• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

folding stock to auto-fire ??

Old Virginia Joe

Last week on the Rush Limbaugh show a man called in and mentioned how an AR-15 WITH A FOLDING STOCK can be fired AUTO if the stock were engaged folded. Rush did not know what to say, not being a gun enthusiast, but he was skeptical. The man insisted it was true, saying his son-in-law has one, so he "knows." Did anyone else hear this, and can address the truth? I doubt this is true. Millions of people heard this, unfortunately, and I have seen no discussion online about the claim. Thanks.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
A. He;s an idiot!
B. He's an idiot and thinking of bump firing.
C. He's an idiot and thinking of a Slide Stock.

All perfectly legal. (Even being an idiot)

[video=youtube;I6BFarrICWs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6BFarrICWs&feature=player_embedded#![/video]

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Last week on the Rush Limbaugh show a man called in and mentioned how an AR-15 WITH A FOLDING STOCK can be fired AUTO if the stock were engaged folded. Rush did not know what to say, not being a gun enthusiast, but he was skeptical. The man insisted it was true, saying his son-in-law has one, so he "knows." Did anyone else hear this, and can address the truth? I doubt this is true. Millions of people heard this, unfortunately, and I have seen no discussion online about the claim. Thanks.

These sorts of people are the most dangerous to our "cause" since they tend to make statements like this with an air of smugness and authority. We see these types everywhere and it's not uncommon to find them in gun shops or department store sports and outdoor counters. With their perceived superior knowledge, they spread disinformation and outright lies and unfortunately, those who know little to nothing about the subject matter, take them at their word.

It is from these people that I get the most enjoyment when breaking their bubble and catching them in their own morass.

Last edited:

2a4all

I remember that episode.

His claim isn't true. AFIK, he was describing bump-fire, perhaps with a slide-fire stock installed. I called the show (and actually got to talk to the call screener), who told me that he had a half-dozen callers cued ahead of me who had also called to refute this claim, one of whom was a cop. The screener said he was trying to get the cop on the air before the show ended, but I didn't hear that person.

IIRC, Rush actually used the term "bump-fire" while talking to the man to get him to clarify his statements.

Old Virginia Joe

Thanks for responding. Situations like this really stink! I guess the damage is done, and on a national scale! Maybe someone can get on-air on a Friday soon, on Rush's "open-line Friday" and try to clear it up, as much as possible. I hope that lucky caller can point out to the listeners how this tactic is being used by the antis to deceive and lie to confuse and mislead the public in the middle, which will be the mass of Americans that tip the 2A scale one way or the other!

Could some one define "bump-fire" and "slide-fire stock" for me? Never heard of those terms, even though I'm an army vet--I feel seriously out of touch not to know these things. Don't think we had those options on our Colt M-16s.

Long-time listeners to Rush may remember long ago when he used made up terms like "disgronificator" to illustrate how mechanics used to make up stuff to charge rubes extra for auto repairs.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Thanks for responding. Situations like this really stink! I guess the damage is done, and on a national scale! Maybe someone can get on-air on a Friday soon, on Rush's "open-line Friday" and try to clear it up, as much as possible. I hope that lucky caller can point out to the listeners how this tactic is being used by the antis to deceive and lie to confuse and mislead the public in the middle, which will be the mass of Americans that tip the 2A scale one way or the other!

Could some one define "bump-fire" and "slide-fire stock" for me? Never heard of those terms, even though I'm an army vet--I feel seriously out of touch not to know these things. Don't think we had those options on our Colt M-16s.

Long-time listeners to Rush may remember long ago when he used made up terms like "disgronificator" to illustrate how mechanics used to make up stuff to charge rubes extra for auto repairs.

Bump firing is a technique by which you place your trigger finger in front of the trigger, press the trigger it to fire the first shot, then keeping your finger somewhat straight and on the trigger, you allow the gun's recoil and your support hand on the handguard applying forward pressure continue to fire the rifle in rapid succession (I hope I got all of that across and correct). A slide fire stock is one that moves on the buffer tube and therefore also moves the grip. With your finger on the trigger and your support hand on the handguard to counteract the recoil, the slide fire stock moves enough to allow the trigger finger to rapidly fire the rifle.

Bump fire;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOW_dcOrd9Y

Slide fire stock;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LtvmvFjJ2Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9m7Qfj-pTM

Riverdance

No, but I once had an AK trigger assembly that caused me to burp out random double or triple taps. Got some strange looks at the range, and my buddy fixed it for me pronto.

JoeSparky

Centurion
And you admit/advertize that you were once in possession of an illegal and unregistered machine gun in violation of federal law? Strongly, suggest that you delete or modify your post! ASAP