• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Armed officer at school stops school shooting 1/31/2013

zack991

Armed officer at school stops school shooting http://news.yahoo.com/police-teen-shot-fellow-student-ga-school-000114361.html
A student opened fire at his middle school Thursday afternoon, wounding a 14-year-old in the neck before an armed officer working at the school was able to get the gun away, police said.

Multiple shots were fired in the courtyard of Price Middle School just south of downtown around 1:50 p.m. and the one boy was hit, Atlanta Police Chief George Turner said. In the aftermath, a teacher received minor cuts, he said.

The wounded boy was taken "alert, conscious and breathing" to Grady Memorial Hospital, said police spokesman Carlos Campos. He was expected to be released Thursday night.

Police swarmed the school of about 400 students after reports of the shooting while a crowd of anxious parents gathered in the streets, awaiting word on their children. Students were kept at the locked-down school for more than two hours before being dismissed.
Investigators believe the shooting was not random and that something occurred between the two students that may have led to it.

Schools Superintendent Erroll Davis said the school does have metal detectors.

"The obvious question is how did this get past a metal detector?" Davis asked about the gun. "That's something we do not know yet."

The armed resource officer who took the gun away was off-duty and at the school, but police didn't release details on him or whether he is regularly at Price. Since 20 children and six adults were shot to death at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut in December, calls for armed officers in every school have resonated across the country.

So Mr Obama please explain to me how "more guns, armed guards are not the solution." I am sure the parents of these kids would say otherwise.

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

*snippers* "more guns, armed guards are not the solution."*snippers*

Do you have a link to where President Obama stated armed guards in schools are not the solution? I suppose the alternative is at best a mistake on your part, or you're a liar.

President Obama:

After the Newtown shootings, Obama said, “I am skeptical that the only answer is putting more guns in schools. And I think the vast majority of the American people are skeptical that that somehow is going to solve our problem.” http://www.ijreview.com/2013/01/305...t-wing-plan-for-armed-guards-in-some-schools/

I see, Mr. President, so, you are stating that putting more guns in schools is part of a broader strategy, not the sole strategy...thanks.

Last edited:

zack991

Do you have a link to where President Obama stated armed guards in schools are not the solution? I suppose the alternative is at best a mistake on your part, or you're a liar.

President Obama:

I see, Mr. President, so, you are stating that putting more guns in schools is part of a broader strategy, not the sole strategy...thanks.

"President Barack Obama says he's open to whatever recommendations he gets on reducing gun violence, but he's less than enthusiastic about the National Rifle Association's proposal to put armed guards in schools across the country.

"I am not going to prejudge the recommendations that are given to me," he said during an interview broadcast Sunday on NBC's "Meet the Press." "I am skeptical that the only answer is putting more guns in schools. And I think the vast majority of the American people are skeptical that that somehow is going to solve our problem."

http://www.politico.com/blogs/polit...bout-nra-plan-to-put-armed-guards-152975.html

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

"President Barack Obama says he's open to whatever recommendations he gets on reducing gun violence, but he's less than enthusiastic about the National Rifle Association's proposal to put armed guards in schools across the country.

"I am not going to prejudge the recommendations that are given to me," he said during an interview broadcast Sunday on NBC's "Meet the Press." "I am skeptical that the only answer is putting more guns in schools. And I think the vast majority of the American people are skeptical that that somehow is going to solve our problem."

http://www.politico.com/blogs/polit...bout-nra-plan-to-put-armed-guards-152975.html

So, you admit that you made a mistake?

Let me help you...you offer his statement, minus context, then you offer the statement he made, in context, and it does NOT accurately reflect what you claimed he stated.

Don't get me wrong. I'm down with accurate information. I'm not trying to be argumentative, just not down with sitting by, not calling someone out when they are posting either misinformation, or disinformation.

Last edited:

zack991

So, you admit that you made a mistake?

Let me help you...you offer his statement, minus context, then you offer the statement he made, in context, and it does NOT accurately reflect what you claimed he stated.

Don't get me wrong. I'm down with accurate information. I'm not trying to be argumentative, just not down with sitting by, not calling someone out when they are posting either misinformation, or disinformation.

No he has never supported honest citizens to carry their own firearms for protection, his voting record and comments and him making all the comments denouncing the NRA plan to put armed guards /staff in every school shows, he said he is extremely skeptical that that somehow is going to solve our problem, he was playing politics and he carefully chose his words.

His history and comments speak volumes to the contrary, he only came out in support of the idea when polls showed the very large majority of the public was wanting armed guards in their schools. He blew off the NRA's plan in turn to support NEA a very big teachers union plan and they refused the idea of arming teachers and staff.

White House plan is similar to the NRA’s. So why the opposition to one plan and support for the other? TPM asked NEA Director of Advocacy and Outreach Kim Anderson to explain.

“There’s a huge distinction between the NRA proposal and what the administration has proposed,” she said. “The NRA proposed arming educators and volunteer security guards and private security personnel. The school resource officer program is an actual program that was funded a number of years ago by Joe Biden’s bill to put law enforcement — actual police offers — in schools after they’ve received adequate training.”

Again he had made several comments talking down the plan the NRA had till the anger of Americans and the NRA ad pointed out his hypercritical ideas of who should be allowed to own and use a firearm forprotection

Beretta92FSLady

No he has never supported honest citizens to carry their own firearms for protection, his voting record and comments and him making all the comments denouncing the NRA plan to put armed guards /staff in every school shows, he said he is extremely skeptical that that somehow is going to solve our problem, he was playing politics and he carefully chose his words.

His history and comments speak volumes to the contrary, he only came out in support of the idea when polls showed the very large majority of the public was wanting armed guards in their schools. He blew off the NRA's plan in turn to support NEA a very big teachers union plan and they refused the idea of arming teachers and staff.

White House plan is similar to the NRA’s. So why the opposition to one plan and support for the other? TPM asked NEA Director of Advocacy and Outreach Kim Anderson to explain.

“There’s a huge distinction between the NRA proposal and what the administration has proposed,” she said. “The NRA proposed arming educators and volunteer security guards and private security personnel. The school resource officer program is an actual program that was funded a number of years ago by Joe Biden’s bill to put law enforcement — actual police offers — in schools after they’ve received adequate training.”

Again he had made several comments talking down the plan the NRA had till the anger of Americans and the NRA ad pointed out his hypercritical ideas of who should be allowed to own and use a firearm forprotection

Thank you for agreeing with me, that President Obama has stated he supports armed security in schools.

I knew we could agree on something here.

BTW, there's nothing hypocritical about him having armed security for his children--all President have...for good reason...I don't think the President has any say int he matter, actually, about his security, or family security--and armed security in schools.

Last edited:

zack991

Obama slams and denounces NRA's plan then when the polls showed they did not support his views he all of a sudden supports armed officers in schools, why not before. IT IS CALLED PLAYING POLITICS

frontpagemag.com/2013/dgreenfield/obama-now-in-favor-of-crazy-nra-guards-in-schools-plan/

After carefully reviewing Congresswoman Shirley Jackson-Lee’s proposal to put some sort of giant metal retractable walls in schools and polls which showed that most American people do believe the crazy notion that armed guards stop shootings, this will be included in the Plan of Doom, along with some boilerplate about discouraging gun violence in movies, as an appetizer for attacking the Bill of Rights.

In the liberal Northeast, Democrat gun hysteria is still bubbling. In Burlington, Vermont, City Councilor Norm Blais voted on a resolution to ban assault rifles.

Blais said his city wasn’t nearly as safe as people thought, saying that “if somebody was not a convicted felon and was walking through our thoroughfare and had an AK-47 slung over his shoulder, there’s nothing we could do about that. Most people are surprised to hear that.”

I guess you could shoot him… but everyone knows that shooting a bad guy is a crazy NRA plan that just doesn’t work.

He has never supporter guns in the honest hands of citizens period, he only came out in support of armed guards in school since the polls and NRA ad blasted him for his stupidity to claim he does not believe it will solve our school shooting issue and even though guns are around him 24/7.

Obama’s writing was on the 1996 document, which was filed when Obama was running for the Illinois state Senate. A Chicago nonprofit, Independent Voters of Illinois, had this question, and Obama took hard line:

35. Do you support state legislation to:
a. ban the manufacture, sale and possession of handguns? Yes.
b. ban assault weapons? Yes.
c. mandatory waiting periods and background checks? Yes.
2008 Democratic debate in Las Vegas Jan 15, 2008

Obama voted for a bill in the Illinois senate that allowed retired law enforcement officers to carry concealed weapons. If there was any issue on which Obama rarely deviated, it was gun control. He was the most strident candidate when it came to enforcin and expanding gun control laws. So this vote jumped out as inconsistent.

When I queried him about the vote, he said, “I didn’t find that [vote] surprising. I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry. This was a narrow exception in an exceptional circumstance where a retired police officer might find himself vulnerable as a consequence of the work he has previously done--and had been trained extensively in the proper use of firearms.“

It wasn’t until a few weeks later that another theory came forward about the uncharacteristic vote. Obama was battling with his GOP opponent to win the endorsement of the Fraternal Order of Police.
Source: From Promise to Power, by David Mendell, p.250-251 Aug 14, 2007

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

Obama slams and denounces NRA's plan then when the polls showed they did not support his views he all of a sudden supports armed officers in schools, why not before. IT IS CALLED PLAyING POLITICS

frontpagemag.com/2013/dgreenfield/obama-now-in-favor-of-crazy-nra-guards-in-schools-plan/

After carefully reviewing Congresswoman Shirley Jackson-Lee’s proposal to put some sort of giant metal retractable walls in schools and polls which showed that most American people do believe the crazy notion that armed guards stop shootings, this will be included in the Plan of Doom, along with some boilerplate about discouraging gun violence in movies, as an appetizer for attacking the Bill of Rights.

In the liberal Northeast, Democrat gun hysteria is still bubbling. In Burlington, Vermont, City Councilor Norm Blais voted on a resolution to ban assault rifles.

Blais said his city wasn’t nearly as safe as people thought, saying that “if somebody was not a convicted felon and was walking through our thoroughfare and had an AK-47 slung over his shoulder, there’s nothing we could do about that. Most people are surprised to hear that.”

Please, share with us all where Obama denounced armed security in schools, then supported it, after the NRA commercial. I am eager to resolve this claim.

Instead of actual information regarding Obama's stance, you offer-up the views of people other than Obama.

Beretta92FSLady

*snippers*

When I queried him about the vote, he said, “I didn’t find that [vote] surprising. I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry. This was a narrow exception in an exceptional circumstance where a retired police officer might find himself vulnerable as a consequence of the work he has previously done--and had been trained extensively in the proper use of firearms.“

It wasn’t until a few weeks later that another theory came forward about the uncharacteristic vote. Obama was battling with his GOP opponent to win the endorsement of the Fraternal Order of Police.
Source: From Promise to Power, by David Mendell, p.250-251 Aug 14, 2007

This has zero to do with what we're talking about here. We all know President Obama supports firearm restrictions.

You really need to think about what you have been stating. You stated that the NRA came out with their ad, pointing out Obama's hypocrisy, then Obama backed-down, and suddenly supported armed security in schools. Hello, the NRA was using a quote, in their ad, that has Obama supporting armed security. Get a freaking clue.

So, either Obama made the statement before the NRA ad, regarding his support for armed security in schools, or the NRA has access to technology where they traveled into the future--which is actually the past--and took a quote from Obama, apparently backing-down from his not supporting armed security in schools.

No wonder I'm the only one responding to this thread. I'm a total sucker.

Last edited:

zack991

This has zero to do with what we're talking about here. We all know President Obama supports firearm restrictions.

You really need to think about what you have been stating. You stated that the NRA came out with their ad, pointing out Obama's hypocrisy, then Obama backed-down, and suddenly supported armed security in schools. Hello, the NRA was using a quote, in their ad, that has Obama supporting armed security. Get a freaking clue.

So, either Obama made the statement before the NRA ad, regarding his support for armed security in schools, or the NRA has access to technology where they traveled into the future--which is actually the past--and took a quote from Obama, apparently backing-down from his not supporting armed security in schools.

No wonder I'm the only one responding to this thread. I'm a total sucker.

It shows that he has a long record of not supporting any type of law allowing honest citizens to carry concealed weapon on them and certainly did not even consider the NRA plan of arming teachers or any staff members period. His voting record shows what he supports, not the empty words coming out of his mouth playing politics. Even the NRA has pointed out how the whole meeting went at the white house and then never had the intent of listing to the NRA's plan.

"They were checking a box. They were able to say we've met with the NRA. We've met with the people that are strong Second Amendment supporters," Keene said. "We stated our position. They stated their position." “While claiming that no policy proposals would be ‘prejudged,’ this Task Force spent most of its time on proposed restrictions on lawful firearms owners — honest, taxpaying, hardworking Americans.”

In a press conference a week after the Newtown, Conn., shooting, NRA vice president Wayne LaPierre suggested that one way to prevent future violence in schools was to hire armed security to protect campuses. In an interview with “Meet the Press,” Obama said he was “skeptical” of such a proposal.

In a statement earlier in the day, Biden outlined a series of proposals that could find their way into the president’s eventual package. He that the federal government would revamp the way it collected data on gun violence, comparing current limits on data gathering with the 1970s-era restrictions on federal research over the causes of traffic fatalities.

The vice president also said many groups had suggested pursuing limits on high-capacity magazines for semiautomatic guns, along with universal background checks that would close the so-called gun-show loopholes.

That’s on top of a push from the White House to renew the assault weapons ban, which expired during former President George W. Bush’s administration after heavy lobbying from the NRA.

“The president has already called on Congress to act on an assault weapons ban, to act on a ban of high-capacity ammunition clips, and to confirm an ATF Director, and to close the loopholes in our background checks system,” Carney said Thursday. “These are things that Congress can do and should do, and the president has called on Congress to do those things.”

No were in Obama original plan was to put armed guard in ANY SCHOOL; they were 100% about how they could restrict rights of Americans and putting his crown on claiming he will do everything in his power if congress refuses to act.

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

It shows that he has a long record of not supporting any type of law allowing honest citizens to carry concealed weapon on them and certainly did not even consider the NRA plan pf arming teachers or any staff members period. His voting record shows what he supports not the empty word coming out of his mouth playing politics.

So what, he doesn't support arming teachers, and staff...I couldn't care less.

He supports armed security in schools, and I'm fine with that. Do I want some tea party 2.0 private citizen, armed, standing post at my kids school?--F-no! I'll take my chances with an LEO.

What should we have, the TSA making sure every one of our public schools is safe? No thanks. Kids go to schools, not prisons, and not airports. There's no reason why teachers should be armed, IMO...I don't know if you have kids or not, and whether or not they go to public school, but I'll tell you this, every teacher I have talked to, that my children have been students by, I don't feel comfortable with their ability to properly handle a firearm--most of them are tree-hugging hippies...no thanks...I will take my chances with LEO's at the schools.

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

*snippers*

No were in Obama original plan was to put armed guard in ANY SCHOOL; they were 100% about how they could restrict rights of Americans and putting his crown on claiming he will do everything in his power if congress refuses to act.

Hmmm, you may not be aware, but, Obama didn't have an original plan...he had a plan that Biden put forward at a later date...is that what you're referring to?

His plan is comprehensive, and the meat and potatoes of it requires Congress to act. The ball isn't in his court. He acknowledges his Constitutional limits.

Last edited:

zack991

He supports armed security in schools,

Umm no Biden made it very clear they don't support it prior to polls saying the public wanted it.

Vice President Joe Biden figuratively slapped the National Rifle Association in the face on Thursday during a Google+ Hangout by indirectly slamming its suggestion to put armed guards in every school in the US.
“We are not calling for armed guards in schools…we think that would be a terrible mistake,” the VP said during a PBS “Fireside Hangout.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LYlkknrku4

Last edited:

mohawk001

He supports armed security in schools, QUOTE]

Vice President Joe Biden figuratively slapped the National Rifle Association in the face on Thursday during a Google+ Hangout by indirectly slamming its suggestion to put armed guards in every school in the nation.

Umm no Biden made it very clear they don't support it prior to polls saying the public wanted it.
“We are not calling for armed guards in schools…we think that would be a terrible mistake,” the VP said during a PBS “Fireside Hangout.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LYlkknrku4

In cases like this, Biden does speak for Obama, especially when using "we" in that way. I mean, who do you think Biden is getting his guidance from after all?

OC for ME

Hmmm, you may not be aware, but, Obama didn't have an original plan...he had a plan that Biden put forward at a later date...is that what you're referring to?

His plan is comprehensive, and the meat and potatoes of it requires Congress to act. The ball isn't in his court. He acknowledges his Constitutional limits.
A "Biden plan"......that right there is hi-larryious!

He supports armed security in schools, and I'm fine with that. Do I want some tea party 2.0 private citizen, armed, standing post at my kids school?--F-no! I'll take my chances with an LEO.

What should we have, the TSA making sure every one of our public schools is safe? No thanks. Kids go to schools, not prisons, and not airports. There's no reason why teachers should be armed, IMO...I don't know if you have kids or not, and whether or not they go to public school, but I'll tell you this, every teacher I have talked to, that my children have been students by, I don't feel comfortable with their ability to properly handle a firearm--most of them are tree-hugging hippies...no thanks...I will take my chances with LEO's at the schools.
Just to be sure I understand your position.

A teacher must not be permitted to be lawfully armed while on the job. That teacher must rely upon LE to protect them. This policy fails virtually every time it is complied with.

There's no reason teachers should be armed,
Anti-liberty, anti-citizen, and a callous disregard for the safety of those we charge with the safety of our children in a school. Standard liberal position.

I don't feel comfortable with their ability to properly handle a firearm
You are a liberal and anti-liberty. Your reasoning is based on emotion. Your level of comfort is irrelevant where the inalienable right of others to defend themselves is concerned.

...no thanks...I will take my chances with LEO's at the schools.
Exactly what chance are you taking? Unless you are a teacher the only risk you take is whether or not a crazed gunmen gets to your children before the first 10 minutes of the event have elapsed. I suggest that you work to move your kids to a classroom far removed from the primary entrance of their school.

The armed resource officer who took the gun away was off-duty and at the school, but police didn't release details on him or whether he is regularly at Price.
The officer was off duty, it seems, and therefore a "ordinary citizen" who happens to be exempt from GFSZ laws because he is a LEO. The cops know that armed citizens in schools will deter another Sandy Hook. Lawfully armed citizens in schools will minimize serious injury and the loss of life just as the armed citizen in the OP article did.

Beretta92FSLady

A "Biden plan"......that right there is hi-larryious!

Just to be sure I understand your position.

A teacher must not be permitted to be lawfully armed while on the job. That teacher must rely upon LE to protect them. This policy fails virtually every time it is complied with.

Anti-liberty, anti-citizen, and a callous disregard for the safety of those we charge with the safety of our children in a school. Standard liberal position.

You are a liberal and anti-liberty. Your reasoning is based on emotion. Your level of comfort is irrelevant where the inalienable right of others to defend themselves is concerned.

Exactly what chance are you taking? Unless you are a teacher the only risk you take is whether or not a crazed gunmen gets to your children before the first 10 minutes of the event have elapsed. I suggest that you work to move your kids to a classroom far removed from the primary entrance of their school.

The officer was off duty, it seems, and therefore a "ordinary citizen" who happens to be exempt from GFSZ laws because he is a LEO. The cops know that armed citizens in schools will deter another Sandy Hook. Lawfully armed citizens in schools will minimize serious injury and the loss of life just as the armed citizen in the OP article did.

I will keep it simple: I'm for armed security in schools--LEO's.

Beretta92FSLady

Fair enough.

I'm for armed citizens in schools until the cops get there then the cops can take over.

Yea, there would be no waiting. I am for armed security in schools, during school hours. Meaning, there's an armed person sitting on their ass, waiting...IMO, it's best if it were an LEO...there are other things LEO's handle at schools, particularly high schools.

nonameisgood

In the President's defense, the federal government isn't in charge of the public school systems. That is primarily a state and local function.

Sandy Hook would have been just as easy and likely with the two handguns he had (aside from the fact that handgun mags cost more than AR mags). But if there was an officer on location, it could have been stopped before it started. For that matter, if a few of the teachers and staff had been armed and prepared, it would have been over quite quickly.

Until we stop the copy cats, these things may keep happening. But I doubt that we will have this same problem a generation from now, so laws targeting the next generation (like the AWB being proposed) will not really work.