• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CADL: TO WAR!!! Calling all Pledgers!

TheQ

Back in August of last year, I solicited pledges for the CADL Case, here on OCDO.

Today, I am calling in all of those pledges. We have received word, via the Court of Appeals website, that CADL has filed leave to appeal to the Michigan Supreme Court. See item #71.

The Michigan Supreme Court is not required to hear CADL's case. Our lawyer, Dean Greenblatt, will be briefing the Court and answering in opposition to CADL's writ. If CADL's Writ is granted we are looking at an expenditure in excess of $15,000. To answer/fight CADL's writ alone will set us back at least $5,500. That's why it's important you donate today.

If you indicated you were in for $100, I am asking you to honor your pledge. We understand times and circumstances change and no one will be tarred and feathered for not keeping their pledge.

HOW TO DONATE YOUR $100:

1. Visit: http://miopencarry.org/donate
2. Click ON the "Scales of Justice".

You will then be directed to Pay Pal in order to make your donation.

Pledgers:
scot623
choover
smellslikemichigan
fozzy71
Shadow Bear
Venator
Bikenut
DanM
Bronson
M1fan1942
ken243
autosurgeon
griffin
MI_XD
DrTodd
Gort
Yance
RenegadeMarine
OC4me
MarineSgt
Billy
Glock9mmOldStyle/FreeInAZ
Michigander
sasha601
Super Trucker
budlight
Tucker6900
Evil Creamsicle

I will be PMing each of you shortly and directing you to this thread. Thank you in advance for your donations.

Michigander

Also done.

Phil, might I suggest writing up a quick brief for the purpose of emailing around to ask for help? I'm sure I'm not the only person who would be eager to send such a thing around.

Last edited:

griffin

I thought they were using a different law firm for the MiSC appeal, but the same attorney they've been using filed it--Bender (and Spagnuolo).

JoeSparky

Centurion
In spite of my ON GOING disgust with the near constant bickering on this State's forum here between certain members/leadership, I've just contributed to this and I didn't even see my name on the list!!!! The principal here must bring ALL together!

For some reason my Paypal donation did not go through.... attempting again!

Success, $100.00 sent.

Last edited:

TheQ

Here's another brief:
MOC is currently facing a Michigan Supreme Court battle with the Capitol Area District Library (CADL) over gun rights in Michigan. Particularly the question/case involves the scope and depth of Michigan's Firearm preemption law.

Circa 2005, CADL instituted a ban on firearms and other weapons on the premises in their Library system (a total of 19 branches).

Fast forward to December 2010. Some members of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. (and others) were kicked out of the Library for lawfully openly carrying holstered handguns. We believed this action to be in violation of MCL 123.1102 and Michigan Coalition of Responsible Gun Owners v. City of Ferndale (Michigan Court of Appeals case Circa 2002). So persisted in carrying and worked with the Lansing Police Department and convinced them the Library's ban was unlawful. As a result, the Police stopped showing up to kick out patrons who were openly carrying handguns. LPD suggested the Library get a Court Injunction saying they could enforce their ban. CADL did so and thus CADL v MOC was spawned. A Temporary Restraining Order was granted by the Circuit Court. After a few hearings and briefs, the Circuit Court granted CADL's motion for Summary Judgement and placed a Permanent injunction allowing CADL to enforce their ban. MOC appealed to the Michigan Court of Appeals. The Michigan Court of Appeals held CADL's ban in violation of preemption, vacated the Circuit Court's order, and invalidated CADL's ban.

About MRGO v Ferndale: The City of Ferndale had a local ordinance saying guns were not allowed in their local (city owned) library. MCRGO brought suit and the Michigan Court of Appeals ruled the ordinance was preempted by MCL 123.1102.

Key issues in CADL v MOC and differences from MCRGO v Ferndale: In CADL v MOC, CADL is a "District Library Authority" -- not directly owned and operated by the city. In Michigan, two or more local governments can get together and form a District Library Authority. In the case of CADL it was formed by the City of Lansing, County of Ingham, and some other local/city governments. Basically a joint venture between these local governments. CADL argues because they are not a "County, City, or Township" as specified in MCL 123.1101 they are not included in preemption. The Court of Appeals ruled the Michigan legislature intended to "occupy the field" of firearm preemption, as such CADL is preempted and cannot ban guns.

FreeInAZ

Is Dean the lead lawyer on our side still? If so I would prefer to send my donation directly to him instead of MOC. Also the donation this time will be far less than the $1,000 I gave last time. Sorry times are rough all over.

TheQ

Is Dean the lead lawyer on our side still? If so I would prefer to send my donation directly to him instead of MOC. Also the donation this time will be far less than the $1,000 I gave last time. Sorry times are rough all over.

Dean is the lawyer and while you can send funds to him, he'd rather not be responsible for the mess associated with that on his end. He's asked that people donate directly through up. By clicking on the scales of justice it is being sent to a paypal account that will be dedicated for our Legal Fund.

B

Bikenut

I do not use PayPal... incoming PM asking where to and who to send check to.

kubel

I never pledged, but I'm donating the amount of gas money I saved in a week and a half ($100) by switching from my Crown Vic to the Nissan LEAF, an electric car:

gunsnleafs.jpg

lolguns.JPG

Last edited: