Thread: How to conduct research in a law library?

How to conduct research in a law library?

earth's crust
    Courthouses have public law libraries (most law schools restrict theirs) .. ya walk in .. and begin

S. Kitsap, Washington state
    Quote Originally Posted by EvonneDalton View Post
    It depends upon what you're looking for.

laws libraries vary, there's usually law libraries on site at the courthouses, these will contain full volumes of statutory law, my local county law library has the entire volumes of the RCW, the WAC, and United States Code, they also have the minutes of all legislature sessions, the county code, the codes of all cities in the county, rules of evidence etc.

Also some law libraries (mostly at universities) will contain monographs, which are detailed research on a specific subject.

really there's alot of stuff, what are you looking to learn? I may be able to give you more specific advice,
    also all of the courthouse law libraries in my area usually have librarians who can help you find what you're looking for.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Pocono Mountains of PA
    Use that computer of yours! Thanks to the Internet your computer is the best law library going, rapidly outpacing (if it already hasn't) the need for your getting into a car and driving to a given library, law library or otherwise, where the subject matter is limited by the library budget as well as the size of the building itself.

Don't understand? Have a look at "THE LAW LIBRARY" at the top of this site. Once there, go over over to "page 2" and find "PRACTICING PRO SE" and you'll get an idea of what I mean but be warned - there's a lot there - right here - right now - all thanks to this specific web site.

Need help? Just ask.

Last edited by tyc; 02-06-2013 at 12:37 PM.

in front of my computer, WI
    Drive-by one-post wonder, from out of country.
    Even if it came back, I doubt much of what advice people here could come up with would apply over there.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Very quietly...
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip