Thread: DIY Cheap custom fit ear plugs, or ear buds

DIY Cheap custom fit ear plugs, or ear buds

Here is a vid for DIY easy cheap custom ear plugs for shooting, motorcycle riding, or custom fit ear buds. It's a silicone mold putty typically for craft like projects.

The product in the vid is Easy Mold from Michael's for about $20 but also available elsewhere. I recommend finding a coupon on their website for 40% off, like I did. You can also do the same for Joann Fabrics if they carry it near you. I found a 50% off coupon for them but my local store didn't have it. I paid about $12 and can make quite a few pairs.

There are also other commercial brands available like Radians for $10-15. But your only gonna get probably one pair.

Wanna put them on a rope around your neck? http://www.amazon.com/Radians-CEPNC-...ef=pd_sim_hi_1

Last edited by Motofixxer; 11-03-2013 at 10:50 PM.
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

cool
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Re: DIY Cheap custom fit ear plugs, or ear buds

I've always just used my cigarette butts...

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Banned
    I don't like to shove things in my ear ... I use muffs .. or nothing

And you should practice a little with nothing .. in the real world, you won't have your muffs

Re: DIY Cheap custom fit ear plugs, or ear buds

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post

And you should practice a little with nothing .. in the real world, you won't have your muffs
    I gotta disagree with you on this one. While it is good to know what it feels like to shoot your firearm without your plugs in, it should not be part of your practice regiment. All you are doing is damaging your ears for no good reason. You know how they say you don't feel the recoil when you're hunting? when shooting an oncoming attacker, you wont notice that your ears are ringing until after the event. Hell, I kept a cig butt in my right ear when we'd go on missions, but that was because I would usually end up gunning behing a M2 or a MRK-19. Gotta save the hearing in one of my ears...

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

I just made my first pair today. They are pretty cool and feel pretty comfortable. I like the really low profile aspect of them. You can probably get at least 10 pair from kit as opposed to the Radians kit where reviewers complain about how little you get. You do have to work pretty quickly as it sets quick. I suggest doing one ear at a time. You need approximately a nickel sized ball to do one ear and be sure to push it in a ways. Be sure to push it in, in case I forgot to mention be sure to push it into your canal. Also don't talk while they are setting up. It will change the size and shape of your ear canal. There is a crackling rice crispies sound while it's setting up.
    Last edited by Motofixxer; 11-03-2013 at 11:08 PM.
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

NO FREAKIN WAY!!! There is no way I would shoot even a .22 without some protection if I know I'm going to shoot it. If in the rare chance I have to fire a weapon in self defense to protect my life, I will sacrifice a bit of my hearing. I will not sacrifice it for training. Even the military will not compensate you for hearing loss these days, since hearing protection is mandated when firing weapons.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

I shot my .357 once outside without hearing protection. I won't do it again, my ears were ringing for about an hour.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    Too lazy to do a blog! Follow me on Twitter instead! @6ShotScott

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    NO FREAKIN WAY!!! There is no way I would shoot even a .22 without some protection if I know I'm going to shoot it. If in the rare chance I have to fire a weapon in self defense to protect my life, I will sacrifice a bit of my hearing. I will not sacrifice it for training. Even the military will not compensate you for hearing loss these days, since hearing protection is mandated when firing weapons.
    You are wise. And the troll tries to get folks to do stupid things.

Muffs are not as effective. And if you wear glasses (you know, like safety glasses), these usually go through the seal of the muffs and make them even less effective.

I wear the foamies. And if I shoot something loud or ported or indoors, I wear muffs over the foamies.

I fired my ported .357 once without hearing protection when I was in my twenties. My ears were in pain for three days. Probably most of the hearing loss that I have today was from that one incident.

It is criminal what lengths the government goes through to prevent most of us from using sound mufflers on firearms, considering their mandated use for almost everything else.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip