Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CADL: TO WAR!!! Calling all Pledgers!

CADL: TO WAR!!! Calling all Pledgers!

Back in August of last year, I solicited pledges for the CADL Case, here on OCDO.

Today, I am calling in all of those pledges. We have received word, via the Court of Appeals website, that CADL has filed leave to appeal to the Michigan Supreme Court. See item #71.

The Michigan Supreme Court is not required to hear CADL's case. Our lawyer, Dean Greenblatt, will be briefing the Court and answering in opposition to CADL's writ. If CADL's Writ is granted we are looking at an expenditure in excess of $15,000. To answer/fight CADL's writ alone will set us back at least $5,500. That's why it's important you donate today.

If you indicated you were in for $100, I am asking you to honor your pledge. We understand times and circumstances change and no one will be tarred and feathered for not keeping their pledge.

HOW TO DONATE YOUR $100:

1. Visit: http://miopencarry.org/donate
    2. Click ON the "Scales of Justice".

You will then be directed to Pay Pal in order to make your donation.

Pledgers:
    scot623
    choover
    smellslikemichigan
    fozzy71
    Shadow Bear
    Venator
    Bikenut
    DanM
    Bronson
    M1fan1942
    ken243
    autosurgeon
    griffin
    MI_XD
    DrTodd
    Gort
    Yance
    RenegadeMarine
    OC4me
    MarineSgt
    Billy
    Glock9mmOldStyle/FreeInAZ
    Michigander
    sasha601
    Super Trucker
    budlight
    Tucker6900
    Evil Creamsicle

I will be PMing each of you shortly and directing you to this thread. Thank you in advance for your donations.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    first
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Done.
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

Also done.

Phil, might I suggest writing up a quick brief for the purpose of emailing around to ask for help? I'm sure I'm not the only person who would be eager to send such a thing around.
    Last edited by Michigander; 01-30-2013 at 06:44 PM.

I thought they were using a different law firm for the MiSC appeal, but the same attorney they've been using filed it--Bender (and Spagnuolo).
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

Centurion
    In spite of my ON GOING disgust with the near constant bickering on this State's forum here between certain members/leadership, I've just contributed to this and I didn't even see my name on the list!!!! The principal here must bring ALL together!

For some reason my Paypal donation did not go through.... attempting again!

Success, $100.00 sent.
    Last edited by JoeSparky; 01-31-2013 at 06:09 PM. Reason: updates
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    Phil, might I suggest writing up a quick brief for the purpose of emailing around to ask for help?
    Do you mean a synopsis of the case? You can copy and paste the one in the MOC newsletter (pg. 4) if you want.

http://miopencarry.org/moc_files/pub...wsletter-1.pdf
    Last edited by griffin; 01-30-2013 at 06:57 PM.
    Wheels

Last edited by TheQ; 01-30-2013 at 06:58 PM.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Here's another brief:
    MOC is currently facing a Michigan Supreme Court battle with the Capitol Area District Library (CADL) over gun rights in Michigan. Particularly the question/case involves the scope and depth of Michigan's Firearm preemption law.

Circa 2005, CADL instituted a ban on firearms and other weapons on the premises in their Library system (a total of 19 branches).

Fast forward to December 2010. Some members of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. (and others) were kicked out of the Library for lawfully openly carrying holstered handguns. We believed this action to be in violation of MCL 123.1102 and Michigan Coalition of Responsible Gun Owners v. City of Ferndale (Michigan Court of Appeals case Circa 2002). So persisted in carrying and worked with the Lansing Police Department and convinced them the Library's ban was unlawful. As a result, the Police stopped showing up to kick out patrons who were openly carrying handguns. LPD suggested the Library get a Court Injunction saying they could enforce their ban. CADL did so and thus CADL v MOC was spawned. A Temporary Restraining Order was granted by the Circuit Court. After a few hearings and briefs, the Circuit Court granted CADL's motion for Summary Judgement and placed a Permanent injunction allowing CADL to enforce their ban. MOC appealed to the Michigan Court of Appeals. The Michigan Court of Appeals held CADL's ban in violation of preemption, vacated the Circuit Court's order, and invalidated CADL's ban.

About MRGO v Ferndale: The City of Ferndale had a local ordinance saying guns were not allowed in their local (city owned) library. MCRGO brought suit and the Michigan Court of Appeals ruled the ordinance was preempted by MCL 123.1102.

Key issues in CADL v MOC and differences from MCRGO v Ferndale: In CADL v MOC, CADL is a "District Library Authority" -- not directly owned and operated by the city. In Michigan, two or more local governments can get together and form a District Library Authority. In the case of CADL it was formed by the City of Lansing, County of Ingham, and some other local/city governments. Basically a joint venture between these local governments. CADL argues because they are not a "County, City, or Township" as specified in MCL 123.1101 they are not included in preemption. The Court of Appeals ruled the Michigan legislature intended to "occupy the field" of firearm preemption, as such CADL is preempted and cannot ban guns.

Re: CADL: TO WAR!!! Calling all Pledgers!

Is Dean the lead lawyer on our side still? If so I would prefer to send my donation directly to him instead of MOC. Also the donation this time will be far less than the $1,000 I gave last time. Sorry times are rough all over.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Honoring my pledge. Done.
    Person in Home Depot: "Do you really think you need that?"
    Me: "I hope not. But then again, I didn't need my seatbelt on the way here either."

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Is Dean the lead lawyer on our side still? If so I would prefer to send my donation directly to him instead of MOC. Also the donation this time will be far less than the $1,000 I gave last time. Sorry times are rough all over.
    Dean is the lawyer and while you can send funds to him, he'd rather not be responsible for the mess associated with that on his end. He's asked that people donate directly through up. By clicking on the scales of justice it is being sent to a paypal account that will be dedicated for our Legal Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by ken243 View Post
    Honoring my pledge. Done.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Done.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    Also done.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    first
    And not the last -- thank you!

My Pledge also, Done.

I do not use PayPal... incoming PM asking where to and who to send check to.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    I do not use PayPal... incoming PM asking where to and who to send check to.
    Checks can be sent to:

Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
    P.O. Box 16184
    Lansing, MI 48901

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    Q, will you please keep a running tally of the war chest in the OP? the response, so far, is nothing short of inspiring.
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Sent

I never pledged, but I'm donating the amount of gas money I saved in a week and a half ($100) by switching from my Crown Vic to the Nissan LEAF, an electric car:

Last edited by kubel; 01-30-2013 at 10:22 PM.

We've raised over $1,000 tonight alone! Thank you!

Currently in the mortgage process so I am unable to remove any funds from my account, having said that in 3-4 weeks when the mortgage process is done I will certainly honor my pledge

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    We've raised over $1,000 tonight alone! Thank you!
    Make that "over $1,100" tonight! My pledge is honored. Smack 'em down, Dean!
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Will be sent later today....
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

I've never been to CADL and probably never will, but this cause is still good.

If you can give me two weeks until I get paid again, I'll donate $100-200.
    Molon Labe

[+=] Eleftheria i thanatos [+=]

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    Checks can be sent to:

Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
    P.O. Box 16184
    Lansing, MI 48901
    I do not use PayPal either...
    As soon as I get to the bank today, the "Check will be in the mail"

MI_XD
    Bob

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast