• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Okie in NC question

Pulp

I'm in NC for a week or so and just have a couple of questions. Am I correct that any restaurant that serves alcohol is off limits for CC? In Oklahoma you just can't go into the bar area. Also, I think I read about theaters are off limits. I'm going to the Arlo Guthrie concert in Durham Wednesday night at the Carolina Theater.

J-SiN

you may not carry a firearm to any place whether openly or concealed that an admission fee is charged

linerider69

Here it is.  Assemblies and establishments where admission was charged. §14-269.3
 Assemblies and establishments where alcohol is both sold and consumed. §14-269.3On any private premises where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises. Be safe and carry where you can always.

Last edited:

carolina guy

Here it is.  Assemblies and establishments where admission was charged. §14-269.3
 Assemblies and establishments where alcohol is both sold and consumed. §14-269.3On any private premises where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises. Be safe and carry where you can always.

Almost...but not entirely correct:

§ 14‑269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.(b) This section shall not apply to the following:(1) A person exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14‑269;(2) The owner or lessee of the premises or business establishment;(3) A person participating in the event, if he is carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol with the permission of the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event; and(4) A person registered or hired as a security guard by the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event. [FONT=Times New (W1)][FONT=Times New (W1)](1977, c. 1016, s. 1; 1981, c. 412, s. 4, c. 747, s. 66; 1993, c. 539, s. 165; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)[/FONT][/FONT]

Entry to an establishment where a fee has been charged is NOT included in the list above...only an "assembly", the establishment is ONLY where alcohol is sold AND consumed.

As a side note, I have not found anywhere in NCGS where "assembly" is defined...which makes me believe (IANAL) that it can only be construed to be something where EVERYONE is there for a single common purpose... ie. a concert, business conference speech, etc.

GrizzlySG

I thought it was if a primary alcohol establishment? Local wing place allows of aslong as your not drinking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmatting

I thought it was if a primary alcohol establishment? Local wing place allows of aslong as your not drinking

If the local wing place serves alcohol it doesn't matter matter what they allow. It is against state law to carry there if they sell any alcoholic drinks.

GrizzlySG

If the local wing place serves alcohol it doesn't matter matter what they allow. It is against state law to carry there if they sell any alcoholic drinks.

Well now I know. I've never carried in there as I just recently turned 21 but I've saw several people carry in there.

carolina guy

Well...keep your fingers crossed for HB17 to pass and likewise in the Senate!

GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF NORTH CAROLINA
SESSION 2013
H 1
HOUSE BILL 17

Short Title: Gun Permits/Restaurants & Confidentiality.
(Public)
Sponsors:
Representatives Burr, Hager, Hollo, and J. Bell (Primary Sponsors).
For a complete list of Sponsors, refer to the North Carolina General Assembly Web Site.
Referred to:
Rules, Calendar, and Operations of the House.
January 31, 2013
A BILL TO BE ENTITLED
AN ACT TO ALLOW PERSONS WITH CONCEALED HANDGUN PERMITS TO POSSESS HANDGUNS IN RESTAURANTS AND EATING ESTABLISHMENTS IF NOT PROHIBITED BY THE POSTING OF A NOTICE PROHIBITING POSSESSION ON THE PREMISES AND TO PROVIDE FOR THE CONFIDENTIALITY OF INFORMATION REGARDING CONCEALED HANDGUN PERMITS AND PISTOL PURCHASE PERMITS.
The General Assembly of North Carolina enacts:
SECTION 1. G.S. 14‑269.3(b) is amended by adding a new subdivision to read:
"(5) A person on the premises of an eating establishment as defined in G.S. 18B‑1000(2) or a restaurant as defined in G.S. 18B‑1000(6), provided the person has a valid concealed handgun permit under Article 54B of Chapter 14 of the General Statutes. This subdivision shall not be construed to permit a person to carry a concealed handgun on the premises of an eating establishment or a restaurant where the person in legal possession or control of the premises has posted a conspicuous notice prohibiting the carrying of a concealed handgun on the premises in accordance with G.S. 14‑415.11(c)."
SECTION 2. G.S. 14‑415.17 reads as rewritten:
"§ 14‑415.17. Permit; sheriff to retain and make available to law enforcement agencies a list of permittees.permittees; confidentiality of list and permit application information; availability to law enforcement agencies.
(a) The permit shall be in a certificate form, as prescribed by the Administrative Office of the Courts, that is approximately the size of a North Carolina drivers license. It shall bear the signature, name, address, date of birth, and the drivers license identification number used in applying for the permit.
(b) The sheriff shall maintain a listing, including the identifying information, of those persons who are issued a permit. The permit information shall be available upon request to all State and local law enforcement agencies. Within five days of the date a permit is issued, the sheriff shall send a copy of the permit to the State Bureau of Investigation. The State Bureau of Investigation shall make this information available to law enforcement officers and clerks of court on a statewide system.
(c) Except as provided otherwise by this subsection, the list of permit holders and the information collected by the sheriff to process an application for a permit are confidential and are not a public record under G.S. 132‑1. The sheriff shall make the list of permit holders and the permit information available upon request to all State and local law enforcement agencies. The State Bureau of Investigation shall make the list of permit holders and the information collected by the sheriff to process an application for a permit available to law enforcement officers on a statewide system."
SECTION 3. G.S. 14‑405 reads as rewritten:
"§ 14‑405. Record of permits kept by sheriff. sheriff; confidentiality of permit information.
(a) The sheriff shall keep a book, to be provided by the board of commissioners of each county, in which he shall keep a record of all licenses or permits issued under this article, including the name, date, place of residence, age, former place of residence, etc., of each such person, firm, or corporation to whom or which a license or permit is issued.
(b) The records maintained by the sheriff pursuant to this section are confidential and are not a public record under G.S. 132‑1; provided, however, that the sheriff shall make the records available upon request to all State and local law enforcement agencies."
SECTION 4. G.S. 14‑406 reads as rewritten:
"§ 14‑406. Dealer to keep record of sales. sales; confidentiality of records.
(a) Every dealer in pistols and other weapons mentioned in this Article shall keep an accurate record of all sales thereof, including the name, place of residence, date of sale, etc., of each person, firm, or corporation to whom or which such sales are made, which record shall be open to the inspection of any duly constituted State, county or police officer, within this State.made. The records maintained by a dealer pursuant to this section are confidential and are not a public record under G.S. 132‑1; provided, however, that the dealer shall make the records available upon request to all State and local law enforcement agencies.
(b) Repealed by Session Laws 2011‑56, s. 3, effective April 28, 2011."
SECTION 5. This act becomes effective December 1, 2013.

If it passes, I would take it that unless a theater posted, you could carry there as well since they also serve food for consumption on premises, per G.S. 18B‑1000(2)

§ 18B‑1000. Definitions concerning establishments.The following requirements and definitions shall apply to this Chapter:
<snip>
(2) Eating establishment. – An establishment engaged in the business of regularly and customarily selling food, primarily to be eaten on the premises. Eating establishments shall include businesses that are referred to as restaurants, cafeterias, or cafes, but that do not qualify under subdivision (6). Eating establishments shall also include lunchstands, grills, snack bars, fast‑food businesses, and other establishments, such as drugstores, which have a lunch counter or other section where food is sold to be eaten on the premises.