapter is the story of the man I had to shoot. http://www.thepriceofliberty.org/?page_id=846 You can read it here. If you'd like the book, "I Am NOT A Victim," send a PM with your email address. I'll attach a copy of the book and get it to you promptly. Please put "self defense" in the subject line, and tell me if you are just starting out, or are experienced.

My hope is that it will help people, especially women, understand the importance of self defense, and that it is absolutely possible for them to take full responsibility for their own safety.
    I will not knowingly initiate force. I am a self owner.

Let the record show that I did not consent to be governed. I did not consent to any constitution. I did not consent to any president. I did not consent to any law except the natural law of "mala en se." I did not consent to the police. Nor any tax. Nor any prohibition of anything. Nor any regulation or licensing of any kind.

+1,000 on Cornered Cat & Firearms Academy of Seattle.
    You have some really good resources right in your back yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha
    In my experience women who OC tend to draw a lot more attention then men do and most of it is negative.
    Drawing more attention, maybe... for those who realize I'm armed.
    Most of the attention I've gotten has been from men, all of whom so far think it's neat that I carry (or cute, but they're not about to say that).
    The only negative attention I've gotten has been from some LEO, & I'm pretty sure those officers would have reacted badly to any armed citizen.

As far concealing goes it's hard and uncomfortable to carry a full size unless its in your purse or in a SERPA style holster out in the open.
    Since this is OCDO, the default assumption is that we're carrying openly.
    Ability to conceal depends in part on how you're constructed.
    I've cc'd a full-size pistol while teaching a class, not more than 15' from any of the students, & they seemed surprised when I showed it was there... after a couple hours of being in front of them. Used a Fobus @ 2:00. Not a particularly loose shirt, either.
    Last edited by MKEgal; 02-05-2013 at 08:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.