Thread: Need clarification of housing agreement.

Need clarification of housing agreement.

I live in Havelock, NC in a military housing development. It is private property and NOT federal property. In the lease agreement we are required to sign it has a list of things we are prohibited to do. One of which is: "Displaying a gun, knife, discharging a firearm or other weapon in the community in a way that might alarm others or engaging in threatening violence within the community." We have one nosey neighbor that threatens to call the police everytime I open carry. It doesn't matter if she sees me walking to my car with my 1911 in my hip holster, I'm bound to hear about it later. I guess my question is what is the law's definition of displaying? Would that clause include legal OC? If it does would that be an arrestable offense or would that just be something to get me kicked out of the neighborhood?

Quote Originally Posted by bensmithsta60 View Post
    I live in Havelock, NC in a military housing development. It is private property NOT federal property. In the lease agreement we are required to sign it has a list of things we are prohibited to do. One of which is: "Displaying a gun, knife, discharging a firearm or other weapon in the community in a way that might alarm others or engaging in threatening violence within the community." We have one nosey neighbor that threatens to call the police everytime I open carry. It doesn't matter if she sees me walking to my car with my 1911 in my hip holster, I'm bound to hear about it later. I guess my question is what is the law's definition of displaying? Would that clause include legal OC? If it does would that be an arrestable offense or would that just be something to get me kicked out of the neighborhood?
    An interesting dilemma. Just thinking out loud, being private property and you signed an agreement puts you in a bit of a quandary. I think that, "Displaying a gun, knife, discharging a firearm or other weapon in the community in a way that might alarm others or engaging in threatening violence within the community." , would be at the discretion of law enforcement (gulp and swallow) if called upon. As open carry is not illegal in NC there is that dang "going about armed to the terror of the public" which can be used as a catch-all, even tho there are specific elements to warrant enforcement. Explaining that as you take the ride "downtown" might make interesting car talk. Why not approach management of property and inquire, not specifically mind you, as to their position and NC open carry.

Military housing and "no guns" seems a bit of an oxymoron.
    Last edited by 94 at Large; 02-01-2013 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 94 at Large View Post
    Why not approach management of property and inquire, not specifically mind you, as to their position and NC open carry.

Military housing and "no guns" seems a bit of an oxymoron.
    well.. I tried calling the management today, but being the amazing employees they are they gave me a quite beautiful answer sidestepping the question comepletely. When I rephrased a little more directly to avoid a sidestep I was told: "Sir, it is NOT my job to explain the rules of the lease to you. If you had any questions you should have asked before you signed it." oh what a wonderful customer service response...

and trust me... the guns are here. not many carriers though...
    Last edited by bensmithsta60; 02-01-2013 at 03:23 PM.

There is always one idiot like that around

know the law and excersice it brother!