• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Paul Ryan Canned Response

HandyHamlet

Been hearing some rumblings on the interweb our Wi elected employees may push for universal background checks. Figured it's time to start emailing personally instead of using the Ruger website. Email sent 11:30am today requesting Mr Ryan NOT support universal background checks. Interesting the response was so quick.

Response 4:14pm today.

Dear Handy:

Thank you for contacting me regarding your thoughts on gun control laws in America. I appreciate you taking the time to let me know your views on this important issue.

You raised some interesting and insightful points regarding this subject, especially in light of the recent tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut. My thoughts and prayers remain with the families and friends of those affected by this unspeakable tragedy. At this trying time, we must show our sympathy, pray for and stand together with the people of Connecticut, as well as all the friends and loved ones of the victims and survivors.

I understand that there will be a national discussion about our gun laws and what actions could be taken to prevent such horrific crimes in the future. Nearly every parent's greatest concern is the safety of their children. The question policymakers should ask about gun-control measures is 'Do they work?' The President has called to reinstate a nationwide assault-weapons ban. But a similar ban was the law of the land for a decade, and it didn't stop tragic shootings. I have concerns with recycling the failed policies of the past—or simply tightening laws that are ineffective.

This is matter on which reasonable people often disagree. However, I believe we can work together to find answers that most importantly protect innocent lives, as well as constitutional rights, and at the same time find ways to stop unstable people from committing these incomprehensible crimes in the first place. The problem is comprehensive. It includes issues of mental illness, culture and crime, and deeper questions about the reality of evil. We all have a role to play, and this issue begins with strengthening the bonds in our neighborhoods. I look forward to contributing to this discussion and working with my colleagues in Congress to address this important debate.

Thank you again for contacting with your thoughts. In the meantime, if you wish to share additional information with me concerning this issue or any other, please feel free to contact me by calling, emailing, writing, or faxing me. Please be advised that mail sent to my Washington office is subject to an additional two-week delay due to increased mail security.

If I can be of further assistance to you regarding this or any other matter, please do not hesitate to contact me. I am always happy to respond and be of service to you.

Sincerely,

Paul Ryan
Serving Wisconsin's 1st District

Trip20

Sometimes it amazes me how so many words can be used to say nothing.

For once I want an elected official to have convictions and not speak in such a wishy-washy tone.

Last edited:

anmut

3 out

Ryan needs to pander to the southern Wisconsin conserva-liberals to keep him in office. Personally I'm two minutes out of finding a new state of residence. I snail mailed EVERY republican rep in WI. That's 60+ letters. That was two weeks ago. I have received one letter back and two phone calls. 3 out of 60+? That's sickening.