• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Recommendations

Daddynexxus

Hey, everyone. I'm new to the forums and will be new to OC soon. I am in the process of deciding on a handgun. Main reason for my want is protection for my wife and 4 month old. I was looking at the Sig Sauer Mosquito and have seen many mixed reviews. The lower price range is required on my current income 2-400 dollars plus holster, etc. thank you very much for your time.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on making that responsible decision.

You might consider a previously owned gun to expand your choices into larger calibers. While any gun is better than no gun when it is needed, there are more effective rounds than .22 when it comes to stopping an aggressor. Give it some thought and look around.

flb_78

Daddynexxus

Thanks for the advice. But I'm still looking to buy a -new- gun, and I know I can still get a very like-new used one. I am asking advice on a good, full-sized (I had med-large hands) handgun that won't break $400 dollars. Would the Mosquito be a good OC weapon? I'm not planning on going down to the range all day to shoot, just want something I can carry on me that I know will work when I need it to.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thanks for the advice. But I'm still looking to buy a -new- gun, and I know I can still get a very like-new used one. I am asking advice on a good, full-sized (I had med-large hands) handgun that won't break $400 dollars. Would the Mosquito be a good OC weapon? I'm not planning on going down to the range all day to shoot, just want something I can carry on me that I know will work when I need it to.

IMO - You'd be better served with a larger caliber.

Hi-Point semi-auto pistols are affordable + lifetime guaranteed.

The ain't purdy, but they do work as intended. I've known a number of people that started with them - all were satisfied with the results. You can buy one new plus have the enough funds for a holster and some ammo too.
http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/handguns/handgun_main.html

langzaiguy

Personally, I would rather have a quality, used weapon with a higher caliber. A .22 is certainly capable of killing, but you're probably going to need many shots with proper placement. A .22 doesn't have the stopping power that other calibers have.

Nascar24Glock

If you're willing to go to $500 (save up money for a couple of extra months if need be), I'd recommend a Generation 4 Glock. Assuming you'll want to carry both open and concealed, I'd recommend either the model 26 (9mm) or the model 27 (.40 S&W). Here's some good things about them

1. The model 26 and 27 work easily for both open and concealed carry. Sometimes I carry my 27 openly in a hip holster; sometimes I conceal it and stick it in my front jeans pocket.
2. The model 26 and 27 can be adapted to act somewhat like the full-size versions. In other words, if you decide you want higher capacity magazines, keep in mind that they will accept the magazines from the larger model versions in the same caliber (the 26 will accept magazines designed for the 19 and 17; the 27 will accept magazines designed for the 23 and 22).
3. The Glock is very easy to disassemble and reassemble. For a basic field-strip, I can literally disassemble and reassemble my Glock in under a minute with my eyes shut (I've done it several times, occasionally with a blindfold).
4. The Generation 4 models give you some versatility. If you or your wife are left-handed, the magazine release button can be reversed to accomodate a left-handed shooter. Also, I noticed that you said you have medium to large sized hands. The Generation 4 Glocks come with two removable backstraps. The medium backstrap gives the same grip size as Gen 3 and earlier Glocks; no backstrap reduces the grip size by about 2mm (which was critical for me, since I have small hands); and the large backstrap adds 2mm to the grip size compared to Gen 3 and earlier Glocks. So, this might be important if you and your wife have significantly different hand sizes.
5. Glocks tend to be very reliable. Hence, if an extra $100 really is a dealbreaker, you can pick up a used one for around $400 and not have to worry about it.

Like the others, I really would not recommend .22 LR for defense. It's a good, cheap ammo to use for practice; and .22 ammo can be deadly. But, it won't bring the attacker down immediately and could give the attacker time to stab, shoot, or otherwise harm you before finally going down. In a defensive situation, you want to stop the threat as quickly as possible. To do so, you really need one of (what I call) the Big Three: 9mm, .40 S&W, or .45 ACP (there are Glocks available in .45 ACP; but they tend to be closer to $600). And, unless you live in New Jersey where they're illegal, please use hollowpoints. They'll stop the threat more quickly and reduce the risk of target over-penetration.

MikeTheGreek

I highly suggest you stay away from a .22 for protection.

I just picked up a Ruger LCP .380 for $350, and I paid much more than I should have for it.

Great little gun.

Also, like someone said above, Hi-Points, they're not pretty....at all, they're actually hideous, but they perform under any conditions, and they're extremely cheap.

Your best bet for a 2-400$ price range would probably going to some gun shops and looking at their used guns and police trade-ins, you can get great firearms for a steal.

bunnspecial

I'd suggest really not being hung up on new, as most quality guns are hard to wear out provided that they're cleaned every once in a while and kept dry.

And, for a quality gun in the price range you desire, I think it's hard to be a used Smith and Wesson Model 10. Yes, this is a revolver, and is only 6 shots, but I'd rather have 6 shots of a larger caliber than 10 shots of .22. The model 10 is built on the "K" frame, which is a S&W's medium frame. With a 4" barrel, you get a nicely balanced gun with a long enough site radius to make it relatively easy to shoot well, but not too unwieldy to carry(they're even concealable under some circumstances). They're extraordinarily reliable, too.

I regularly see good condition used ones in the $200-300 range. I paid $225 for my model 64, which is identical to the model 10 except stainless steel rather than carbon steel.

EMNofSeattle

Personally

I am a big fan of revolvers, and I think you may want to look at that as well.

you can probably find a Taurus or Ruger .38 spl or .357 magnum in your price range, revolvers are easy to use and generally have less recoil then a similiar semi-auto.

but that's just me.

anything like a Ruger Security six or something like that.

FreeInAZ

IMO - You'd be better served with a larger caliber.

Hi-Point semi-auto pistols are affordable + lifetime guaranteed.

The ain't purdy, but they do work as intended. I've known a number of people that started with them - all were satisfied with the results. You can buy one new plus have the enough funds for a holster and some ammo too.
http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/handguns/handgun_main.html

This is sound advice. Take it. I own some very expensive pistols but none come close to hi-points warranty. I have two of their JHP (45 acp) & a 4595 TS carbine- they are reliable + accurate. Fugly - yes but who cares it's a tool. Add to this the fact you can get the mags for $18 shipped to your door from hi-point is a big plus. Another plus- their 40 cal & 45 carbines use the same mags as those cal pistols. For the little you have to spend HP is your best bet. The gun market has gone thru the roof so that is another reason to look at HP's. :D

Edit to add: as of a year ago (the 40 & 45 cals were going for $150-$170 new out the door at gun shows). What they are now I don't know but my guess would be $200 if you can find one new at the shows.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

My recommendation would be save up and buy a Glock. 9MM. Glock 17.

I certainly wouldn't rely on a 22lr to stop a threat immediately.

And I certainly wouldn't trust a hi point either.

Save a rock throw a hi point is about all I can say.

You own one? You shoot one ever? I own many glocks including a G17 with all the cool tacti-cool stuff. Guess what my 20 year old hp in 9mm mod. JS9 (full size prior to the C9) groups better & only cost $79 back then & is still covered under their warranty. They rebuilt it to new condition for me a year ago and replaced all the mags. My cost? ZERO :D

For what you pay - you cannot go wrong. Try shipping a 20 yr. Old glock back to the factory under warranty. Not bashing glocks - great guns too but try finding one for $200 today used. :rolleyes:

Check this video out. Hi-Points will perform under some drastic conditions. There are also several write-up in gun mags that can be found.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=2FoWpog5KU4&feature=relmfu

http://www.shootingtimes.com/2011/01/03/handgun_reviews_hipoint_100605/

Last edited:

markand

Lots of guns to choose from. I agree with everybody who has already said that you'd be better served by a caliber larger than .22 LR. If you're new to handguns, and interested in a semi-auto pistol, consider something in 9mm, .40 S & W, .357 SIG or .45 ACP. If you're interested in a revolver, look at something in .38 or .357. These calibers are those most commonly used by law enforcement and armed civilians and offer good performance in a defensive handgun. They're also the calibers that are most likely to be available (both handgun and ammo), even in the gun and ammo buying frenzy we seem to be experiencing. Yes, many other calibers are suitable for self defense, and even a .22 is better than bare hands, but the calibers mentioned are the most commonly used.

Scout out local ranges that rent guns and try everything they've got. Try a number of different handguns to see how they fit your hand. This is one of the most important things you can do as you're more likely to make accurate shots with a gun that fits your hand. Consider the weight of the gun. A gun that's too big or too heavy will eventually be left at home in the safe where it can't do you any good. Commonly offered advice is to choose the largest handgun in the largest caliber, that fits your hand, that you can shoot well AND that you're willing to carry every day.

We'd all like to buy new guns, but a well cared for used gun can be a major bargain and might let you acquire a handgun that would otherwise be out of your price range.

You didn't ask this, but if you're new to shooting, I'd also suggest finding a good instructor or experienced shooting partner and frequent range time to improve your skill with whatever handgun you end up getting. (Yes, I'm an instructor, but this isn't a plug. I don't do instruction full time and I'm certainly not going to become one of the 1% doing so. A patient instructor who's willing to work with you and passionate about helping people shoot well can be very valuable.)

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I agree with other who have said to go for something a little larger than a .22.

I personally own a Sig Mosquito and it is the only gun purchase I absolutely regret. I bought the limited edition desert camo version with the threaded barrel and faux suppressor. It looks really cool and feels great in the hand but has several problems. Mine constantly jams and has had many FTFs. I have tried numerous types of ammunition and sent it back for repair with no change in performance.

My recommendation is that you save a little bit more money so that you can expand your options a bit. Better to get the gun you want than the gun you can afford. Of course, if your need to carry is immediate and you have no other way to obtain a firearm (i.e. borrow from a friend) then you may not have that option. Even increasing your upper range to $500 is going to give you a lot more choices. I personally recommend looking at the original Springfield XD line, you should be able to find a good one in that price range.

FreeInAZ

You get what you pay for. Glock refurbishes a pistol if you send it in.

You won't find a Glock for $200. Why would someone drop the price that low on a popular, proven brand.

I think for terms of self defense in life threatening situation I wouldn't go for a hi point. Clunky, and is on a blowback design.

Nice way of skirting my questions :). So no, you have not ever shot a hi-point...correct? Yes Glock will reburbish a pistol sent to them but NOT UNDER WARRANTY after 20 years of use, and certainly not for free. You Sir are too young to be a gun snob just yet, give it a few more years okay? :p

The OP said he's got very limited funds. Right now used Glocks are going for almost what new ones cost due to the run on guns. As to clunky - many think Glock's are bricks too. You ever handle a M&P or a Walther etc...? They in my opinion are much more ergonomic.

Blow back guns have some advantages: simplicity/less parts, fixed barrel = accurate, since they must have heavier slides to cycle correctly, there is less muzzle flip/felt recoil (again aids in accurate shooting). This design has been around for over 100 years. Dude bash something based on it's function not cosmetics. I suppose you think black long guns are more dangerous too?:eek:

FreeInAZ

Well I got a S&W SD40 VE. Not sure if I'm saying it right, though. Haha I have a ways to go. So far been to Walmart, O'Charleys, and a couple other places with no problem.

Cool. Let us know how you like it in the next couple of weeks.

Pros/Cons.

Could help the next person in your situation. ;)

FreeInAZ

I have shot one and absolutely hated it. Not the model you mentioned, though. Less recoil? It was much more recoil than my glock. Accuracy was definitely not a strong point of the gun, either. The safety was an absolute joke.

He may have limited funds, but that doesn't give anymore credit to the gun. He could save up and get a gun he won't regret and then he won't be out $200 for a rock.

Yeah those long guns are dangerous. Where'd you pull that one from? I own an AR15.

Just yanking your chain on the AR (Scary looking - it looks scary to those who never used it - get it)? What specific (caliber) Hi-Point did you shoot may I ask? If you found the hi-point to have lots of recoil you may have weak wrists. Not picking on you many people do. I can shoot the 45 one handed with no issues easier than a full sized 1911 with an alloy frame. Recoil is dampened by greater mass not increased. More mass absorbs the explosive force better.To put it another way - would you rather have a 3 foot thick wall between you and a explosion or a piece of aluminium siding? See: laws of physics. The next time you find a friend who has a tiny little pocket gun in 380/9mm ask them to shoot it. You will understand my point for sure then.

Snip from article dealing with recoil Titled Reduce Recoil to improve marksmanship(long guns but idea is the same).
http://outdooralabama.com/hunting/hunterresources/articles/recoil.cfm

So, what are some steps you can take to reduce recoil? .....
Second, increase the gun’s weight. A shotgun transfers the recoil impact from the shotshell to the shooter. The heavier the gun, the less actual recoil force transferred. Weight can be added to the gun via recoil reducers that are added to the barrel(s) and the stock. Also, there is a common misconception that a 20-gauge shotgun will kick less than a 12-gauge, when many times the opposite is true. Most 20-gauge shotguns are built on smaller frames, which make them lighter, actually causing them to kick more. Anything you can do to add weight to your gun will reduce recoil.

ETA - I hope one day I get to your area. I will meet up with you and we can have a match (open sights) out to a hundred yards if you want with our pistols. I bet I can outshoot you ;) with those so called rocks I own. You might beat me if we go G17 against G17...maybe :p

Last edited:

DangerClose

Sig Mosquito sucks. And not because of the caliber.

I'm reading this thread late, but the OP bought one of the three more inexpensive guns I would have recommended. ...hey, where's the thumbs-up icon around here? This place needs more icons.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Sig Mosquito sucks. And not because of the caliber.

I'm reading this thread late, but the OP bought one of the three more inexpensive guns I would have recommended. ...hey, where's the thumbs-up icon around here? This place needs more icons.

It's right here
icon14.png
........:)

See the Post Icons group just beneath the message box - copy and paste works.