• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Enemies: A Short Film featuring Open Carry

David West

Hey guys, I don't post here a whole lot but I've been an avid, "Every day, no days off," kind of open carrier for about 5 years now. I'm an aspiring filmmaker from Southern Oregon, and on my way home from Paul Fest and the Republican National Convention last summer me and a few of my friends (one of whom I have also converted into a regular open carrier) decided to shoot an impromptu short film. I've been working on it off and on for a few months now and I finally released in online this week. All things considered, I'm very pleased with how it turned out considering the manner in which it was shot.

I thought you guys might be interested in it because it actually features open-carry. One my goals with my film making is to present gun ownership as something that good, normal people engage in, and treat it in a nonchalant manner. Too often films portray gun ownership as something that only criminals and cops/ex-cops/ex-military action heroes engage in. It's almost never treated as a "normal" thing. Hollywood films go to great lengths to explain WHY someone would own a gun instead of treating it as the common practice that it is. You rarely see a normal, decent person own a gun in movies, let alone carry one. I hope to work towards changing that perception someday.

Anyway, here is the link to the film. It's about 14 minutes long. Hope you enjoy it, and be sure to share it around if you do!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-TQcDpFMJY

Open-carry won't show up until a few minutes in, so just give it some time. Hope you guys like it! It's largely subtextual in this film, but hopefully my virulently pro-gun stance is at least evident here. Some of my past work is even more pro-gun, and a few of the films I'm developing are really, REALLY pro-gun. Let me know what you guys think!

Attachments

• Enemies Poster Small.jpg
    Enemies Poster Small.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 87

Gil223

Hey guys, I don't post here a whole lot but I've been an avid, "Every day, no days off," kind of open carrier for about 5 years now. I'm an aspiring filmmaker from Southern Oregon, and on my way home from Paul Fest and the Republican National Convention last summer me and a few of my friends (one of whom I have also converted into a regular open carrier) decided to shoot an impromptu short film. I've been working on it off and on for a few months now and I finally released in online this week. All things considered, I'm very pleased with how it turned out considering the manner in which it was shot.

I thought you guys might be interested in it because it actually features open-carry. One my goals with my film making is to present gun ownership as something that good, normal people engage in, and treat it in a nonchalant manner. Too often films portray gun ownership as something that only criminals and cops/ex-cops/ex-military action heroes engage in. It's almost never treated as a "normal" thing. Hollywood films go to great lengths to explain WHY someone would own a gun instead of treating it as the common practice that it is. You rarely see a normal, decent person own a gun in movies, let alone carry one. I hope to work towards changing that perception someday.

Anyway, here is the link to the film. It's about 14 minutes long. Hope you enjoy it, and be sure to share it around if you do!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-TQcDpFMJY

Open-carry won't show up until a few minutes in, so just give it some time. Hope you guys like it! It's largely subtextual in this film, but hopefully my virulently pro-gun stance is at least evident here. Some of my past work is even more pro-gun, and a few of the films I'm developing are really, REALLY pro-gun. Let me know what you guys think!

I was surprised that your film was so well done. I've seen Indies on TV that weren't up to the quality of "Enemies", and, although it was indeed "a short film" I thought Enemies was VERY well-executed. Sound, camera work, two plot twists, and a surprise ending - all in under 14 minutes! :dude: Pax...

David West

Thanks Gil! Usually I'm incredibly critical of my own work and can't hardly stand watching, but in this case I'm actually pretty proud of what we were able to accomplish with literally no budget and virtually no equipment aside from our (admittedly pretty nice) camera while we were on a 3,000 plus mile road trip (and that's only counting the trip home!)! We came up with the story on the fly and only had what happened to be in our car to use. Thankfully, we're the kind of guys who travel with guns or else the film would have been very different! We had the safe and the roll of cash because we'd been selling DVDs at Paul Fest, and the picture that plays into a pivotal plot point at the end of the film just happened to be in my friend's bible! The trailer the opening scene was shot in was provided to us by a really awesome family in Arkansas we met at Paul Fest who put us up for the night, fed us steak, and spent the whole next morning shooting guns with us! It was a great trip.