• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are cops really hiring hits on cop watchers?

Freedom1Man

http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2013/02/03/18731288.php

Today on Feb 3rd (2013) Drug dealers in People's Park have admitted today that Berkeley Police has recently asked them to assault local cop-watchers in retaliation against a complaint being heard by the Berkeley Police Review Commission which involves local police reform and Occupy activists. The dealers explained that the police have made a deal that BPD would look the other way provided they would keep cop-watchers out of People's Park and off of Telegraph Ave.

"The cops said they would make things hard for us, if we didn't get you to leave." - Anon drug dealer, revealing deal with police

"I'm going to punch you in the face. I know who you are, and I am going find you. The police will not protect you; they don't want you around." - A second dealer

A local cop-watcher was surrounded in People's Park, and threatened to be beaten if the individual did not leave the Park. The drug dealers explained that the Berkeley police are giving them amnesty on Telegraph and in People's Park if they would remove cop-watchers out of the Park. They seemed assured there would be no consequences to the attack, as if the attack truly would have police approval. Two maintenance workers cleaning the Park restroom, who happened to be in the area, moved closer to make their presence known, which prevented the attack. The cop-watcher was surrounded and pinned, and could have been killed.

Ca Patriot

How about the cop watcher that was shot and killed by police in (arkansas or alabama) ?

I am pretty sure they set him up for that and then murdered him.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

Cop watchers record everything.

Where is the recording?

There is an audio of the cop watchers murder!
It is in a thread posted here on OCDO.

Back to the OP. The story doesnt hold Reason...
Why would drug sellers want to remove the small amount of protection that the cop watchers
afford them against the cops that may violate thier rights against unreasonable search and siezure.
After all the cop watchers are not in that area to bust the druggers,
they are there to bust Bad Cops!

EMNofSeattle

Well i'm sure that the drug dealers are all honest, fair, and upstanding citizens of the community, well-respected, charitable.
I mean I see no reason why they would ever decieve anyone or exaggerate anything. probably the first people the police would go to if they wanted a professional job done on cop-watchers....

now let me re-read this and look for any evidence corroborating these fine upstanding citizen's story as told in this pulitzer-prize winning institution of unbiased journalism....

OK i've re-read it 6 times now, I must be going blind because no matter how many times I read it it's just the uncorroborated word of felons.....

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

Most criminals said that they would avoid armed targets too if they can.

most criminals as surveyed by who? criminals on-probation? or in the state pen?

I don't care what the criminals say, they don't need to fear my gun 'til they're looking down the barrel.
And that is completely different then the reliability of a felon who deals drugs to children in the park and is a complete leach on society going around claiming a non-specific berkeley police officer said some non-specific thing and that means he was hired to conduct a "hit" on some guy with a camera.

You wanna know what I think? I think the dealer was doing a shady deal and mr. Cop block was filming the deal so the dealer and his buddies decide to run the camera-nerds off their business grounds and then claim the cops told them too so that the camera guys would be too busy with that story to record the innocent dealings of drug dealers in the park. what do you think?

And I also bet that if we knew these dealers real identity the court dockets would show they probably have multiple priors and charges currently pending.

Last edited:

Ca Patriot

Its a fact that police oppose citizens from video taping them and the police engage in false arrests and other forms of bullying and intimidation tactics to prevent citizens from filming them.

I video police often and I have been the victim of these illegal and unconstitutional tactics.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Its a fact that police oppose citizens from video taping them and the police engage in false arrests and other forms of bullying and intimidation tactics to prevent citizens from filming them.

I video police often and I have been the victim of these illegal and unconstitutional tactics.

Good point. And, how many times has a certain agency of the fedgov been tied to drugs? And, how many times have police officers been implicated in drug distribution?

While the internet report doesn't carry a lot of weight, the story seems pretty plausible to me.

eye95

There is an audio of the cop watchers murder!
It is in a thread posted here on OCDO.

Back to the OP. The story doesnt hold Reason...
Why would drug sellers want to remove the small amount of protection that the cop watchers
afford them against the cops that may violate thier rights against unreasonable search and siezure.
After all the cop watchers are not in that area to bust the druggers,
they are there to bust Bad Cops!

That recording will not support the contention in the thread. Again, cop watchers record everything. Where is the recording of people saying that cops "hired" them to "hit" cop watchers?

Ca Patriot

That recording will not support the contention in the thread. Again, cop watchers record everything. Where is the recording of people saying that cops "hired" them to "hit" cop watchers?

Cop watchers dont record everything and the people making the claim werent cop watchers.

eye95

The quoted statements use the word, "you." Clearly they are being made to the cop watchers. If they are not being made to the cop watchers, then those statements do not support the titular contention.

Again, if these statements were made to the cop watchers, where is the tape?

Ca Patriot

The quoted statements use the word, "you." Clearly they are being made to the cop watchers. If they are not being made to the cop watchers, then those statements do not support the titular contention.

Cop watchers dont record everything.

I am not saying these allegations are true BUT....the statements were made from a civilian to a civilian. No police were present. So why would cop watchers be taping ?

Personally I find the stories believability low.

papa bear

1. i read nothing that said the statements were made to COP WATCHERS

2 the cops would not have made any statements in front of cop watchers

so why would you think there was a video or audio

eye95

1. i read nothing that said the statements were made to COP WATCHERS...

Apparently, you did not read the post to which you were replying. Either that or you have difficulty with context. The statements that are being used to support the contention in the title of the thread were clearly made to cop watchers.

Let's throw another "Duh" out there.

OC for ME

"The cops said they would make things hard for us, if we didn't get you to leave." - Anon drug dealer, revealing deal with police

"I'm going to punch you in the face. I know who you are, and I am going find you. The police will not protect you; they don't want you around." - A second dealer
It seems that the "dealers" were in fact speaking to "cop watchers."

Re the legitimacy of the source.

http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2003/12/08/16643971.php

The comments re the "article" are interesting......WARNING!!!! colorful language used. Read at your own risk.

http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2013/02/03/18731288.php?show_comments=1#comments

YMMV.

papa bear

Apparently, you did not read the post to which you were replying. Either that or you have difficulty with context. The statements that are being used to support the contention in the title of the thread were clearly made to cop watchers.

Let's throw another "Duh" out there.

here's the "Duh" right back at you i re-read both the post and the article , and don't see where the statement was given to COPWATCHERs. can you give a cite to where either the post or the article said that the statements were given to COPWATCHERS?

eye95

Read OC for Me's post.

He sees it.

It is kinda clear.

Hint: Look for the word, "you."

Duh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

EMNofSeattle

here's the "Duh" right back at you i re-read both the post and the article , and don't see where the statement was given to COPWATCHERs. can you give a cite to where either the post or the article said that the statements were given to COPWATCHERS?

"The cops said they would make things hard for us (these are the words of the drug dealer), if we didn't get you to leave." - Anon drug dealer, revealing deal with police

"I'm going to punch you in the face. I know who you are, and I am going find you. The police will not protect you; they don't want you around." - A second dealer (quoting another drug dealer)

A local cop-watcher was surrounded in People's Park, and threatened to be beaten if the individual did not leave the Park. The drug dealers explained that the Berkeley police are giving them amnesty on Telegraph and in People's Park if they would remove cop-watchers out of the Park. They seemed assured there would be no consequences to the attack, as if the attack truly would have police approval.

My comments are inside parenthesis and bolded. the bolds without parenthesis are my emphasis on parts of the excerpt

it seems clear to me that an account of the dealers saying this to the copwatchers is what's being conveyed.