• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

God, Guns and the Constitution

richarcm

God, Guns, & the Constitution Townhall Meeting
February 2, 2013 at 10:00 AM
Richmond Christian Center
Richmond Christian Center - 214 Cowardin Ave - Richmond, VA 23224

The free, non-partisan town hall meetings, God, Guns & The Constitution, offer a forum for discussing the issues of faith, guns, and self-determination with respect to the Second Amendment. God, Guns & The Constitution seeks to bring these issues to the forefront of the nation's communities through public gatherings and a call-to-action. The goal is to arrive at proposed solutions to share with national, state and local representatives, as well as citizens.

Panelists include Rev. William Cook, Founder and Director of the Black Robe Regiment of Virginia; Dr. Steve Parson, Pastor of the Richmond Christian Center; and Bill Owens, Sr., of the Coalition of African American Pastors. The Town Hall's featured speakers are Larry Pratt, Executive Director of Gun Owners of America; Attorney Patrick McSweeney of McSweeney & Crump, P.C.; Dr. Sam Gray of National Counseling Group; and, Rep. Joe Morrissey, VA House of Delegates (D - 74th district). Moderators are William Owens, Jr., for the God section, and former 3rd District congressional candidate, Dean Longo for the Guns and Constitutional section of the meeting.

http://godgunsconstitution.org/

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Thanks and kudos to Larry Pratt for agreeing to walk into the lion's den. The roster of program participants does not indicate an even-handed distribution of those representing the two majority positions. The roster of program participants includes those who in the past have been known to not only vigoroursly but violently disagree with opposing ideas and those that express them.

As much as I would like to go and "show the colors" I'm not sure I want to watch what has all the earmarks of a bacon tree*.

stay safe.

* - old joke about a Western settler of Germanic extraction who could not remember the right word so warned the cavalry of a bacon tree ahead. ("Bacon tree, ham bush, what's the difference?" is the punchline, in case you could not figure it out.)

2a4all

Thanks and kudos to Larry Pratt for agreeing to walk into the lion's den. The roster of program participants does not indicate an even-handed distribution of those representing the two majority positions. The roster of program participants includes those who in the past have been known to not only vigoroursly but violently disagree with opposing ideas and those that express them.

As much as I would like to go and "show the colors" I'm not sure I want to watch what has all the earmarks of a bacon tree*.

stay safe.

* - old joke about a Western settler of Germanic extraction who could not remember the right word so warned the cavalry of a bacon tree ahead. ("Bacon tree, ham bush, what's the difference?" is the punchline, in case you could not figure it out.)
I think the German immigrant might heard the story from a Mexican who, having been cut down by gunfire from hidden shooters, actually said: "Ees not a bacon tree, eet ees haambush.":eek:

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
Oh my gosh! It was anything, but anti second amendment! There may have been 50 or so people, maybe 7-8 antis including G.I. Joe.

The racial make-up was about 50/50.

The gender make-up of black and white was about 50/50.

The preachers were very conservative about 2nd Amendment and about Constitution.

Get rid of all pre-concieved notions that are force fed to us about black churches being exclusive to the Democrat playbook. I did not hear one anti comment from any black folks in there. The minister was with out question on-point, articulate and a heck of a moderator.

The preachers were very conservative. The pastor of the Church is very conservative, his wife read the NBC clarification about Lanza using pistols and not a rifle, one of the antis lost his mind at that point; claiming that fact was a lie.

Goddard and Haas left early.

There was a young anti lady who asked had the floor moderator to ask a question about when we could use guns to shoot our political leaders because of this fraudulent election. That one was weird. It's like she was trying to goat the pro 2nd Amendment panel to say something about shooting political leaders. She was the same young lady that spoke first at the Times Dispatch Public Forum accusing the the person that put on the presentation about the definitions of certain guns "propoganda."

It was a bloodbath for Morrissey, Larry Pratt jumped in to him with both feet. No one from the audience was picking up what G.I. Joe was putting down. The only people that were really happy to see him was Haas and Goddard and that was before it started.

I'll post pictures later, again; big shock! Not anti 2nd Amendment at all, it was just the opposite.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
1_zps028276a9.png

2_zps56b5cfe2.jpg

3_zpsa3ef1f01.jpg

4_zps28408099.jpg

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
The young lady in the following picture had the floor moderator ask a question about the most recent election being an illegitimate/fraudulent election and about when is it time to start shooting politicians. A really weird question. My take is that she has an image of a dangerous cartoon caricature of a Tea Party supporter. I think she asked that question as a "gotcha" question, with the illusion that someone was going to piggyback on it and start talking about shooting politicians. That is the same young lady that got to speak first at the Times Dispatch Public Forum. She was totally obnoxious, insulted the presenter of a slideshow that did nothing but explain the different types of guns.

5_zpsbeaaa0db.jpg

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
In this photograph you see a lady in red talking to another lady. That lady that the lady in red is talking to acted as if she was with some type of media. Asking questions and names, then writing it all down. Funny thing though, I only saw her talking to antis.

6_zps1dc72c0d.jpg

richarcm

I think Larry Pratt and myself were believing that this would be much more about guns. He seemed very bored for a while and frustrated that he had to wait 1.5 hours before being able to participate in the discussion.

My question I think was an important question but I didn't articulate it well because my voice was shaky. But I do fear the use of "mental illness" as a condition that would enable government the authority to decide who and who can not have a firearm. It is a blank check that they will learn to use to take guns away from JUST ABOUT everyone.

The crowd was very mixed in demographics but mostly pro-gun.

richarcm

The young lady in the following picture had the floor moderator ask a question about the most recent election being an illegitimate/fraudulent election and about when is it time to start shooting politicians. A really weird question. My take is that she has an image of a dangerous cartoon caricature of a Tea Party supporter. I think she asked that question as a "gotcha" question, with the illusion that someone was going to piggyback on it and start talking about shooting politicians. That is the same young lady that got to speak first at the Times Dispatch Public Forum. She was totally obnoxious, insulted the presenter of a slideshow that did nothing but explain the different types of guns.

5_zpsbeaaa0db.jpg

She was trying to bait one of the panelists into saying something on video that she/they could use to label the panelist and collectively all gun owners as extreme. It was a very nice try on her part but I don't think she got the answer she was hoping for....

Riverdance

[QUOTE My question I think was an important question but I didn't articulate it well because my voice was shaky. But I do fear the use of "mental illness" as a condition that would enable government the authority to decide who and who can not have a firearm. It is a blank check that they will learn to use to take guns away from JUST ABOUT everyone. [/QUOTE]

I fully share your concerns. The psychiatric hospitals of the old USSR were full of political "undesirables". We should be very careful what we wish for or articulate as a "solution" to violence, it could come back to haunt us.

Repeater

Forum examines gun issues through the prism of religion

Without a moral compass, gun-control is meaningless, because it's really about self-control:

Many see morals as critical issue, not firearms
Questions and comments from the audience of about 30 people tended to agree with Larry Pratt, executive director of Gun Owners of America, and Dennis Fusaro, former chairman of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, that the problem is a lack of moral values instead of a proliferation of guns.

“We have permitted as a Christian community for laws to be forced on us and have not drawn a line in the sand,” William Owens Jr., leader of Warriors Arise! Ministries, said during a discussion of religion in schools.

Del. Joseph D. Morrissey, D-Henrico, offered a dissenting voice on many of the issues. Limitations on rights are part of society, Morrissey said.