• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LE OC'g out of their jurisdiction & on college property

ncwabbit

had an opportunity to be on a community college campus in Kinston over the weekend and two gentlemen were open carrying while attending, not instructing, a class with fifty other students. when approached about wearing a firearm while on campus they flatly stated even though they were off duty, and from around the durham area, they could do whatever they chose cuz were police.

my search of both NC statutes and federal regulations failed to find any such proviso regarding off duty law enforcement out of their jusidiction being exempt from appropriate firearm laws while on educational property?

yes, i found NC statutes allowing for LE to carry in the performance of their duty(ies)!!

i think what galled me the most was their attitude of WEARE police and can do whatever we want whenever we please!

thoughts from the peanut gallery on how to proceed?

wabbit

TFED12

LEO exempt

The answer to your question can be found in: NC Gs 14-269.2, paragraph G, subsection 1a.( A person exempted by the provisions of G.S. 14‑269(b).)

Which refers back to 14-269, paragraph b, section 5 , which exempts LEO. ( Sworn law‑enforcement officers, when off‑duty, provided that an officer does not carry a concealed weapon while consuming alcohol or an unlawful controlled substance or while alcohol or an unlawful controlled substance remains in the officer's body)

Only one of the conditions in section (b) has to be met.

It Does not state that officer has to be in his jurisdiction.

ncwabbit

The answer to your question can be found in: NC Gs 14-269.2, paragraph G, subsection 1a.( A person exempted by the provisions of G.S. 14‑269(b).)

Which refers back to 14-269, paragraph b, section 5 , which exempts LEO. ( Sworn law‑enforcement officers, when off‑duty, provided that an officer does not carry a concealed weapon while consuming alcohol or an unlawful controlled substance or while alcohol or an unlawful controlled substance remains in the officer's body)

Only one of the conditions in section (b) has to be met.

It Does not state that officer has to be in his jurisdiction.

me thinks mate you might read the heading of 14-269....'Carrying of concealed weapons' ...the LE blokes on campus were OC'g

so calling their commander worth while???

wabbit

J-SiN

LEO'S are like the kings soldier of the olden day
they believe they can do whatever they want to as long as they generate revenue for the Monarch

chiefjason

I wonder if LEOSA has anything to do with it.

Attitude aside, I've got no issue with them carrying. I would much prefer to have the same option. But I also know enough LE to know that they get targeted off duty occasionally. A personal attack is a bit of a different beast than a random attack.

NCBobD

I suppose you could've made a "man with a gun" 911 call and watched the fun. Guns on campus - good. Off-duty LEOs with guns on campus - better than nothing. No guns on campus - bad.

ncwabbit

thanks for the inputs...glad nobody else found anything as it give credience to by search capabilities...

think a fone call is in order to their commander next week...

wabbit

ps: chief, their attitude was the reason it spun me up also...if these blokes can carry why can't i...tho thinking of getting my special police certification...hummm