• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for Women OC'ers to share advise and experiances

Munkey Butt

I just purchased my Fiance Janice her first REAL carry firearm (Springfield XD9). I am looking to get her involved with other "Like Minded" women OC'ers to share advise, experiences, and tips on carrying from the Female perspective.

I've taught her the basics, (general gun safety, and other basics related to firearms and carrying) but things that work for me do not work for her. My holsters and carry are not comfortable for her.

I'd like her to get more involved with other experienced female carriers locally. We are typically at all the South Sound meets and on occasion travel to other area meets.

Anywho, some feed back would be great and if there any web pages that have good info on woman specific carry that would be wonderful.

Thanks-

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Check out the Cornered Cat. Amongst other things specific to women, there is an excellent section on holsters/carrying.

Recommended reading and not just for the ladies is Armed and Female by Paxton Quigley - great book.

Suggest that you see if there is a local chapter of Second Amendment Sisters in your area.

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Check out the Cornered Cat. Amongst other things specific to women, there is an excellent section on holsters/carrying.

Recommended reading and not just for the ladies is Armed and Female by Paxton Quigley - great book.

Suggest that you see if there is a local chapter of Second Amendment Sisters in your area.

The book link is broken. Try this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Armed-Female-Control-Paxton-Quigley/dp/0936783613

Pax is awesome, by the way. You will probably spend a few hours on her site - it will not be wasted time.

Munkey Butt, Kathy (corneredcat.com and author of Armed Female) has been an instructor with Firearms Academy of Seattle which is located about 30 miles from you on the north side of Onalaska, WA
Gila Hayes is an excellent resource and if you call FAS she will likely be the one you will talk to.

Last edited:

Samantha

In my experience women who OC tend to draw allot more attention then men do and most of it is negative. As far concealing goes it's hard and uncomfortable to carry a full size unless its in your purse or in a SERPA style holster out in the open. Most of the time I prefer to carry my ruger LCP concealed in the waistband unless I'm out at night alone then I'll put on the full size.

Beretta92FSLady

In my experience women who OC tend to draw allot more attention then men do and most of it is negative. As far concealing goes it's hard and uncomfortable to carry a full size unless its in your purse or in a SERPA style holster out in the open. Most of the time I prefer to carry my ruger LCP concealed in the waistband unless I'm out at night alone then I'll put on the full size.

It seems particularly IWB holsters are designed for males.

My wife in particular, has a tough time with her IWB for her G-26.

Holster makers need to realize that women are shaped differently than men.

I've been thinking about getting an LCP.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

My experience has been just the opposite. When DoubleTap, Tess, ClumsyCandy or someone with children like MNMGoneShooting are seen, they are much more readily accepted and their motivation understood.

Women are golden to our cause. Women with young children are platinum.

tombrewster421

My experience has been just the opposite. When DoubleTap, Tess, ClumsyCandy or someone with children like MNMGoneShooting are seen, they are much more readily accepted and their motivation understood.

Women are golden to our cause. Women with young children are platinum.

I just need to light a fire under my wife and get her more comfortable with it. Then I'll be rich with all my platinum.;)

Munkey Butt

Well Janice and I went to Cabelas today and we got her the Serpa holster. And to add to what Beretta Lady said, Janice does not like the Paddle attachment as it is "Too big and pinches me". I on the on the other hand have a fairly large frame (no pun intended) so i prefer the paddle for me Beretta Storm. I wish that BLACKHAWK! offered a paddle attachment that is tailored towards a womans "Figure".

Flopsweat

Well Janice and I went to Cabelas today and we got her the Serpa holster. And to add to what Beretta Lady said, Janice does not like the Paddle attachment as it is "Too big and pinches me". I on the on the other hand have a fairly large frame (no pun intended) so i prefer the paddle for me Beretta Storm. I wish that BLACKHAWK! offered a paddle attachment that is tailored towards a womans "Figure".

You might want to mention that to them. They strike me as the kind of company that might seize the opportunity.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
You might want to mention that to them. They strike me as the kind of company that might seize the opportunity.

IMO the new ownership of Blackhawk could care less about service or good will for us commoners. They would seem to be concentrating on the military and law enforcement market at the obvious exclusion of LACs. My phone calls re problems/suggestions go unanswered.

Recent conversations with several local gun shops supports this contention. Even they are having problems. :(

Flopsweat

IMO the new ownership of Blackhawk could care less about service or good will for us commoners. They would seem to be concentrating on the military and law enforcement market at the obvious exclusion of LACs. My phone calls re problems/suggestions go unanswered.

Recent conversations with several local gun shops supports this contention. Even they are having problems. :(

That's too bad. When did they get bought?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

That's too bad. When did they get bought?

Acquired by Alliant Techsystems Inc in April of 2010.

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/04/norfolkbased-blackhawk-products-group-sold

Munkey Butt

I fully agree. I wish blackhawk would accommodation the "Customers" and not the "Contracts". But there ARE several other vendors that take interest in what women what and or need in a holster. I guess it just depends on what item/ style an individual is in search of as to what vendor will be best.

tombrewster421

MamaLiberty

I Am NOT A Victim - free book

Thirty years ago I had to shoot a man to save my life. Lots happened in the meantime, but now I am retired and have been a certified handgun and self defense instructor for seven years. I carry a gun all the time, everywhere I go. I prefer OC, but do carry CC at times. Good to practice it as I need to teach it.

I wrote a book as a supplement to my classes. The first chapter is the story of the man I had to shoot. http://www.thepriceofliberty.org/?page_id=846 You can read it here. If you'd like the book, "I Am NOT A Victim," send a PM with your email address. I'll attach a copy of the book and get it to you promptly. Please put "self defense" in the subject line, and tell me if you are just starting out, or are experienced.

My hope is that it will help people, especially women, understand the importance of self defense, and that it is absolutely possible for them to take full responsibility for their own safety.

MKEgal

+1,000 on Cornered Cat & Firearms Academy of Seattle.
You have some really good resources right in your back yard.

Samantha said:
In my experience women who OC tend to draw a lot more attention then men do and most of it is negative.
Drawing more attention, maybe... for those who realize I'm armed.
Most of the attention I've gotten has been from men, all of whom so far think it's neat that I carry (or cute, but they're not about to say that).
The only negative attention I've gotten has been from some LEO, & I'm pretty sure those officers would have reacted badly to any armed citizen. :uhoh:

As far concealing goes it's hard and uncomfortable to carry a full size unless its in your purse or in a SERPA style holster out in the open.
Since this is OCDO, the default assumption is that we're carrying openly.
Ability to conceal depends in part on how you're constructed.
I've cc'd a full-size pistol while teaching a class, not more than 15' from any of the students, & they seemed surprised when I showed it was there... after a couple hours of being in front of them. Used a Fobus @ 2:00. Not a particularly loose shirt, either.

Last edited: