• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hb 77 re-incarnated – same song, second verse:

AH.74

Question for you guys who go to gun shows, since I've never been to one and don't plan on ever going to any- do they stamp your hand or give you an entry ticket to be able to leave and re-enter the facility?

If so- do you see where I'm going with this?

XDm

The problem with this bill and many others is the ability to circumnavigate the legal requirements either by a quick visit "offsite" or sheer unwillingness to comply.

And while I'm at it , let me say gun shows have never been a cheap alternative to purchasing guns, ammo, or supplies. If anybody thought prices were bad before Q4-2012 you should see what others around the country are reporting from their shows relating to gouging and rididiculously exhorbitant prices post Connecticut events. I suppose If people are dumb enought to pay to enter a buidling just to window shop and browse then I suppose they probably deserve to be gouged.

Paying to enter, paying more for items, and being bound by extra laws and regulations means I will NEVER visit gun shows. I laugh at the suckers that do.

Thickasabrick

Gun Shows

I've not been to a gun show in twenty years or so, and the last one was when I lived in Illinois (*shiver*). Then, gun shows were a point-of-recruitment by the NRA. With all that has been going on, I doubt the NRA will need to actively recruit members anymore, as the powers that be seem to be that doing just fine for them.

So with the ability to buy on the internet, local shops, and with democrats-gone-wild the gun shows may just fade away.......and not be missed. Those of you who do go to gun shows.....have you noticed declining numbers? Just curious.

AH.74

From reports I have read, they are more crowded and busy than people have ever seen before, with long lines to get in.

RogueWarrior

I'm thinking of going to the one on the3rd of next month only because there are things that I do not seein shops

XDm

Saw on the news last night that this was going before the Senate last night after 6p but I didn't know until 7p - too late to make the drive up there.
Any word on it?

AH.74

Saw on the news last night that this was going before the Senate last night after 6p but I didn't know until 7p - too late to make the drive up there.
Any word on it?

Hmm, I haven't heard anything, nor have I seen it on the agendas or the daily reports. The activity abbreviation indicates it's still waiting on the senate committee schedule.

XDm

I also got the NRA hearing report same day - and LATE. Looks like they got blindsided by it too. I can forward the info to your email if you want.

Contact members of this Committee IMMEDIATELY in opposition to House Bill 77!

House Bill 77 has been added to the Senate Public Affairs Committee agenda for today, and will likely be heard after 6:00 p.m. If able, please make plans to attend this important public hearing to voice your opposition to HB 77. The Senate Public Affairs Committee will meet in Room 321 in the state Capitol in Santa Fe.

If you are unable to attend, please call AND email members of this Committee and respectfully voice your opposition to House Bill 77. Contact information for members of this Committee is listed below.

Although House Bill 77, sponsored by Rep. Miguel Garcia (D-ABQ), has undergone significant revisions since its introduction, NRA-ILA still opposes the portion of the House-approved version which would criminalize private transfers at gun shows. HB 77 mandates that organizers or promoters of gun shows in New Mexico provide the services of a federal firearms licensed dealer (FFL) to process background checks for private firearm transfers, and requires that all transfers at these events go through an FFL unless transferred to a New Mexico concealed handgun licensee. This measure also provides immunity from liability to the transferor and the FFL for complying with this requirement, requires mental health records that disqualify someone from being able to purchase or possess firearms to be reported to the FBI for inclusion in the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, and establishes a process for the restoration of rights if the disqualifying condition is removed.

Contact information for members of the Senate Public Affairs Committee:

Senator Gerald Ortiz y Pino – Chair
Phone: (505)986-4482
Email: jortizyp@msn.com

Senator Bill O’Neill – Vice Chair
Phone: (505)986-4260
Email: oneillsd13@fastmail.us

Senator Jacob Candelaria
Phone: (505)986-4391
Email: jacob.candelaria@nmlegis.gov

Senator Ron Griggs
Phone: (505)986-4276
Email: ron.griggs@nmlegis.gov

Senator Daniel Ivey-Soto
Phone: (505)986-4270
Email: daniel.ivey-soto@nmlegis.gov

Senator Timothy Keller
Phone: (505)986-4726
Email: tim.keller@nmlegis.gov

Senator Gay Kernan
Phone: (505)986-4274
Email: ggkern@valornet.com

Senator Craig Brandt
Phone: (505)986-4267
Email: craig.brandt@nmlegis.gov

XDm

and I just got word -

deadlocked 4-4 (comes up for review again tomorrow)

AH.74

It is very dirty pool, I think, to slip this in with no public notice especially after all the attention it got initially.

What foul play. Truly hard to believe. I'm just glad it has stalled again for the moment.

Last edited:

XDm

I expect 578 to be handled in the same 'last-minute' fashion.

AH.74

I was offline all day but just learned that this was put back on for SPAC today. Hopefully it will stall again.