• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

California Open Carry

baritus

Hello all.

New to the forum. I'm trying to put together some training for work about open carry laws in California in general, and San Diego in particular.

I am having trouble finding good sources to document the history of the state bills that prohibit open carry, and find the text of the bills is confusing and difficult to understand.

Can anyone direct me to some really accurate, complete, succinct information on these laws and the current state of affairs in California?

Any help would be much appreciated. Apologizes if this is an oft-repeated request. If possible, you can just direct me to an approriate thread.

Thanks in advance,

Baritus

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Hello all.

New to the forum. I'm trying to put together some training for work about open carry laws in California in general, and San Diego in particular.

I am having trouble finding good sources to document the history of the state bills that prohibit open carry, and find the text of the bills is confusing and difficult to understand.

Can anyone direct me to some really accurate, complete, succinct information on these laws and the current state of affairs in California?

Any help would be much appreciated. Apologizes if this is an oft-repeated request. If possible, you can just direct me to an approriate thread.

Thanks in advance,

Baritus

AB1934 Lori Saldana -Failed Originated in response to protest activity after Sam Wolanyk was falsely arrested
AB144 Anthony Portantino- Passed Essentially AB1934 resurrected. Prohibited unloaded open carry of handguns in incorporated areas.
AB1527 Antony Portantino- Passed Added long guns to the prohibition of unloaded open carrry. This was according to the author a response to the prospect of the threat of more protest activity.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-This-First-California-Open-Carry-Information
This thread has many resources one might need to research the topic. Some information might be out of date in the context of new legislation passed.

Even with the new laws, they come with loopholes... some of which have not been utilized yet. With AB1527, there are 116 seperate exemptions...
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?96973-Nullifying-26350-Through-Exemptions

So the status of open carry in California is at a stage of being 'indeterminate'. Roughly 75%-80% of California is unaffected by the passage of the bills, but since few are willing to press the legal issues at present, most comply with what they assume is a blanket ban.