• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NCGV alert: First Day of Session/Gun Bills introduced

glockaholic

This was sent out yesterday by the NCGV, our friendly neighborhood anti-gun group. If reading this makes you angry, use that anger to call your NC Senator and Representative and make your own views known... maybe calm down a little first though. :)

=========

Last session you all responded overwhelmingly to let our legislators know that you did not want loaded concealed guns in bars and restaurants. 73% of North Carolinians opposed this bill and it did not move to a vote.

There is even less support for more guns in more public places now! Citizens do not want to chance having a firearm go off unintentionally. And no one wants another innocent life taken due to the over-zealous reactions of someone who perceives a move or gesture from a fellow diner as a threat.

Now, just as the legislative session begins we must ask you to speak up for the right to eat in peace again!

HB 17 was filed. Here is the text of the bill. It is an ugly attempt to weaken our gun laws and puts the public at risk. Restaurants do not want loaded concealed guns allowed in their establishments and they further do not want the added liability!

Today SB 27 was filed that would allow "certain persons certified by the NC Criminal Justice Education and Training Standards Commission and designated by a local board of education or board of directors of a charter school may possess and carry firearms on educational property to provide additional protection to those attending and working in public schools."

From a security expert-
The American Journal of Public Health, Volume 95, No. 5 determined that having firearms in the home increased the chance of injury or death. A South Carolina study determined that employees, allowed to carry guns in the workplace, increased their risk of injury five times.
Here are some other reasons why guns on school campuses are a bad idea:

More guns on campus increases the potential for unauthorized access to guns by the wrong people. The probability of the wrong person gaining access to a “good guy’s” gun is greater than the chance of that gun being used to save student lives. Guns can be accidentally left in purses or jacket pockets, and legitimate users can be overpowered by persons inside on campus.
Teachers and staff members are not trained to handle gun combat in a dynamic environment. Where police officers have ongoing training in the law, policy and procedure, this is not the case with civilians. The competence of a police officer is often judged by their ability to know when not to shoot, not just when they should pull the trigger.
Placing armed police officers in schools is incredibly expensive, particularly given the low number of incidents on a nationwide basis. Armed security can also become the first target of a determined gunman. School resources officers (SROs) should be considered an exception since they provide a wide variety of services beyond just being there with a gun.
The FBI reports 1.7 million incidents of workplace violence each year. Anger often displaces reason. Having guns in the hands of employees can turn a shoving match into a deadly confrontation. Workplace violence can also involve outsiders, parents, students, other employees or persons involved in a significant romantic relationship. Adding guns to the mix can make all such confrontations highly problematic.
Who’s the bad guy? A good guy with a gun may enter and see a man holding a smoking gun. That begs the question—is this the bad guy or another good guy with a gun?
Guns can breed overconfidence, where deadly force becomes the first rather than the last option. Instead of reporting a suspicious person, a good guy with a gun may take direct action—consider the Trayvon Martin shooting.
If that doesn't convince you, read this article!

We must stop this dangerous legislation and we need your help. Help us keep North Carolina safe for all families.
Find your North Carolina Representatives and call! Then send this email to your friends and family and have them call and forward!
NC House and NC Senate

Thank you for saving lives,

NCGV
http://www.ncgv.org/

paintman40

Would it be worth my time to email them with some words of wisdom? Nothing mean, disrespectful or threatening. Just to let them know that their 803 followers is a very small portion of the "73% of North Carolinians" that want more gun laws.

I am tempted though.

The Airframer

HB 17 was filed. Here is the text of the bill. It is an ugly attempt to weaken our gun laws and puts the public at risk. Restaurants do not want loaded concealed guns allowed in their establishments and they further do not want the added liability!

Today SB 27 was filed that would allow "certain persons certified by the NC Criminal Justice Education and Training Standards Commission and designated by a local board of education or board of directors of a charter school may possess and carry firearms on educational property to provide additional protection to those attending and working in public schools."

I am a firm supporter of HB 17. They want to allow concealed carry of firearms in restaurants that have a gross income of 30% or less from alcohol. This is not a bad idea, restaurants would still have the option to post "NO GUNS ALLOWED/SELF DEFENSE-FREE" signs on their door if this bill does become a law and they want to make that busisness mistake. In Virginia, we are not prohibited from carrying in restaurants and I can't find a story of a concealed or open carrier in VA "putting the public at risk" by patronizing resturants that serve alcohol. I can find countless stories of boycotts of restaurants that deny our rights.

SB 17 is the one you need to be concerned with, as they are attempting to revoke all reciprocity agreements with all other states and only honor CC permits issued by NC. This is a weak attempt for the judicial system to generate more revenue and would accomplish nothing.

SB 27:monkey Good stuff. Teachers need guns, schools need armed guards. I'd rather my children's teacher be holding a gun instead of a cell phone when some lunatic shoots his way in hellbent on destruction.

JABEACHFAN

I am a firm supporter of HB 17. They want to allow concealed carry of firearms in restaurants that have a gross income of 30% or less from alcohol. This is not a bad idea, restaurants would still have the option to post "NO GUNS ALLOWED/SELF DEFENSE-FREE" signs on their door if this bill does become a law and they want to make that busisness mistake. In Virginia, we are not prohibited from carrying in restaurants and I can't find a story of a concealed or open carrier in VA "putting the public at risk" by patronizing resturants that serve alcohol. I can find countless stories of boycotts of restaurants that deny our rights.

SB 17 is the one you need to be concerned with, as they are attempting to revoke all reciprocity agreements with all other states and only honor CC permits issued by NC. This is a weak attempt for the judicial system to generate more revenue and would accomplish nothing.

SB 27:monkey Good stuff. Teachers need guns, schools need armed guards. I'd rather my children's teacher be holding a gun instead of a cell phone when some lunatic shoots his way in hellbent on destruction.

I think you mis-read the SB17.

It think this more clearly blocks those who try and get out of state CCW permits. Remember in Virginia, there is an out of state application where you can attend the training online and pay the fee and receive an out of state CCW for Virginia. SB 17 would essentially block those states that allow out of state CCW permits. I guess that is still confusing. Let me do it Barney Big-Bird style. If Joe Schmoe, is a resident of South Carolina. Joe completes the online safety course and pays the fees for an Virginia Out of State CCW. He receive such permit. Now Joe is a SC resident with a Out of State Permit from the state of Virginia. This permit would not be honored in North Carolina. However, he is a South Carolina resident and if he obtains a South Carolina permit (would be considered SC resident) his South Carolina Permit would be protected under the reciprocity agreement.

Now does this make sense?

Links for more info.
http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_NonresidentConcealed.shtm

glockaholic

Another alert sent out today about tomorrow's rally...

======================

Tomorrow, Tuesday, February 5, at Noon, there will be a pro gun rally on the grounds of the General Assembly. They will be aggressively giving legislators an ear full of their rhetoric. These are the guys that want to continue to weaken our laws and put a gun in the hand of everyone, even those on the terrorist watch list! They want those guns present everywhere we take our families.

The bills they are pushing are premised on the fantasy of the heroic bystander, but common sense and experience show us it's just fantasy. More guns in chaotic situations mean more innocent people caught in the gunfire.
We need to let legislators know that the public does not support making our schools into militarized zones or our restaurants into shooting galleries!

Contact your representatives in Raleigh and let them know you expect them to protect the people’s right to be free from the gun violence killing our children and ravaging our neighborhoods.

If you have already contacted your own representatives and want to do more, please call the sponsors of the bills. They are hearing from the pro gun group.
They need to know we are here and we are determined to keep NC schools and restaurants gun free!

HB17 Guns in Bars/Restaurants Sponsors

Burr; Hager; Hollo; J. Bell; (Primary)
Arp; Blust; W. Brawley; Brody; R. Brown; Bumgardner; Cleveland; Collins; Fulghum; Hardister; Holloway; Horn; Iler; Jones; Jordan; Martin; McElraft; McGrady; McNeill; Millis; Moffitt; Pittman; Presnell; Saine; Samuelson; Schaffer; Setzer; Shepard; Speciale; Starnes; Steinburg; Stone; Szoka; Torbett; Warren; Ford;

HB27 Public School Protection/Firearm Amendments Sponsors

Stan Bingham; (Primary)
Andrew C. Brock; Bill Cook; Warren Daniel; Jim Davis; Clark Jenkins; E. S. (Buck) Newton; Shirley B. Randleman; Norman W. Sanderson; Jerry W. Tillman

We must stop this dangerous legislation and we need your help. Help us keep North Carolina safe for all families. Please donate!

Thank you for saving lives,

NCGV
http://www.ncgv.org/

csaunders

I posted something in their facebook page correcting a blatantly false article. They of course erased my message. One sided this jerks are. Can't express your side of the debate with them censoring anything you have to say.

rotorhead

I think you mis-read the SB17.

It think this more clearly blocks those who try and get out of state CCW permits. Remember in Virginia, there is an out of state application where you can attend the training online and pay the fee and receive an out of state CCW for Virginia. SB 17 would essentially block those states that allow out of state CCW permits. I guess that is still confusing. Let me do it Barney Big-Bird style. If Joe Schmoe, is a resident of South Carolina. Joe completes the online safety course and pays the fees for an Virginia Out of State CCW. He receive such permit. Now Joe is a SC resident with a Out of State Permit from the state of Virginia. This permit would not be honored in North Carolina. However, he is a South Carolina resident and if he obtains a South Carolina permit (would be considered SC resident) his South Carolina Permit would be protected under the reciprocity agreement.

Now does this make sense?

Links for more info.
http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_NonresidentConcealed.shtm

It would also apply to NC residents, too. If you are a resident here, you would not be able to carry concealed in NC with another state's non-resident permit (such as those from UT and FL).

Last edited:

JABEACHFAN

It would also apply to NC residents, too. If you are a resident here, you would not be able to carry concealed in NC with another state's non-resident permit (such as those from UT and FL).

Correct. I think the easiest way to put it is if you are issued a permit from a state that you are not a resident, then NC would not honor that permit.