• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB-402 Restrict Assault Weapons and Large Magazines in NM

AH.74

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. "
Thomas Jefferson

Paraphrased quite nicely in the film "V For Vendetta":

People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people.

Matt St. John

I don't really want to split hairs, but you got my point.

Essentially for the reps to be afraid of us, we have to give thim something to fear/hold over their head. And just not re-electing them next term isn't enough.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I don't really want to split hairs, but you got my point.

Essentially for the reps to be afraid of us, we have to give thim something to fear/hold over their head. And just not re-electing them next term isn't enough.

That is however what we do here - we either cause changes through the election process or through the courts.

Not sure what you are implying and do NOT want to see extreme responses on OCDO, so as a preemptive response all should take heed of Forum Rule #15

(15) WE ADVOCATE FOR THE 'LAW-ABIDING' ONLY: Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts.

Matt St. John

You won't catch anything that isn't law abiding from me. But, you can recall an elected position, you don't have to sit by and let them float around until they come up for re-election. There are many options available, and we are not helpless in this. The issue is the overall ignorance that surrounds us. People know more about what their facebook friends dogs eat on a daily basis than what political issues are currently threatening our way of life.

Tony Lawrence

Nm hb 402

Being new to Opencarry, I am not familiar with a lot of the acronyms used herein and ask that they be expanded on occassion.

I strongly agree with all the previous comments that mention this bill as a very poorly written instrument by one who should be intelligent enough to represent all the legal citizens of New Mexico, and not just those of his/her district. There is one portion of the bill that completely baffles me, and I would appreciate if if one of our members could explain it better than the drafter of the bill. I refer to Section 1, H. (3) which I have pasted here:

"large-capacity ammunition-feeding device"
means a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip or similar device that
has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted
to, accept more than ten rounds of ammunition or that contains
more than seven rounds of ammunition and includes an attached
tubular device designed to accept, and is capable of operating
only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition or a feeding device
that is a curio or relic.

In particular, why is the reference to a .22 used here. I know many .22s have a tubular magazine, but is the writer trying to exclude these from the bill? Please help.

Thanks.

XDm

PLEASE PLEASE make sure to start writing NOW and plan to attend when this gets calendared.

AH.74

Being new to Opencarry, I am not familiar with a lot of the acronyms used herein and ask that they be expanded on occassion.

In particular, why is the reference to a .22 used here. I know many .22s have a tubular magazine, but is the writer trying to exclude these from the bill? Please help.

Thanks.

Tony- welcome to the forum.

If you're referring to what you put in bold above, it means New Mexico House Bill. There other types of bills including senate bills.

I believe the idiot, I mean author, is attempting to INCLUDE tubular magazines. In other legislation I believe they were specifically excluded. This would ban our lever-actions and 10/22's and is completely absurd.

snoball

As before, I do not support these demonstrations - AT THIS TIME IN NM.

I continue to be pulled aside in the legislature so people on both sides of the firearm issue, for them to tell me their thoughts on some of what they are seeing with the rally recently held here, and more importantly, what some are doing in the Capitol during hearings.

I have a good friend in a very powerful position find me and pull me aside yesterday to discuss what happened in a committee last Tuesday. I should have been at that hearing but was called back to Clovis on urgent business. Once again, someone came to a committee hearing with a 1911, openly carried in condition one. My friend is a gun guy. As the testimony "warmed up" he noted the person carrying appeared to him to become moderately agitated to the point he became concerned. Nothing happened and the hearing adjourned. Following the hearing, he had "a gaggle of people" approach him about the guy with the gun.

He told me to keep an eye toward an effort to declare the Capitol off-limits.

Try to think this through before you act. We are in for the fight of our life. Where I certainly - and pretty clearly - support our rights, there is a time and place for everything. We are in the minority in the legislature. Angering the lawmakers while they're actually in the process of trying to create laws that limit those rights - and in this case, they absolutely do have the power to limit them - is not only not a good idea, it make the job of those of us actually trying to prevent that from happening using the legislative process much more difficult.

As always, you have to follow your own path but please try to think your actions through first.

Lastly - to the anonymous individual that emailed me to tell me I was restricting his rights and declared me an anti-firearm nazi - Sir, you are a moron of the highest caliber. Attacking me from a bogus email account so I can't even reply speaks volumes about you. You and your ilk need to bring your happy ass to the capitol and see what's really happening here.

Steve Aikens

I hesitated to post originally because of the kind of comments Steve received about open carry at the legislature. In hindsight, he was correct as usual. I write letters in support of our gun rights to the legislature, but have only attended hearings twice. Steve makes the greatest contribution of anyone in the gun community when it comes to political awareness and advancing our rights, there is no match.
I also want to carry openly (or concealed as I choose), but there is a time and place. As evidenced by the editorial in today's section A8 of the Albuquerque Journal, there is a call by the editor to limit open carry in the state capitol. The piece starts with "Take Display of Guns Out of the Roundhouse" and ends with the comment that only four states allow open or concealed carry in their state capitols. We don't want to make that three. Photos of people carrying AR-15's at the capitol do not advance our cause.
While we want to insure that our rights are continued and we make a visible display, we should be careful when and where we make a statement.
I want to thank Steve again for his leadership and countless hours on our behalf.

AH.74

I am completely in agreement with you guys that OC inside the capital building is unwise. That is why I will not do it. I have a CCW and make use of it in an instance like that.

The problem is people making a huge deal out of it when it shouldn't be one, at all.

NMOCr

Just called my senator/reps

I just called my senator and my house rep, and left a message that I was against it. I am now emailing them too. I urge everyone to call AND email because I have noticed that in some cases when you call your house rep, one operator is taking messages for multiple reps, and I think that all that they are doing is taking down the "for" or "against" tallys, and not forwarding the reasons why that they should oppose these bills.

FORFREEDOM1988

This guy steven easley needs to get removed from his seat and lose his paycheck.

He is just trying to make a name for himself no question about it. I do not want to turn into new york or California in terms of their assault on the second amendment. Has anyone here in NM Called the NRA to see what they have at the Legislature??????

I emailed my reps but never got a reply i will definitely call them this week and leave a voicemail telling them how i voted for you but if you don't oppose this hb 402 they will not get my vote again. I am always respectful in my emails and Calls/Voicemails. I cannot express how much i am against hb 402 and i do not like represenative Steven Easley. I hope this is his only time in office just for even introducing this waste of time Vote him out Vote him Out.

Does anyone know if Governor Susana Martinez would veto this assault on our 2nd Amendment??????

Did the public hearings already take place??????

What do you guys think does it stand a chance of passing?????

I know these Politicians want to keep their paychecks so they will go (well hopefully go for what we ask).

Have there even been any shooting incidents in NM involving a (So Called Assault Weapon and or High Cap magazine)????????

People that aren't educated on what a Real Assault Weapon is Need to shut up and get educated on Firearms.

Last edited:

AH.74

Check out the other thread for updates- the bill was tabled earlier this week.

http://newmexico.watchdog.org/16960/assault-weapon-ban-bill-tabled/

Get a load of Easley's comment in this article- "there's always next year." I sent him a second email today saying he was a disgrace and that I will be working to unseat him when the time comes, so I agree with you on that 100%.

Read the fiscal impact report of the bill. It is unbelievable to me that something so full of problems can even make it to committee. I really don't get that.

http://www.nmlegis.gov/lcs/_session.aspx?Chamber=H&LegType=B&LegNo=402&year=13

Nate Forrest

They never quit.....

Apparently Mr. Easley is quite afraid of freedom loving and responsible Americans exercising their rights. And he never stops...... He will be shortly introducing HB 578 which will make carrying of firearms in the Capitol building illegal. Keep your eyes open for this one and we really need to get this individual voted out of office when he comes up in 2014. HB 402 will be resurrected next session. We must be prepared to meet it with the full force of our political might. He is an enemy of the Republic to be sure.

Nate Forrest

HB 402 and HB 578

The Governor's staff has assured me that Governor Martinez would not sign a bill such as this one into law.

You may log onto New Mexico Legislature via Google and go to the Bill Finder section to keep tabs on all of the proposed legislative hearings. This site is updated each week day after 7:00 pm and these committee hearings are open to the public. Respect for the legislators (I know, it can be extremely hard) and the decorum must be observed.

I have been in hearings where citizens were carrying openly and was very happy to see that. However, this is a very sensitive issue and common sense and tact should be the rule of the day. Easely introduced HB 578 on 2/13/13 and it will begin the hearing process any day. This bill would make it illegal to carry in the Roundhouse.

We must pack these hearings and respectfully demand that our rights not be abridged but again we must be orderly about it.

Nate Forrest

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The "round house" is the people's house and conduct supporting the 1st and 2nd Amendments must not be curtailed there of all places.

FORFREEDOM1988

Yes yes yes no more worrying so that means the bill is dead until next year right?

Yeah I am in Santa Fe and my House Rep is Jim Trujillo and Senator Nancy Rodriguez. I emailed them telling them to Vote against it i never heard back but now that it is Tabled i don't think i need to call them like i was going to. So does this mean that this ******** 402 bill is Dead and cannot be introduced again until 2014??????

Yes anyone who can Vote this *** Bag Easley out of Office please do. Maybe he will learn his is lesson if you wanna keep that nice paycheck for being a lawmaker you have to go with what the majority of people want.
I wish i could vote him out but he is not my district otherwise i would be the first one to vote this *** bag out.

Last edited by a moderator: