Thread: LE OC'g out of their jurisdiction & on college property

LE OC'g out of their jurisdiction & on college property

had an opportunity to be on a community college campus in Kinston over the weekend and two gentlemen were open carrying while attending, not instructing, a class with fifty other students. when approached about wearing a firearm while on campus they flatly stated even though they were off duty, and from around the durham area, they could do whatever they chose cuz were police.

my search of both NC statutes and federal regulations failed to find any such proviso regarding off duty law enforcement out of their jusidiction being exempt from appropriate firearm laws while on educational property?

yes, i found NC statutes allowing for LE to carry in the performance of their duty(ies)!!

i think what galled me the most was their attitude of WEARE police and can do whatever we want whenever we please!

thoughts from the peanut gallery on how to proceed?

wabbit
    But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most...
    A person who has for untold centuries maintained the imposing position of spiritual head of four-fifths of the human race...
    All religions issue bibles against him, and say the most injurious things about him, but we never hear his side. (twain)

LEO exempt

The answer to your question can be found in: NC Gs 14-269.2, paragraph G, subsection 1a.( A person exempted by the provisions of G.S. 14‑269(b).)

Which refers back to 14-269, paragraph b, section 5 , which exempts LEO. ( Sworn law‑enforcement officers, when off‑duty, provided that an officer does not carry a concealed weapon while consuming alcohol or an unlawful controlled substance or while alcohol or an unlawful controlled substance remains in the officer's body)

Only one of the conditions in section (b) has to be met.

It Does not state that officer has to be in his jurisdiction.

Quote Originally Posted by TFED12 View Post
    The answer to your question can be found in: NC Gs 14-269.2, paragraph G, subsection 1a.( A person exempted by the provisions of G.S. 14‑269(b).)

Which refers back to 14-269, paragraph b, section 5 , which exempts LEO. ( Sworn law‑enforcement officers, when off‑duty, provided that an officer does not carry a concealed weapon while consuming alcohol or an unlawful controlled substance or while alcohol or an unlawful controlled substance remains in the officer's body)

Only one of the conditions in section (b) has to be met.

It Does not state that officer has to be in his jurisdiction.
    me thinks mate you might read the heading of 14-269....'Carrying of concealed weapons' ...the LE blokes on campus were OC'g

so calling their commander worth while???

wabbit
    But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most...
    A person who has for untold centuries maintained the imposing position of spiritual head of four-fifths of the human race...
    All religions issue bibles against him, and say the most injurious things about him, but we never hear his side. (twain)

LEO'S are like the kings soldier of the olden day
    they believe they can do whatever they want to as long as they generate revenue for the Monarch

Quote Originally Posted by J-SiN View Post
    LEO'S are like the kings soldier of the olden day
    they believe they can do whatever they want to as long as they generate revenue for the Monarch

(ding) (ding) (ding) +1
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

I wonder if LEOSA has anything to do with it.

Attitude aside, I've got no issue with them carrying. I would much prefer to have the same option. But I also know enough LE to know that they get targeted off duty occasionally. A personal attack is a bit of a different beast than a random attack.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason
    I wonder if LEOSA has anything to do with it.
    Nope

(a) In General.--Chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, is
    amended by inserting after section 926A the following:
    ``Sec. 926B. Carrying of concealed firearms by qualified law
    enforcement officers
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

I suppose you could've made a "man with a gun" 911 call and watched the fun. Guns on campus - good. Off-duty LEOs with guns on campus - better than nothing. No guns on campus - bad.

thanks for the inputs...glad nobody else found anything as it give credience to by search capabilities...

think a fone call is in order to their commander next week...

wabbit

ps: chief, their attitude was the reason it spun me up also...if these blokes can carry why can't i...tho thinking of getting my special police certification...hummm