• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Franklin Institute

AFCop

Who owns it, is it statutarily off limits and what are some issues, laws and rules I should be aware of. Taking the kids so any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Curmudgeon

I haven't been there, but reports are that there are no signs and no metal detectors. So far, everyone who has CC'd there has not had a problem. There are no statutory restrictions, but stay away from federal buildings/facilities while in the area.

Conceal carry, make sure you have your permit/license from a reciprocal state (Virginia is one) and enjoy your visit.

matrosov

I know this is a little stale but maybe it will help somebody else. Since I live in Philly and take my kids to those museums all the time. Franklin Institute, Museum of natural history, Philly art museum, and Philly Zoo are not part of federal or state governments even though they are in part funded by them. You are ok to conceal carry in all of them provided you have PA LTCF or PA recognized concealed carry permit from another state. You will most likely be hassled and asked to leave if you OC being that this is Philly and those museums are considered private property, not to mention that depending on police officer responding you might be detained for "disturbing the peace", OC carry on the streets of Philly requires LTCF and there is a virtual guarantee that police will make contact with you if you're OC here. Also Philly prohibits carrying of knives of any kind unless those knives are for use in trade or business. That particular law is not subject to state preemption and even though it is rarely enforced it might be used depending on a police officer. Generally Philly cops are ok to deal with they've received quite a bit of training lately in dealing with gun carrying public, but I don't fall in category of activists so I cover well when I'm round and about.

So in short make sure you covered up and cover garment is long enough so your holster doesn't show and you're good to go

IT_Chip

I know this is a little stale but maybe it will help somebody else. Since I live in Philly and take my kids to those museums all the time. Franklin Institute, Museum of natural history, Philly art museum, and Philly Zoo are not part of federal or state governments even though they are in part funded by them. You are ok to conceal carry in all of them provided you have PA LTCF or PA recognized concealed carry permit from another state. You will most likely be hassled and asked to leave if you OC being that this is Philly and those museums are considered private property, not to mention that depending on police officer responding you might be detained for "disturbing the peace", OC carry on the streets of Philly requires LTCF and there is a virtual guarantee that police will make contact with you if you're OC here. Also Philly prohibits carrying of knives of any kind unless those knives are for use in trade or business. That particular law is not subject to state preemption and even though it is rarely enforced it might be used depending on a police officer. Generally Philly cops are ok to deal with they've received quite a bit of training lately in dealing with gun carrying public, but I don't fall in category of activists so I cover well when I'm round and about.

So in short make sure you covered up and cover garment is long enough so your holster doesn't show and you're good to go

Thank you very much for this info, I will be going today and will gladly post my experience.