Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Restricted Locations?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    300

    Restricted Locations?

    We all know that there are certain places we can't carry. Hospitals and nursing homes being among them. There is an exception that says if you have written permission from those places, the restriction doesn't apply to you. My question is this, if my church gives me written permission would I be exempt? Besides, most hospitals are privately owned so I assume that's why they can give written permission. Since ALL churches are privately owned, shouldn't the same rule apply?

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran ak56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Carnation, Washington, USA
    Posts
    748
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangkiller View Post
    We all know that there are certain places we can't carry. Hospitals and nursing homes being among them. There is an exception that says if you have written permission from those places, the restriction doesn't apply to you. My question is this, if my church gives me written permission would I be exempt? Besides, most hospitals are privately owned so I assume that's why they can give written permission. Since ALL churches are privately owned, shouldn't the same rule apply?
    46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER.
    (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally fails to conceal the handgun.
    (b) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, on or about the license holder's person:
    ...

    (4) on the premises of a hospital licensed under Chapter 241, Health and Safety Code, or on the premises of a nursing home licensed under Chapter 242, Health and Safety Code, unless the license holder has written authorization of the hospital or nursing home administration, as appropriate;
    (5) in an amusement park; or
    (6) on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of religious worship.
    ...
    (i) Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6), and (c) do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.


    If your church is not posted per 30.06, you are good to carry - no permission required ( same for hospital, nursing home, or amusement park).
    No right is held more sacred, or is more carefully guarded, by the common law than the right of every individual to the possession and control of his own person, free from all restraint or interference of others, unless by clear and unquestionable authority of law. Union Pacific Rail Co. vs Botsford as quoted in Terry v Ohio.


    Talk to your cats about catnip - before it's too late.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    300
    Wow, that's pretty sad. I've read that many,many times and for some reason missed the last part of that everytime . Thanx for the heads up.

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran ak56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Carnation, Washington, USA
    Posts
    748
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangkiller View Post
    Wow, that's pretty sad. I've read that many,many times and for some reason missed the last part of that everytime . Thanx for the heads up.
    You are not alone. I've had to point that out before on this and other forums.

    My daughter and Son-in-law live in Lubbock, and my wife and I drive down from here in Washington State every spring to visit, so I try to know the carry laws of Texas (and points in between).
    No right is held more sacred, or is more carefully guarded, by the common law than the right of every individual to the possession and control of his own person, free from all restraint or interference of others, unless by clear and unquestionable authority of law. Union Pacific Rail Co. vs Botsford as quoted in Terry v Ohio.


    Talk to your cats about catnip - before it's too late.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Big D
    Posts
    1,059

    Restricted Locations?

    The requirement to post hospitals and such was a change. Originally, you could not carry those places, even when not posted.

    As usual, the laws got convoluted through the change process.

  6. #6
    Regular Member ()pen(arry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA; escaped from 18 years in TX
    Posts
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by nonameisgood View Post
    The requirement to post hospitals and such was a change. Originally, you could not carry those places, even when not posted.

    As usual, the laws got convoluted through the change process.
    Yeah, as I recall the new section which basically says, "Psyche! J/K lolkthx" was tacked on with the other significant weapons law changes in 2007.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •