• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How to conduct research in a law library?

EMNofSeattle

How to conduct research in a law library?

It depends upon what you're looking for.

laws libraries vary, there's usually law libraries on site at the courthouses, these will contain full volumes of statutory law, my local county law library has the entire volumes of the RCW, the WAC, and United States Code, they also have the minutes of all legislature sessions, the county code, the codes of all cities in the county, rules of evidence etc.

Also some law libraries (mostly at universities) will contain monographs, which are detailed research on a specific subject.

really there's alot of stuff, what are you looking to learn? I may be able to give you more specific advice,
also all of the courthouse law libraries in my area usually have librarians who can help you find what you're looking for.

tyc

Use that computer of yours! Thanks to the Internet your computer is the best law library going, rapidly outpacing (if it already hasn't) the need for your getting into a car and driving to a given library, law library or otherwise, where the subject matter is limited by the library budget as well as the size of the building itself.

Don't understand? Have a look at "THE LAW LIBRARY" at the top of this site. Once there, go over over to "page 2" and find "PRACTICING PRO SE" and you'll get an idea of what I mean but be warned - there's a lot there - right here - right now - all thanks to this specific web site.

Need help? Just ask.

tyc

Last edited:

MKEgal

Drive-by one-post wonder, from out of country.
Even if it came back, I doubt much of what advice people here could come up with would apply over there.