• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Recommendations

DangerClose

It's right here
icon14.png
........:)

See the Post Icons group just beneath the message box - copy and paste works.

That's an oddball way to do it, but I guess it at least works.
icon14.png

FreeInAZ

I can roll 60 pounds repeatedly on my wrists. Workout all the time. If that's weak then I'm not sure what isn't. I'm aware of what weight does to a gun.

A match you say? Now you have be interested. :)

That's the spirit! The next time I am headed back east to visit family I'll send you a PM and see if we can set it up. Loser buys snacks? :dude:

45acpForMe

Are there any other reasons other than price that you are looking at the mosquito or .22LR?

Some people (disabled, elderly, young, inexperienced) can't handle much recoil and a .22LR gun is about all they are guaranteed to be able to handle. If your wife is willing to try a larger caliber I would strongly suggest it. If not any gun is better than no gun.

For home defense a 20ga shotgun may be a good choice if both you and your wife are going to use it.

As far as the mosquito, I am a big Sig Sauer fan but when I went looking for a good .22LR pistol to train my daughters I decided against the Mosquito because of several other's bad reviews. Part of their bad reviews is the cartridge itself. I bought a Walther P22 thinking Walther had a good reliable name but it jams/ftf fairly often too using bulk ammo. If you go with 22LR you should 1) buy good quality ammo and/or 2) get a revolver to avoid cyclying/jamming issues.

There are so many good guns out there now for around $500. I would suggest a S&W M&P9 but you can try/rent guns at many ranges so go try some and see which you like and what caliber you both can control.

FreeInAZ

@45acpForMe

He bought a S&W SD/VE in 40 cal. Now we are just waiting on his range review. ;)

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
If it comes to using a reliable .22 or waiting a significant period of time for something else, I'd carry the .22 without hesitation. HAVING the gun and the will to use it stops most gunfights. Shooting (especially hitting) stops most of the rest. VERY few adversaries are going to continue attacking while being shot with ANYTHING. That said, every once in a while, stopping power matters. But being able to put lead downrange very controllably (easy with a .22) is the most important bit, and the .22 can do that for you.

I carry a .45 because I can. I'd carry a .22 rather than go unarmed for any period of time.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Sights are off a bit, unless I really aim directly at the circle from 20 yards and just constantly hit to the right, lol. Overall, great gun.

The problem may not be the sights, but could be attributable to how you are squeezing off your shots. Have another consistantly good shooter try your gun and see if he/she hits the same place. Read the following link to possibly discover a hidden problem with grip/trigger control.

http://blog.hsoi.com/2009/06/15/correcting-handgun-shooting-problems/