• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Restricted Locations?

mustangkiller

We all know that there are certain places we can't carry. Hospitals and nursing homes being among them. There is an exception that says if you have written permission from those places, the restriction doesn't apply to you. My question is this, if my church gives me written permission would I be exempt? Besides, most hospitals are privately owned so I assume that's why they can give written permission. Since ALL churches are privately owned, shouldn't the same rule apply?

ak56

Campaign Veteran
We all know that there are certain places we can't carry. Hospitals and nursing homes being among them. There is an exception that says if you have written permission from those places, the restriction doesn't apply to you. My question is this, if my church gives me written permission would I be exempt? Besides, most hospitals are privately owned so I assume that's why they can give written permission. Since ALL churches are privately owned, shouldn't the same rule apply?

§ 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER.
(a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally fails to conceal the handgun.
(b) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, on or about the license holder's person:

(4) on the premises of a hospital licensed under Chapter 241, Health and Safety Code, or on the premises of a nursing home licensed under Chapter 242, Health and Safety Code, unless the license holder has written authorization of the hospital or nursing home administration, as appropriate;
(5) in an amusement park; or
(6) on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of religious worship.
(i) Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6), and (c) do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.

If your church is not posted per 30.06, you are good to carry - no permission required ( same for hospital, nursing home, or amusement park).

mustangkiller

Wow, that's pretty sad. I've read that many,many times and for some reason missed the last part of that everytime . Thanx for the heads up.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
Wow, that's pretty sad. I've read that many,many times and for some reason missed the last part of that everytime . Thanx for the heads up.

You are not alone. I've had to point that out before on this and other forums.

My daughter and Son-in-law live in Lubbock, and my wife and I drive down from here in Washington State every spring to visit, so I try to know the carry laws of Texas (and points in between).

nonameisgood

The requirement to post hospitals and such was a change. Originally, you could not carry those places, even when not posted.

As usual, the laws got convoluted through the change process.

()pen(arry

The requirement to post hospitals and such was a change. Originally, you could not carry those places, even when not posted.

As usual, the laws got convoluted through the change process.

Yeah, as I recall the new section which basically says, "Psyche! J/K lolkthx" was tacked on with the other significant weapons law changes in 2007.