• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Military out of state pistol purchase legal?

coastieET

Hello,
I'm a Michigan resident on active duty military orders stationed in Ohio and I would like to purchase my first pistol in Ohio. Ohio doesn't (to my knowledge) have any laws requiring obtaining a license to purchase, registration, or passing of a test. As far as Ohio goes I can buy all the guns I want. My issue is with what the Michigan laws dictate about me purchasing out of state. Is it even legal to Michigan for me to do that? There is somewhat of a gray area there for me. I would like to be able to bring the weapon back to Michigan in the future. I've had plenty of firearms training in my career, but having to travel 300 miles to take a test and submit the paperwork, wait a few days and then register it is a bit of a hassle. What can I prep/do out of state? Also I'm not sure what laws they just changed. What can/should I do?

Michigander

Federal law says you have to buy pistols in your state of residence. If you want to buy pistols in ohio, get an ohio drivers license.

coastieET

Federal law says you have to buy pistols in your state of residence. If you want to buy pistols in ohio, get an ohio drivers license.

To get a second drivers license I'd have to give up Michigan's. I move states every 3-4 years, and it would be difficult to do that repeatedly let alone I like being a Michigan resident. I'm pretty sure that the signed Military Orders get around that part of the law though. I DO actually reside in Ohio due to the orders.

xmanhockey7

Why can you order firearms from websites that aren't in your State, but can't travel a few hours to buy one yourself?

That doesn't make too much sense :cry:

Because the ones you order online are sent to an FFL in your state. Similarly if there is a pistol in Ohio you want it can be sent to an FFL in Michigan then transferred to you. Regarding the military purchase in another state I really don't know. I thought I heard it was legal if you're active duty stationed in another state but I could very well be wrong. Others who know more than I will chime in I'm sure.

Michigander

You can have guns shipped to a FFL holder in your state of residence, who can then transfer the guns to you. An unlicensed individual cannot simply buy guns online from FFL holders.

coastieET

Thanks, so basically I can get the gun in Ohio whenever I want as long as I bring my official orders and mil ID. As far as MI goes, due to their new laws I only need to register it with the state police if I plan on bringing it back home. I'm planning on purchasing a Beretta from Gander Mt. here, they may have further requirements so I'll stop by and see what they say as well.

mirussell

Thanks, so basically I can get the gun in Ohio whenever I want as long as I bring my official orders and mil ID. As far as MI goes, due to their new laws I only need to register it with the state police if I plan on bringing it back home. I'm planning on purchasing a Beretta from Gander Mt. here, they may have further requirements so I'll stop by and see what they say as well.

Thats what i did when i was in back in the early 80's was stationed in texas bought a pistol finish my time came come with it. took it to the police dept and had it ( inspected)they never said a word .