Thread: Lansing gun buyback program question?

Lansing gun buyback program question?

I know Lansing is planning a gun buyback in mid-February and I was wondering if it's legal in Michigan to go there and privately buy some of the firearms?

I keep seeing posts in other states where people go there with signs, and score a stupid amount of nice firearms for like 300.

Since they're only offering people 100 for handguns, and 200 for rifles, I was thinking of bringing a bunch of cash and offering a bit more.

If It's legal, I'll definitely be there, and urge everyone else to join me!
    Molon Labe

[+=] Eleftheria i thanatos [+=]

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheGreek View Post
    I know Lansing is planning a gun buyback in mid-February and I was wondering if it's legal in Michigan to go there and privately buy some of the firearms?

I keep seeing posts in other states where people go there with signs, and score a stupid amount of nice firearms for like 300.

Since they're only offering people 100 for handguns, and 200 for rifles, I was thinking of bringing a bunch of cash and offering a bit more.

If It's legal, I'll definitely be there, and urge everyone else to join me!
    Do a search on this site, it was done at the last Lansing by-back and at least once in the Detroit area. Yes it is legal.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    Do a search on this site, it was done at the last Lansing by-back and at least once in the Detroit area. Yes it is legal.
    I tried and it said 0 results. Must not like me. Awesome, thank you!
    Molon Labe

here are some threads on the subject. not all are from michigan, but you can see which ones are-

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/se...archid=1328092
    Last edited by detroit_fan; 01-31-2013 at 01:59 PM.
    If guns cause crime, all mine are defective- Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by detroit_fan View Post
    here are some threads on the subject. not all are from michigan, but you can see which ones are-

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/se...archid=1328092

vBulletin Message
    Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

^ See? My computer hates me!
    Molon Labe

Another buy back? Awesome! Last time Lansing had one I picked up a nice Glenfield 75 with a scope for $100. Someone else bought a Norinco AK for $300. Some others bought other great stuff too.

Hope that answers your question.

A few officers asked if we knew there were laws about buying guns on the "street". When asked if they cared to recite those laws, they stopped talking and eventually walked away.

When is it planned for? I still have my sign in my trunk. I suppose it's technically TheQ's sign as I took it from him.

Quote Originally Posted by bigt8261 View Post
    When is it planned for? I still have my sign in my trunk. I suppose it's technically TheQ's sign as I took it from him.
    Article said they're trying to raise the money to have it in mid-late Feb, or possibly early March.

Look forward to seeing some of you there! I'll keep this thread updated as news of the buyback comes out.
    Last edited by MikeTheGreek; 01-31-2013 at 06:52 PM.
    Molon Labe

Also, they're offering apparently $100 for handguns, rifles, shotguns, and $200 for semi auto "Assault rifles" so lets hope someone is dumb enough to let go of a good AR-15 for $250?
    Molon Labe

Also, they're offering apparently $100 for handguns, rifles, shotguns, and $200 for semi auto "Assault rifles" so lets hope someone is dumb enough to let go of a good AR-15 for $250?
    Post it on here when you have the info we'll mobilize and try to intercept as many as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by mikestilly View Post
    Post it on here when you have the info we'll mobilize and try to intercept as many as possible.
    Deal. If my taxes come in before the buyback...I think I'm going to need a bigger car.
    Molon Labe

TYPO FIXED

Bronson
    Last edited by Bronson; 01-31-2013 at 07:22 PM.
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Re: Lansing gun buyback program question?

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post

Bronson
    I should pay more attention! I fixed it.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by MikeTheGreek; 01-31-2013 at 06:52 PM.
    Molon Labe

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Go to advance search and type Lansing buyback and volia....

of Lansing seeking Donations for Gun Buyback Started by TheQ, 07-12-2012 09:17 AM

• Replies: 25
    • Views: 1,321

Last Post By: Last Post: 07-16-2012 05:57 PM by DrTodd Forum:
    Michigan

Started by MikeTheGreek, Today 12:12 PM

• Replies: 12
    • Views: 165

Last Post By: Last Post: Today 06:51 PM by MikeTheGreek Forum:
    Michigan

Lansing Gun Buyback IE a fool and his money

Started by smellslikemichigan, 07-27-2012 10:02 AM

• Replies: 29
    • Views: 1,211

Last Post By: Last Post: 08-02-2012 01:20 PM by davidmcbeth Forum:
    Michigan

Lansing: Who is up for a gun buyback this weekend?

Started by TheQ, 08-15-2012 10:21 AM 2 Pages • 1 2
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Quote Originally Posted by bigt8261 View Post
    Another buy back? Awesome! Last time Lansing had one I picked up a nice Glenfield 75 with a scope for $100. Someone else bought a Norinco AK for $300. Some others bought other great stuff too.

Hope that answers your question.

A few officers asked if we knew there were laws about buying guns on the "street". When asked if they cared to recite those laws, they stopped talking and eventually walked away.

and not just any Norinco AK at that either, it was an unfired in original box with receipt from early 90s and probably 98% condition!
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Banned
    Call 'em up and ask how much for a nuclear device? 10 Million?

So just what exactally is needed to buy on the street like that? Sorry about my ignorance but I know that some paper work is needed to do it. It is a private sale, I know. Posting exactally what is needed may get a couple more people to show up and intercept a few more guns before they get to the police just for them to destroy them. OK OK, I'm looking it up right now.

OK, Mich state police web site has form RI-060, pistol sales record but nothing about rifles. I know shot guns are not registered so nothing to do there but pay the guy (?). I have my CPL so the back ground check thing is moot. I wouldn't mind picking up a nice AR for a good price myself but still what records need to be executed? Again, sorry for my ignorance,and I know I should do my own research ( I am trying to) but you guys that are experienced at this please share your knowlege with us less experienced folk. I thank you for it in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken56 View Post
    OK, Mich state police web site has form RI-060, pistol sales record but nothing about rifles. I know shot guns are not registered so nothing to do there but pay the guy (?). I have my CPL so the back ground check thing is moot. I wouldn't mind picking up a nice AR for a good price myself but still what records need to be executed? Again, sorry for my ignorance,and I know I should do my own research ( I am trying to) but you guys that are experienced at this please share your knowlege with us less experienced folk. I thank you for it in advance.
    Your research is complete. RI-60 for a pistol, no paperwork for a long gun is needed (rifle or shotgun).
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Thank you for the confirmation. I have never done a private sale before so, I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken56 View Post
    Thank you for the confirmation. I have never done a private sale before so, I appreciate it.
    Based on the postings I see, looks like there will be experienced people there. Looks like you'll have some resources for advice and guidance. Print yourself out some RI-60s, bring your wad of cash, get your private sale cherry popped, and have some fun!
    Last edited by DanM; 02-03-2013 at 11:38 PM.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi