• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Letter from Dick Saslaw - Deja Vu

grylnsmn

My State Senator is Dick Saslaw. A few minutes ago, I recevied the following email from him (paid for by Saslaw for Senate). It is entitled Deja Vu. Firearm related parts are my bold.

Dear (my name removed),

This session feels like déjà vu because once again, Virginia is being deliberately dragged to the politically extreme. We have become fodder for late-night comedians and a perennial national laughing stock. From the New York Times to the San Francisco Chronicle and back to Comedy Central, the Commonwealth is in the national spotlight.

So far this legislative session has been marked by continued Republican overreach and a return to the same controversial topics that we’ve dealt with in the past. Despite the evenly split Senate— 20 Democrats and 20 Republicans— the Lt. Governor (a Republican) breaks the tie votes and with Republican stacked committees important pieces of legislation are prevented from coming to the floor while they force their Tea Party-inspired legislation through the General Assembly.

In the aftermath of the tragic Sandy Hook shooting, the public has been calling for tighter gun control measures. Republicans (closely linked to Wayne LePierre, the CEO of the NRA) in the General Assembly are trying to weaken Virginia’s already lax gun laws. At 7 am on a Friday morning, all 14 gun control related bills introduced by members of the Democratic Caucus were summarily defeated in a special meeting of Senate Courts of Justice Committee. Yet in the House of Delegates, a bill to prevent enforcement of federal law in the light of any new gun regulations, is under serious consideration in committee.

It took several hours for thousands of Virginians to cast a vote in the Presidential election last November. In the heavily populated regions of the Commonwealth, elected officials and voters are asking to make the process more convenient, but instead Republicans want to create more barriers to the ballot box. It’s easy to conclude that one too many people exercised their right to vote in the eyes of Republicans. Because they have been unable to win at the ballot box, Republicans have made voter suppression, the gerrymandering of the state senate districts, and reapportioning Virginia’s electoral votes high priorities.

Ignoring the infamous backlash over last year’s controversial ultrasound legislation, Republicans voted along party lines to block bills that would repeal it or weaken it. We are fortunate to have one practicing doctor in the Senate, Dr. Ralph Northam. With great patience he often provides guidance on health care issues. Oddly enough his expertise is often disregarded by those without any related education that think they are more qualified to dictate medical protocols. What is lost is access to health care for women. I’ll let you draw your own conclusions.

Funding for transportation is long overdue and remains a priority. Gridlock is choking our economy and impairing our quality of life. Eliminating the gas tax is a ploy that won’t help consumers, but will only pad the profits of oil companies. Raiding the General Fund (the sole source of funding for public education, public safety and health and human services) to pay for transportation is a non-starter for Senate Democrats and me. Currently the Governor is proposing both of these measures. Why we want to eliminate the gas tax from road users to increase the sales tax is a tough question to answer. It is that same gas tax that helps VA get federal highway funds and covers our contribution to the Metro.

Virginians deserve better and it is time that we focus on the issues that really matter. I will be holding a joint town hall meeting on February 9th at Sleepy Hollow Elementary School in Falls Church to discuss where we are in the session and answer any questions you may have. Stay tuned for details.

Sincerely,

Senator Dick Saslaw
35th District
Senate Democratic Leader

I find it especially rich that he complains about gun control bills being killed in the "special meeting of the Senate Courts of Justice Committee" after he violated Senate rules to kill gun bills in the infamous "death star" committee.

I don't know if I can make it for the community meeting he's holding on Feb 9, and if I do I won't be able to carry (as it's a school), but if anyone else is in the area I hope you can make it. He doesn't mention a time, but it will probably be late morning or early afternoon.

Walt_Kowalski

I replied back to the mail... I doubt it will be seen.

I'm one of those republicans that lobbied for less gun control. The public has NOT been calling for more gun control. The inverse is true. I stopped by your office on Lobby day, but you were MIA. I hope we continue to deregulate firearms in the great state of Virginia. Its working, with less than HALF the voilent crime rate as our neighbor to the north, Maryland.

~Walt

va_tazdad

Dirty Dick is upset?

"Virginians deserve better and it is time that we focus on the issues that really matter. "

Yes we do, and the sooner this "man" and I use that term loosely, is replaced the better. He can't stand that the Republicans did exactly what the Democrats did last year.

Dick is a liar and a coward. Thankfully, he does NOT represent me.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
This session feels like déjà vu because once again, Virginia is being deliberately dragged to the politically extreme. We have become fodder for late-night comedians and a perennial national laughing stock. From the New York Times to the San Francisco Chronicle and back to Comedy Central, the Commonwealth is in the national spotlight.

Mr. Saslaw, have you bothered to determine why Virginia has gained this status? I suggest that yu take a look at the legislation "your side" has proposed and then answer one question: How will this stop evil and/or mentally deranged people from killing people?

Virginia already leads the nation in turning over the names of folks who have not only been involuntarily committed for inpatient MH treatment but also those ordered to get outpatient treatment - now "you" want to add names of folks who are sent to be evaluaterd to determine if they need to be committed/ordered to get outpatient treatment.

Virginia for a time was leading the nation in NCIS background checks performed - now you want to do even more of them in spite of the fact that criminals have nver bothered to get one done before they buy/steal a gun.

I could go on, but you won't listen and I'll just bore the rest of the folks. Instead, let me play this nifty banjo tune for you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms3WZyxZbbU

stay safe.

PS - I do not want to hear that any of you put that link in an email to Se. Saslaw. Don't want to see it in a post, either. Don't want to watch a video of you doing it.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I replied with this:

You cannot call yourself "our leader" and disrespect others as you do in this piece.

America's gun owners are responding, mostly, to questions worded in such a way as to guarantee one answer or another, and are responding from a lack of knowledge. Unfortunately, politicians who are deliberately wording questions and hiding facts.

The Tea Party is wrong on MUCH. Their focus on smaller government is not wrong. Their emphasis on fiscal responsibility is not wrong. It's only their social agenda that is.

So show some guts and LEAD. Propose rather than attack. If your ideas are good, they'll pass.

As others have noted, it'll likely get round-filed. Legislators like this don't want to be confused with facts.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Looks like he delivered a lot of good news to me. All proposed gun control bills defeated. I like it!!

Up to that point, it was true; however, there is a late submission on the GA agenda - Voluntary background checks at gun shows for non-FFL sales - it is a Trogan Hourse, wolf in sheep skin, the camel's nose beneath the tent flap.

Suprised by one of the sponsors, a supposed "friend":

Summary as introduced:
Transfer of firearms at gun shows; voluntary background check. Requires the Department of State Police to be available to perform background checks for non-dealer sales at gun shows if a party involved in a transaction wants one. In order for the bill to become effective, the U.S. Department of Justice must approve the policies and procedures that the Department of State Police will use to implement the provisions of the bill.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?131+sum+SB1372

Esanders2008

Up to that point, it was true; however, there is a late submission on the GA agenda - Voluntary background checks at gun shows for non-FFL sales - it is a Trogan Hourse, wolf in sheep skin, the camel's nose beneath the tent flap.

Summary as introduced:
Transfer of firearms at gun shows; voluntary background check. Requires the Department of State Police to be available to perform background checks for non-dealer sales at gun shows if a party involved in a transaction wants one. In order for the bill to become effective, the U.S. Department of Justice must approve the policies and procedures that the Department of State Police will use to implement the provisions of the bill.

Why is this bad? Don't get me wrong, I like being able to purchase face to face w/o the wait of a check, but I think it is a positive measure, being voluntary and all. Please correct me if I am missing something

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Why is this bad? Don't get me wrong, I like being able to purchase face to face w/o the wait of a check, but I think it is a positive measure, being voluntary and all. Please correct me if I am missing something

IMO bad because it sets up the complete mechanism for all private sales to go through background checks. Laws are seldom abolished, only amended. Can you imagine how this might be amended in the future? We have fought long and hard to keep private sales private. This isn't just the camel's nose under the tent flap, it is pushing it to the hump from the beginning.

See this as furthering the de facto gun registry also.

EMNofSeattle

Mr. Saslaw, have you bothered to determine why Virginia has gained this status? I suggest that yu take a look at the legislation "your side" has proposed and then answer one question: How will this stop evil and/or mentally deranged people from killing people?

Virginia already leads the nation in turning over the names of folks who have not only been involuntarily committed for inpatient MH treatment but also those ordered to get outpatient treatment - now "you" want to add names of folks who are sent to be evaluaterd to determine if they need to be committed/ordered to get outpatient treatment.

Virginia for a time was leading the nation in NCIS background checks performed - now you want to do even more of them in spite of the fact that criminals have nver bothered to get one done before they buy/steal a gun.

I could go on, but you won't listen and I'll just bore the rest of the folks. Instead, let me play this nifty banjo tune for you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms3WZyxZbbU

stay safe.

PS - I do not want to hear that any of you put that link in an email to Se. Saslaw. Don't want to see it in a post, either. Don't want to watch a video of you doing it.

Skid, you're pretty good at playing the banjo!

grylnsmn

Here's the promised follow up to the previous email with the details on the town hall meeting this Saturday. I won't be able to make it (we'll be celebrating our son's birthday instead), but if anyone else can, we might want to have some sort of presence.

Legislative Town Hall Meeting

Please Join

Senator Dick Saslaw
(Senate Democratic Leader, D-35th District)

Senator Dave Marsden
(D-37th District)

Delegate Kaye Kory
(D-38th District)

For an update on the 2013 legislative session

February 9th, 2013 -- 10:30AM to 12 noon

Sleepy Hollow Elementary School
3333 Sleepy Hollow Rd, Falls Church

TFred

Summary as introduced:
Norment is no friend. His sole vote killed the CHP privacy bill last year in the Senate Courts of Justice committee.

This bill, however, is dead for this year.

02/04/13 Senate: Failed to report (defeated) in Courts of Justice (3-Y 11-N 1-A)

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Norment is no friend. His sole vote killed the CHP privacy bill last year in the Senate Courts of Justice committee.

This bill, however, is dead for this year.

02/04/13 Senate: Failed to report (defeated) in Courts of Justice (3-Y 11-N 1-A)

TFred

I agree TFred. He is one of those that puts on a very poor act.

BTW Today is crossover. Tomorrow I can narrow my working lost considerably.