• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT but MO specific

Broondog

i apologize for this off topic post but this is a Missouri specific proposal and it will get a good audience here. mods, delete if necessary (but really, please don't).

i proposed to Senator Romine (R-3rd) and Representative Engler (R-116th) that a bill safeguarding the ability to keep a firearm in a locked vehicle on our workplaces property would be a good thing for our state. as you may know, some employers have anti-gun policies in effect and could terminate you for keeping a gun in your car on their lot. since we all carry and since going home to get your sidearm after work before going elsewhere is pretty dumb, i have a feeling many of us break our company policy on this.

so to that end i wrote a letter suggesting new legislation. if each one of us put a bug in our legislators ears either in support of, or drafting a bill for, a workplace firearms rights kind of thing, we could make it happen. here is what i wrote in case it helps you in your letter writing efforts, and to maybe understand better what i am getting at.

Dear Missouri Elected Official,

I am writing you today to request the introduction of a bill for the benefit of our great state. We could call it the Missouri Workplace Safety Law, or something to that effect.

This bill, should it be passed, would protect the rights of law abiding firearm owners and allow them to keep lawfully owned firearms in their locked vehicle while said vehicle is on the property of their employer and protect them from termination for said action.

Lets use Kentucky Statute 237.106 as an example.

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times New Roman, serif]237.106 Right of employees and other persons to possess firearms in vehicle -- Employer liable for denying right -- Exceptions. [/FONT]

1. [FONT=Times New Roman, Times New Roman, serif]No person, including but not limited to an employer, who is the owner, lessee, or occupant of real property shall prohibit any person who is legally entitled to possess a firearm from possessing a firearm, part of a firearm, ammunition, or ammunition component in a vehicle on the property.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times New Roman, serif]http://lrc.ky.gov/KRS/237-00/106.PDF[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times New Roman, serif]Many lawful gun owners are faced with the choice between abiding by their company's firearm prohibition policy or their inalienable right to self defense. A law such as the one linked above would eliminate the need for this choice and create a more stable employment situation.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times New Roman, serif]Please let me know what you think of such a piece of legislation as I welcome conversation on such topics.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times New Roman, serif]Thank you for your time.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times New Roman, serif]Sincerely,[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times New Roman, serif]Broondog
[/FONT]

i hope that you all will support this legislation as i believe it will benefit us all.

mspgunner

Good idea. A like bill has been introduced in the past. There are many 2A Bills in the mix this year, a good time to do this as well.

i apologize for this off topic post but this is a Missouri specific proposal and it will get a good audience here. mods, delete if necessary (but really, please don't).

i proposed to Senator Romine (R-3rd) and Representative Engler (R-116th) that a bill safeguarding the ability to keep a firearm in a locked vehicle on our workplaces property would be a good thing for our state. as you may know, some employers have anti-gun policies in effect and could terminate you for keeping a gun in your car on their lot. since we all carry and since going home to get your sidearm after work before going elsewhere is pretty dumb, i have a feeling many of us break our company policy on this.

so to that end i wrote a letter suggesting new legislation. if each one of us put a bug in our legislators ears either in support of, or drafting a bill for, a workplace firearms rights kind of thing, we could make it happen. here is what i wrote in case it helps you in your letter writing efforts, and to maybe understand better what i am getting at.

i hope that you all will support this legislation as i believe it will benefit us all.

OC for ME

237.106 Right of employees and other persons to possess firearms in vehicle -- Employer liable for denying right -- Exceptions.
(1) No person, including but not limited to an employer, who is the owner, lessee, or occupant of real property shall prohibit any person who is legally entitled to possess a firearm from possessing a firearm, part of a firearm, ammunition, or ammunition component in a [privately owned] vehicle on the property.
"Company" vehicle is not your property. This is a good law if it is passed into law.